Sachet city: samples used in July 2014

/
0 Comments

I decided to make July 'samples month', since I wound up with a bunch of sachets and minis that I needed to use up. The timing worked well because at the beginning of the month, I was just about through a round of Happy Skincare products and I thought it was time to clean out my stores.

I may well do one of these posts every few months or so, since it'll encourage me to use up things that I receive in beauty subscription boxes or as gifts with purchase. It's so easy to put these things aside (one generally gets much more excited about full-sized items than one does sachets!) and forget about them for ages. But as much as I don't like sachets, with some products (not all - eg the La Roche-Posay sample mentioned below), it is possible to get a feel for whether you like the sample or not - even if you've only got a few ml to play with.

Here are the samples I've used/am still using this month:


MOR Hand Creams, Basil & Grape and Blackcurrant Iris

This is my second round of trialling these samples. If you haven't tried MOR products, you must. These hand creams feel lovely and velvety, and the packaging is divine. I'm not such a fan of the Basil & Grape (too sweet for me) but the Blackcurrant Iris one is beautiful. I also have a tube of the Sugar Rose Tiger Lily hand cream, because I fell for the antique chair pictured on the tube and HAD to buy it and display it (how bad's that?!). If you search online, you can find the full sizes for a good price (eg Daintybelle sells them for $12).

Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream

I've gone through a full-sized tub of this in the past, so I feel nice and qualified to review it : ). The bonus of this cream is that you can use it for so many things - face, body, hair, as a mask, for extra dry patches, as well as for scars, stretch marks, burns and the like. I'm in the minority here, but I'm not blown away by it. Plus it retails for $49.00 for 118ml. You'd have to love it for that price. 

I think my issue with it was mainly that my expectations were far too high - it's a cult item that's used and loved by women the world over, including celebrities (so of course it MUST be amazeballs. Ha). But my reaction was more meh than wow. This may also be because the Happy Skincare oils I'd been using prior to this were better, and they do similar things for a cheaper price. Plus Happy is Australian and I like supporting local brands.


Olay Regenerist Revitalising Hydration Cream (RRP $34.99 for 50g)

I've used this before and was happy-enough to sample it again. It's SPF15, which is important for me in a day cream. I like it, but it's not something I'd buy for myself (I received this in a subscription box). It's quite heavy/greasy and therefore good for winter. I tend not to use it as part of my usual skincare routine, but apply it during the day if I need some hydration. And then I have to apply powder afterwards to get rid of some of the shine. Ha.

La Roche-Posay Effeclar Duo (RRP $27.95 for 40ml)

I've tried this a couple of times and I'm not quite sure where I sit with it. I remember really liking my last sample of it, but this one didn't wow me on the first couple of uses. By the third, I liked it better. It's hard to tell much from such a small amount - you need a few more applications to properly trial a product like this. It's supposed to reduce severe imperfections and unclog pores in 30 days. There's only a few days' use in a 3ml sample, but I reckon the product could deliver. I've also read some rave reviews on it, so the jury's still out. Have you tried it? What did you think?


Vaseline Healthy Radiance Anti-ageing Lotion

I've received this in two different beauty boxes (don't you hate double ups?!) in the past few months. Foo. Hoh well, at least it's a decent product. It's nice to have an anti-ageing lotion for the body; why should our faces get all the attention? It's thick but not greasy and feels super-hydrating. You can buy a 225ml bottle at Priceline for $7.69, so it's nice and cheap. A stamp of approval from me : )

Nurtimetics Nutri-rich Nourishing Masque (RRP $39 for 75ml)

Nutrimetics is a company I've heard of but I've never used their stuff before so I'm glad I got a chance to trial it. It smells wonderful (apricot, but not overpowering) and glides on smoothly. In terms of impact, however, not much goes on. My skin felt nicer afterwards - but then, it does after splashing water on my face too - but I didn't feel any real difference. Plenty of other masks exist that do a better job, methinks.


Nuxe Creme Nirvanesque (RRP $49.99, 50ml) and Eye Contour Creme (RRP $44.99, 15 ml) 

I received Nuxe mini sachets in subscriptions boxes three times in six months. I say mini because they're 2ml in size and most sachets seem to hit the 5ml mark. The products are fine, the stand-out being their wonderful dry oil, which there's been so much hype about. I can confirm that they smell nice - that's something ; ). These two are the blue lotus variety, but I much prefer those I received in my May Violet Box (see here).


There's the colour:


Benefit's Big Easy Multi-balancing Complexion Perfector (No 4, Medium)

I had high hopes for this one (as most of us do when it comes to Benefit!) but was a bit disappointed. I received three small samples of this product when I was at the Benefit counter in the city last week and was looking forward to giving them a go. 

I used the first card (enough for one application) and could barely notice a difference to my face - aside from the fact that the product sat in the pores around my hairline (but nowhere else. Weird) and was therefore visible. The product is build-able and so I cracked open the second sachet and put on another layer. The coverage was better, although not great, and I still had the pore problem. 

After a few hours' wear, I wasn't sure about the staying power either. It retails in Oz at $55 for 35ml, so it's pricey. If you want a good BB cream, try Garnier's Miracle Skin Perfector. It's the best BB I've tried (and I've certainly tried a few) and you can pick it up in supermarkets, discount chemists, Target etc for $14. If you shop around, you'll probably find it cheaper than that - those types of places often run good specials.



Mabelline Dream Pure BB Cream (RRP $15.95 for 30ml)

This is the medium colour. I've gone through a tube of this before and it's great, but not my favourite. It's a bit too greasy for me and needs a setting powder. The version I had also didn't have any sunscreen in it, and I reckon sunscreen is an essential in BB creams. They're meant to be all-in-ones, yes? Having said this, I'm again in a minority here because I know a lot of women who swear by this one. At any rate, you can't go wrong at that price.


Eslor Soothing Refiner & Cleanser

I've trialled this before and unfortunately wasn't wowed by it, but I gave it a go again with an open mind. It aims to cleanse without stripping the skin and contains goodies like aloe vera gel, glycerin and hops extract. After another trial, I have to confirm that this is probably the only Eslor product I've tried so far that I don't like. It doesn't feel like it does much, and my skin doesn't feel fresh and clean after use (which is what I personally look for in a cleanser). Maybe it's just too gentle for me! It costs US$28 for 60ml, so it's one of their cheaper items.

Eslor Comforting Mask

I've trialled this before also, and I've currently got it on my face for the second time this week. It contains seaweed extracts, minerals and proteins. It goes on smoothly and feels lovely on, but from memory (and also from present experience) it doesn't have a great impact. Having said this, I've been spoiled by Cellilux's Glacial Mineral Gel, so most other masks pale in comparison. I also think that Eslor's Chlorophyll Lifting Mask is the better product. Still, my skin does feel a bit nicer after use. It costs US$38 for 50ml.

Eslor Soothing Cream

Oh how I love thick face creams! This feels wonderful and sinks in nicely. Despite the thickness, it's not greasy and heavy; it just feels hydrating and, yes, soothing. The ingredients include ginkgo biloba, avocado oil and hazelnut oil, and the cream aims to regenerate and calm the skin. It can be used as a day and night cream. Price: US$65 for 50ml. It's not my favourite in the Eslor range, but I do like it.

In sum

Them's the samples! Phew, glad to have finished this post - it took a few days because I wanted to properly trial and review all the products. That meant taking the photos earlier and doing things in bits and pieces. Not my favourite way to write a post - all too much effort hehe. Still, hopefully it's useful. And yay to getting through my jumble of sachets!

Let me know if you've tried any of the above and have any comments on them : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.