Sachet city: samples used in December 2015

/
0 Comments

I haven't done one of these posts for ages and I realised recently that I needed to because I have so many sachets lying around that have been piling up over the last few months.

All but one of these products is new to me and it was a good time to do this post because I've just finished the CC cream I was using and I'm also exhausted after a big year, which means I need a lift from trying new things.

So short of going crazy and spending money we don't have, I thought it was a good time to pull out some fun samples to play with : )


Bobbi Brown CC Cream SPF 30+

I just assumed that I would like this product because it's from a good brand and it's a CC cream (and I love those), but unfortunately it didn't work for me at all.

It dried really quickly so I ended up with patches on my face because I wasn't expecting that, so I had to reapply it. It also felt and looked like paint on my skin, so much so that my husband kept reminding me that he could see my makeup and didn't like it. Thanks husband ; ). So this product is definitely not for me!

SK-II Facial Treatment Mask

This was another product I expected to be good, given it's from a brand that's well outside my price range - but unfortunately it wasn't as good as other sheet masks I've tried, and I don't even like sheet masks to start with.

The fluid was a sticky gel that left my skin feeling coated and uncomfortable, and it also left little bits on my face so I can tell that it wasn't absorbed well. A big pass for this one!


Alpha-H Liquid Gold

As you may know, this is one of my HG products and I can't rave about it enough. Full review here. It's one of the few products that I keep buying and I can see myself doing so forever. Whenever I use it, my skin looks brighter, cleaner, younger and more even. It also feels a lot smoother and just looks healthier overall. Love.

Michael Korrs White Luminous Gold

I received this product from a sub box and while I normally like sampling new perfumes, this scent just isn't for me. It's hard to describe but it's not a nice scent at all and there's something metallic, musky and severe about it. Plus it's one of the worst scents I've used in terms of wear-time: it's almost gone within an hour. I'd avoid this one.


Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream

This is one of the worst bases I've used in a long time. It was far too pale for me and it's super thick, but I put it on like a regular BB cream to start with because I was expecting something light and thin.

I then had to add a darker BB cream and also an oil over the top in an attempt to spread it out and make it look better, but it still looked like a mask. I've got it on now and I can feel it on my face - it's uncomfortable and looks and feels like paint. Not for me!

Josie Maran Cosmetics 100% Pure Argan Oil Light

I've been wanting to try Josie Maran's Argan Oils, so I was pleased to see this little sample. Mind you, it's such a tiny sachet that you only get a couple of uses from it - which isn't enough to make a decision on a product in my books so I think samples this small are pretty useless.

I did like the product because it was a light, hydrating oil that my skin drank up quickly, but I can't say whether I would put this on the wishlist because you can't tell much from two applications. I will look out for another sample or two though since I do love a good facial oil and the jury's still out on this product.



Dermalogica Soothing Eye Makeup Remover

This is a really odd product. It's a makeup remover that's in gel form, and you apply it to a wet cotton pad and then rub it over your face. I didn't love the consistency but it did dissolve most of my makeup - it just didn't remove mascara.

I'm always on the lookout for decent removers that don't cost much and that do remove mascara, but this one doesn't tick either box so it's not one I would buy.

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm

This is an eye cream and I had high hopes for it because I've used some good stuff from these guys before, but I didn't like this product on me.

It's quite thick and powdery to the touch and it feels that way when applied. It doesn't hydrate my dry skin well because it doesn't feel like it absorbs, but instead sits on top of the skin - plus it's a mattifying product that feels and looks drying. It might be good for oily skin but it's not right for me.


Alcina Eye Balm

This was a nice eye cream and I enjoyed using it because it was hydrating and absorbed well, but it didn't stand out for any particular reason: eg it wasn't super nourishing or firming, nor did it do anything for my fine lines.

It's one of those products that I'm happy to use if it comes my way, but it's not one I would buy because I need more from my eye cream. In my experience, great eye creams are really hard to find and I'm always on the look-out for one, but this isn't it.

Goldfaden MD Wake Up Call

This is an overnight regenerative treatment for dry, ageing skin, and I absolutely loved it. It's a great product for summer because it's so cooling and soothing when you apply it, and it's almost worth buying for that reason alone.

I got a few applications from the sample, and each time I used it I wanted to buy it. Then I saw the $125 price tag. While I'll pay a lot for decent skincare, this one is out of my budget so I'll have to admire it from afar. Pity!

In sum

There were some big misses in this bunch - the coloured products in particular - and it may well be the worst bundle of sachets I've used in one hit. Foo! The stand-outs were the Alpha-H and Goldfaden MD products, but the others I can take or leave.

I might do another one of these posts in January since I've got quite a few sachets lying around and I'd like to start the new year with less stuff : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.