Pan that Palette 2018: January update (Burberry, Hourglass etc)

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my first update for Pan that Palette 2018!

Happily it's been a great opening month for me and I've made a lot more progress than I thought I would - especially when it comes to my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette.

Also, we're early into the panning year so of course I'm feeling nicely motivated and haven't tired of anything yet! 

Bet fellow panners can relate ; )


First up, my Hourglass blush palette. Above and below are photos of the palette as it was, one month ago when I kicked off Pan that Palette 2018.

You'll note below that I'd already started scraping out the pale swirls in each powder (being the Ambient Lighting Powder portions of each pan), so I had some reasonable progress last month:


And here's how my palette is looking today, after one month of daily use:


Same shot, enhanced for clarity:


My golly, what a difference! I knew I could make decent progress on this after using my 'needle method' when I included this palette in Project Dent last year, but I certainly wasn't expecting to make as much progress as I have.

Here's what I've been doing:


Luminous Flush (left): this is my least-favourite blush in the palette because pink doesn't suit me - and of course as luck would have it, it's the one with the smallest amount of pearl in the pan. I keep hoping for some pearl to peek through as I use it, but all I keep finding is more pink! 

I've been using this on the eyes and I've also been mixing some pink with the pearl from Incandescent Electra (below) to use as my facial highlight. Plus I run my brush through it before dusting my face with setting powder. Sure, I don't use much that way (unless I want to have a pink face ; )), but every bit helps!


Incandescent Electra (middle): this is my favourite blush of all time, so I've had absolutely no problem applying this to my cheeks every day. Sometimes I think 'oh, I should use another blush from my collection for a change', but I don't want to! 

Funnily enough, if I use mostly pearl and a tiny bit of the peach pigment, Incandescent Electra is also one of my favourite highlighters. Lucky I have a full-sized back-up ; )


Mood Exposure (right): this is the surprising one. The progress I've made on this is huge and I wasn't expecting it. I've always wanted to buy Mood Light because Mood Light and Dim Light are the only two Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders that don't have tiny flecks of shimmer in them, and while at first I thought I didn't have much Mood Light in this blush, as I've excavated the pan, I've discovered that I have heaps of it below the plum surface. Huzzah! 

I've been using Mood Light daily as a finishing powder, and the plum pigment works beautifully as a topper to 'Hourglass airbrush' my eye looks. 

While I previously thought I would pan this whole palette in a year if I was lucky, I'm starting to think that I might even get there a little earlier...


Now for the Burberry quad. This is my biggest makeup regret of all time (so far, touch wood), which is why I want it out of my collection. Happily though, I have found a way to use it and not necessarily enjoy it, but I've at least found that it serves a purpose. More on that in a sec.

Here's how it looked one month ago:


And here's how it's looking now:


There's definite progress here, and you can see that I've deliberately focused my brush in the green and rose shades so I could hit pan early on - for the simple reason that I like to know exactly where the pan is!

I've also expanded the pan in the pale bronze shade, which isn't hard to do because it has zero pigment so all I need to do is load my brush with it before mixing it with another shadow that actually shows colour when applied.

The dark brown and 'green' (which in practice is a muddy grey) make my perfect cool-toned brow colour when mixed, and that's how I've mostly been using those. The 'green' also has rubbish pigment, so I need to use a lot of it to make the dark brown pale enough to work well on my already-dark brows (if I go too dark, my brows look like they've been painted on).

The rose shade is nice - it's the only decent shadow in this palette - and I've been using it daily through the crease. Slow and steady wins the race.

Last up, my custom palette:


Here's how it looked one month back:


And here's how it's looking now, after one month of use:


As always, let's go by sections.

Here's the left side, as it was one month ago:


And here's how it's looking now:


As you can see, there's not much movement in Nars Isolde or Stila's Luster, although I have used all three quite a few times during the month. I'm not super focused on these shades at the moment because I'm working on other shadows, but I will use them more as the year moves on.

Happily I've hit pan on the Clarins bronzer, although it's only a tiny amount! I've been using this as a body bronzer (shoulders, chest etc) because I don't love it on the face, so I'm making the most of the fact that it's summer and I can go to town with it on exposed body skin! It's not super pigmented so I have to apply a lot each time, which is helping with progress. Day at a time ; )

Here's the right side of my palette, as it was last month:


And here's how it's looking now:


The big news here is that I've finished Stila's Kitten and Bubbly. This wasn't difficult because there wasn't much left and both shades were carried over from Pan that Palette 2017, but it's nice to have finally cleared them out. Funnily enough, I panned them by using them on my shoulders and collarbones. They're a bit too high-shine for me to use in everyday eye looks, but I did love them on the collarbones especially.

Otherwise I've expanded the pans in the purple and teal shadows (I mixed these myself from various old shadows) and I've almost finished Stila's Sunset (bottom left, re-pressed into a smaller pan), which I've also carried over from last year. 

I hope to have Sunset and the teal shadow finished in February. As for the other powders in this section, let's talk about those once I've started making more progress on each.

Last up, the round pans. Here's how they looked last month:


And here they are now:


The Becca cream shade is on the way out. I've been using that not only to set my eye primer, but also to manage oil around my nose throughout the day. It also works well enough as an all-over setting powder, and my aim is to pan it completely in February. 

The Ardency Inn shadows in Heaven, Disco and Rose Gold: I don't love any of these on me for various reasons (must review them soon), so I tend to use these as 'play' shadows. That is, when my husband gets home and relieves me from two-toddler-duty, I hide away for a while and play with my makeup. I've always done this - light makeup during the day and then playing with colour and different looks in the arvo before my shower - so since I've always done that anyway, I might as well use shadows like this for that purpose! These are also the kind of shadows that show decent progress even if you don't use them that often (something about the formula), so I can't see any issues with finishing them in 2018.

In sum

It's been a pretty good first month for Pan that Palette 2018 and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do in February!

Also note that once I've panned a few more shades from my custom palette, I'm planning to recharge it like I did last year so I can finish as many shadows as possible in 2018.

Oh! Here's my Pan that Palette intro post if you're interested in seeing that : )

Let me know in the comments how you're going with your own panning projects: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.