Project Pan 2017: intro

/
0 Comments
 

Welcome to Project Pan 2017! After PP 2016 I gave myself a couple of weeks off, just to muck around with whatever products I wanted and also to decide which ones I wanted to bring into my list for the new year.

If you follow my panning challenges, you may notice that I've kept a few products in this lot from last year's list but also removed some: this is because I like to start off the year with fresh items and I may well bring back some of the products I've removed as we get further into this year's challenge.

So, here's my starting list:

  • Bodyography Oxyplex Foundations in Wheat and Cocoa Tan
  • Bodyography Concealer in #430
  • Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in Light
  • Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector
  • Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Topaz
  • Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illuminiser
  • Josie Maran Coconut Watercolour Cheek Gelee in Honeymoon Honey
  • Too Faced Shadow Insurance
  • Vivito Illust Secret Blusher in PK02 About Pink
  • Mirenesse Mineral Marble Blush in Marenka Mink
  • Inika Certified Organic Eyeliner Pencil in Black Caviar
  • Mellow Ultra Matte Lipstick in Nude
  • Essential Apothecary Bright Toothpaste
  • Mecca Cosmetica Sunbrella Invisible SPF 50+ Spray
  • Reverie Milk Leave-in Anti-frizz Treatment
  • Davroe Smooth Senses Straightening Balm
  • Kerastase Elixir Ultime Hair Oil

That's seventeen products in total, which is around the fifteen that I like to keep on my list. You may notice that I don't have as many makeup products as usual: this is because I want to kick off 'gently' before committing myself to too many items that are in for the long haul, and also because I'm overloaded with things like haircare so I want to work on other categories throughout 2017 and not just makeup.

Let's have a quick look at each item in turn:


First up, my face powders. These are all carried over from last year: I deliberately introduced them then because I knew they'd take ages to pan and I wanted them done by the end of 2017.

Below I've marked the Bodyography powders so we can track them this way, but we'll have to rely on photos for the other two because there's no easy way to show progress:


The Vivito blush is getting mixed with my setting powder daily because it's finely milled and silky so I want to use it, but it doesn't show up on me as a blush and it also doesn't turn my face pink when mixed so that's how I'll get through it. There's definitely a dip in it but nothing close to pan yet.

I may have to find another angle for photographing the Mirenesse highlighter because it's a dome shape and I can tell by looking at it that it's a lot flatter (it's so old that it's powdery and the pigment isn't great so I can apply quite a bit to my body each time), but bird's eye photos won't show that so I'll play around with angles. Bear with me!

It looks like I've barely made progress in the Bodyography powders since last year's finale post: this is because I pour a little of each into a separate container to get my colour match, then use them daily that way. So next time I have to refill the container, we'll see more progress on these.


Here are four more complexion products. You'll note that I've not included a BB/CC cream or liquid foundation for the moment, which is unusual for me because I always have at least one of these on my list. However I'm in no rush to get through the base products I have open and I don't desperately need to get through them. While I would like to pan two foundations this year, I don't need to do that yet and I'm still deciding which two to finish.

Two of the above products are from last year so I've been able to mark them below, and the other two I've since marked so you'll see progress shots in my first update post, which I'll do at the end of January:


So you'll see that I've marked the Josie Maran highlighter and the Bodyography concealer. The Josie Maran product is getting mixed in with my moisturiser and I would love to finish it this month if possible. The Bodyography product is my yellow mixer for any base that's not yellow enough, and I can see that lasting until the end of the year.

As for Becca's Topaz, I've reviewed that here. Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfectors are my favourite liquid highlighters but in future I'll try to buy them in smaller sizes because they contain far too much product and they're so difficult to get through. This one's my darker mixer for any base that's too pale, but since I've used up all of my 'too pale' bases but one, I need to find some other way to get through it. Perhaps as a bronzing/illuminating primer. I'll have a play.

I love my Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in Medium, but this Light shade isn't as good and doesn't have the same coverage, so I'm using it as my paler mixer for any base that's too dark, and also to dab over the dark rings under my eyes if I need some extra brightening over my concealer. I haven't reviewed this product yet so stay tuned for that.

Looks like PP 2017 is the year of mixers for me! I love the ones I have but I've had them too long so I need to get through them and try other things.


Next up, my pots. I've carried over both the Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector and the Josie Maran blush from last year, so you'll be able to see some progress on those since the last time I checked in (my PP 2016 finale post is here).

Here's how my pots look:


As for the Essential Apothecary Bright Toothpaste, this came from Maslow & Co and I'm including it because I keep forgetting to use it and I also need to review it, so bringing it into Project Pan is a good way to make sure those things happen.

While the Josie Maran and Becca products will be around for a while yet, I hope to be done with the toothpaste by the end of February. We'll see.


Now for my hair products. These are all new inclusions so I can't show progress on them yet, but I've now marked them so you'll be able to see progress in January's update.

The Davroe Straightening Balm (reviewed here) isn't a great product for my dry hair so I'm using it on my daughter's normal hair as an after-washing treatment to help me get the knots out. This will take me at least six months to finish, even if I occasionally use it on myself as a pre-wash mask.

The Kerastase hair oil (reviewed here) just doesn't work for my dry hair, and I'll be using it as a massage oil so I can give myself a scalp massage before I wash my hair. This will also last at least six months.

The Reverie treatment also doesn't work for me but there's not much in there so I'll live with it as an anti-frizz treatment that doesn't do the job until it's gone. I suppose it does flatten my hair a little (without managing frizz) so at least it's not entirely useless. I hope to finish this within three months.


Last up, four miscellaneous products that are all new to my list.

The Inika eyeliner (reviewed here) I'm including because I don't use black eyeliner (I prefer brown) but I can live with this on my upper waterline so that's how I'll get through it. This may last out the year because eyeliners take forever for me to pan, although I'll aim to finish it faster than that because I want to move on to something else.

My Too Faced Shadow Insurance (reviewed here) has just about had it: it must have been open for almost two years now and it's started to go on patchily, which in turn makes the shadows I place over it patchy too. What I plan to do is mix in a drop of oil to thin it out and hopefully fix the patchiness, and I'd like to get through it within a couple of months. After that I plan to try Too Faced's Glitter Glue, so I'm looking forward to that.

The Mellow lipstick (reviewed here) is a good formula but the colour isn't quite right for me, so I'm using it combined with brighter lip products to tone those down. I'll include my marker paper in my January update post, but there's around a third or so gone already. I can see myself finishing this by the end of February because I use lip products quickly.

And finally, the Mecca Sunbrella spray. I haven't reviewed this yet and I don't use it because I don't love it, so I'm including it here to make myself get through it and also ensure that I review it. There's not much in this sample so I may well be done with it by the end of this month.

In sum

Yay for Project Pan 2017! I'm really pleased with my current list because it contains a good mix of products and also a balance of things I'll get through quickly and things I won't. As I start finishing items and moving in new products, expect to see some skincare because I need to work on that category too this year - face masks in particular.

Do let me know if you're doing Project Pan this year - I'd love to hear how you're going with it.

Speak soon x




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.