Marie Claire's The Parcel, April 2017 - unboxing and first impressions

/
0 Comments

I thought it was worth mentioning that when this box showed up two days ago, I wasn't that excited to see it and it took me half the day to even open it because I'd already seen the contents online and I just wasn't interested. 

By comparison, my Maslow & Co box arrived yesterday and I was bouncing out of my skin when I found it on the doorstep, plus I opened it straight away and I can't wait to get stuck into it.

This hoh-hum reaction to The Parcel's arrival just confirms that it's time to let my subscription go. I already knew I was doing that as soon as it expires, but it's nice to have the confirmation that this subscription isn't worth it for me. More on why below.


The Jergens creams are starting to make me laugh. Every bloody box, hello Jergens. While I'll always use body moisturiser and I've had reasonable luck with Jergens as a brand, this is starting to get ridiculous. I still haven't opened my last Jergens cream so this is going to the back of the pile.

The other thing that stands out to me in this bundle is the inclusion of two products designed for blonde hair. Now we received a full-sized item designed for blonde hair only two boxes ago (November's edit, unboxed here), so I think it's naughty that they've done it again. With sub boxes you expect to get the occasional product that won't work for you, but you shouldn't have to live with repeated items designed for one particular group of people within one subscription cycle. That's just not on. 

Plus it tells me that whoever curates these boxes doesn't really care. By comparison, you can tell that blood, sweat and tears go into curating Maslow & Co's boxes, so I want them to have my money instead.

Let's have a quick look at each item in turn.


John Frieda Sheer Blonde Colour Renew Shampoo & Conditioner (RRP $17.99 AUD each for 250ml; received 2 x 45ml samples)

This is apparently Australia's number one colour-correcting range for colour-treated blondes. The products should neutralise yellow tones to renew blonde colour. In just three uses, these claim to banish brassiness and renew and tone the hair.

As I said, I'll live with one product designed for blondes but I won't live with two more thrown in only two boxes later. Wrong. These have gone straight to the declutter pile.


Jergens Hydrating Coconut Lotion (RRP $6.99 AUD for 250ml; received full size)

Ah, the obligatory Jergens cream. Where would The Parcel be without one?! This should restore skin's luminosity with its unique illuminating Hydralucence blend and nourishing hydrators. It apparently has a rich texture and should absorb beautifully, leaving behind a light coconut fragrance.

What do I say? I use body cream and I like coconut. But I'm bored.

Biore Baking Soda Scrub (RRP $10.99 for 125g; received full size)

This is an oil-free and dermatologist-tested powder scrub that activates with water. It gently exfoliates your skin and then naturally dissolves so you never over-scrub. It claims to deep clean your pores and leave your skin visibly smoother in one week.

I'm suspicious. Is it a good idea to put baking soda on your face? Don't you use baking soda to clean? If anyone can shed some light on this, please leave a comment!


Bioderma Sebium Pore Refiner (RRP $36.99 AUD for 30ml; received 15ml sample)

This should mattify, refine and smooth the skin's texture. Thanks to a natural astringent action, dilated pores are tightened. Skin is left shine-free and more radiant. Its powdery finish makes it an excellent makeup base.

Bioderma is one of those brands that just can't seem to make a product that works for me, so I'm not thrilled about this inclusion and I also have dry skin so I tend to run from anything that makes me look matte. I'll try it but I'll probably declutter this, too.

Palmer's Cocoa Butter Moisture Rich Night Cream (RRP $14.99 AUD for 30g; received 15g sample)

With all the goodness of cocoa butter - nature's super beauty ingredient - this nighttime wonder contains retinol and vitamin e to promote softer, smoother and younger-looking skin. With the added goodness of peptides to protect cell structure, this is the perfect overnight repair treatment.

While I do like Palmer's for body care, I'm not sure it's a brand I'd turn to for facial skincare. Still, I'll use it. That's something.


La Roche-Posay Micellar Water Ultra for Reactive Skin (RRP $25.95 AUD for 200ml; received 50ml sample)

According to the card, this is an extremely gentle, rinse-free cleanser to remove makeup, dirt and impurities without redness or irritation. New micellar technology contains a boosted concentration of glycerin for optimal tolerance, comfort and hydration. It contains no parabens, colourants, fragrance or soap.

Another day, another micellar water. I've lost count of the number we've received from Marie Claire.

Burt's Bees Lip Crayon in Carolina Coast (RRP $16.95 AUD; received full size)

These are described as creamy, full-coverage matte lip colours that provide lightweight moisture for a comfortable, everyday wear formula.

I've reviewed one here. A lot of people seem to enjoy them but I didn't like mine because I found it really waxy and rather drying, so I decluttered it and I'll declutter this one too. The declutter pile is stacking up...


Elizabeth Arden Advanced Ceramide Daily Youth Restoring Serum (RRP $140 AUD for 30ml; received 5ml sample)

These capsules contain a ceramide formula in a single dose. The clinically and dermatologically tested formula delivers triple the anti-ageing power to enhance skin's barrier repair function, replenish essential lipids and support skin's natural renewal process.

This is the only item in the box that I'm looking forward to using. And it's 5ml in size : (

Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Eau Fraiche Skinscent (RRP $95 AUD for 50ml; received 1.5ml sample)

This fragrance comprises ingredients including juicy mandarin, Sicilian bergamot, amber, lemon and pulpy orange. I've tried it on and it doesn't smell great on me but I'll probably throw it in my handbag and use it anyway.

In sum

This wasn't a good box. I've given lukewarm support to some of the recent boxes from Marie Claire (both The Parcel and the Ageless Parcel) because even though they weren't exciting, at least they contained things I would use. Half of this one is headed for the declutter pile.

The problem with Marie Claire has always been that I could walk into Coles or Priceline and buy the contents of my boxes there - and that's not what I want from my subscription boxes. And although in the past I've felt the boxes were still good value (minus the excitement factor), I think the value has been slipping so it's no longer there.

And the blonde thing. That's just haircism. I mean really.

Let me know in the comments if you received this box and what you think of it if so.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.