Lust Have It Women's Box November 2014 - review

/
0 Comments

What a pleasant surprise to have an LHI box turn up in the right month! That's not meant to sound sarcastic - if LHI is managing to improve its operations, that's a good thing and it means we're being heard. Yay to that.


I was quite excited about the package's arrival this month because we'd been able to pick a blush from The Cosmetic Kitchen. 

I chose Raw Cacao from the four colours on offer since I don't have much in the brown department. Unfortunately the product is too pale for me and doesn't show up at all, but I'll talk about that more below.


Not a bad mix of products : )

I'll go through each item in turn, and as usual I'll give my initial thoughts on the box now and then update this post once I've used everything.


Essenzza Fuss Free Natural Japanese Facial Treatment Masks (RRP $4.95 x 2; received full size)

I was happy to see the Essenzza masks because I fell in love with the face wipes from that brand when we received those in a previous box, so I have high hopes for these.

They're cloth masks (and we know how I don't think much of those!) so it'll be interesting to see whether I like them or not. I got the 'moisturise and smooth' version, which contains antioxidants from carrot and coconut. Apparently those ingredients will help prevent dry skin and increase the skin's ability to retain moisture.

Let's see : )

UPDATE: I used one of these and decided to give the second one away as part of a Christmas present. There was nothing wrong with the mask, I just felt it was wasted on me because - like any cloth mask - I didn't enjoy using it. Compared to other similar masks I've used, this one was no better or worse; although it's cheaper than most so that's a plus!


The Cosmetic Kitchen Pressed Mineral Blush (RRP $34.95 for 8g; received full size)

According to the product card, The Cosmetic Kitchen has taken the original qualities of its loose mineral blush, added some jojoba oil for moisturising and herbal extracts for 'extra goodness'.

This was the sneak peek item for the month, and as mentioned earlier, I chose Raw Cacao. On The Cosmetic Kitchen's website, it's described as a 'neutral tan rose blend'. I wouldn't call that description inaccurate - it's just that the product barely shows up! On my skin, it might as well just be a powder highlighter.

And I can't tell you how much product I had to apply in the above and below swatches to get it to show up - it was a hell of a lot. I did try it on my face (which is darker than my inner wrist) and you couldn't see it at all - so I haven't included that photo. It may fare better on those who have paler skin - I'll be interested to see what others have to say about the colour.


As to quality, it feels nice (creamy and not chalky) and blends well. I think the packaging could have been a bit more interesting, but that's hardly the main thing ; )

What I'll do is play with this some more and report back. I doubt I'll be using it as a blush - if the shimmer isn't too much, it could almost be used as an illuminating finishing powder.

UPDATE: Full review here. In short, this is a really lovely product in terms of quality, it's just that the colour isn't for me. I have to put heaps on for it to show up, and by then it starts looking cakey. If like me you have medium (or darker) skin and are having the same issues, try using it wet as an eyeshadow. It does work to add a little shimmer to eg your cheekbones as well.


Aveda Color Conserve Daily Color Protect (RRP $49.95 for 100g; received 10ml sample)

I've read that a lot of people are bored with Aveda products showing up in LHI boxes. While I'm not there yet, I have to say I'm glad this is a hair product and not a face one - in my experience, Aveda skincare is rubbish but its haircare is reasonable.

This product is meant to preserve colour for up to six weeks (and thank god I could spell 'colour' correctly there and not have to spell it the US way, as I did for the product's title - I really hate having to do that to keep in line with the title of the product itself hehe. The trials of an anal writer/editor... Anyhoo!).

It's a leave-in treatment that's 93% naturally derived, and it aims to seal in colour and protect the hair from sun exposure/environmental damage.

I need a bit of all that so I'm happy to give this a crack.

UPDATE: This is a handy purse size and I've been using it as a leave-in treatment on the ends of my hair and also to manage flyaways. It's a nice enough product but it doesn't stand out for me (and it would want to at that price!): I think you can find products that are just as good for under $10 at the supermarket. It has a strong, peculiar scent - as many Aveda hair products seem to do - one that smells exactly like the sunscreen my mum used to put on us as kids. I like it but I wouldn't buy it.

Natralus Paw Paw Pure Gel (RRP $6.15 for 30g; received full size)

Who doesn't do paw paw stuff these days?! I have actually tried a small sample of this once before and from memory I didn't think much of it, but I'll keep an open mind.

It aims to soothe and cool summer sunburn, and relieve and hydrate skin irritated by sun-damage, dryness, rashes and minor burns.

This inclusion doesn't excite me but I'll definitely use it, which is always a plus.

UPDATE: This is nice and soothing, and I can see how it would have a great cooling effect on sunburn. I've been using it on my preggers belly and it's nice for that, it just leaves a bit of a sticky residue so it's not my favourite gel of this nature. Still, I'll use it - which is always a good thing.


Beaubox Eye Contouring Kit: the stare palette (RRP $35 for 12g; received full size)

Ha. Ha ha. Hmph.

That reaction sums it up really - when I opened this, I actually laughed and then felt annoyed. Someone at this company has obviously said: 'We should call this a contouring product - that sh*t's big right now.'

HOWEVER...

(and please tell me whether you agree/disagree)

...'contouring' is more about using MATTE shades to give more shape/definition to your face. Guys, come on - ANYTHING WITH BIG GLITTER CHUNKS IN IT IS NOT A GOOD CONTOURING TOOL.

IT'S A SPARKLY, NOTICEABLE EYESHADOW.

My golly. You're not supposed to be able to tell that you've given yourself some contouring action - how can you do that with this spread of discoball rubbish?!

On top of that, how on earth has this palette with cheap, ugly packaging - and equally cheap/chalky looking shadows - been priced at $35? The Models Prefer Nude Palette clocked in at $10, and that looks so much better than this!

Vent over. Ahem.

Hoh well. I am glad that I didn't get the brighter coloured version of this product, as some people did. I'm not going to open this one. If another blogger reviews it and likes it, it's going in the presents pile. Otherwise it's going to the op shop.

Look, every eyeshadow I've ever received from a sub box has been sparkly and I'm over it. Please give us some matte ones. Please pretty please. I'll be your best friend.

UPDATE: I made the decision not to open this one because I've learned not to open products that I don't think I'll use - it's much better to send them to a good home. I've just been looking for a decent review so I could include a link for you here, but I'm struggling. Do let me know if you've used this and what you think of it, so I can include those comments here. Thanks : )

Verdict

From an objective stand-point, this is a pretty good box overall and the total value is around $90. I'm on an (almost finished) annual subscription and I'm paying a fraction of that on a per-month basis, but even if you're paying $19.95 per month, you're still coming out ahead.

The Aveda, Natralus and Essenzza products are fair inclusions and I'll use all three.

The Cosmetic Kitchen blush is the best item in there - it's just unfortunate I picked a colour that's too pale for me to use for its stated purpose. Also, it looks browner than it is when applied, and unfortunately there weren't any swatches available for it online when I chose it, so I couldn't check the colour prior to making my selection. At least it's close enough in colour to its picture/description - unlike that ridiculous Casablanca Lip Lacquer from ModelCo we got in September's box, which was completely different from the pictured colour (and the description). Despite this, the blush is a nice product and I've no doubt I'll find some way to use it.

As for the eyeshadow palette (which is NOT a contouring palette ; ) ), I'll reserve judgement on quality until I've heard what others have to say about it, and we'll go from there.

What did others think of this month's package? I'd love to hear : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.