Sachet city: samples used in July 2015 #2

/
0 Comments

While we're looking for a bigger place, we've moved into my parents' house since they're overseas and their joint is near Mecca Maxima. I haven't worked out yet whether that's a good or bad thing: unlike Mecca, Mecca Maxima houses a number of more affordable brands and products - and travel sizes of more expensive products - so it's very easy to go in there and say 'well, this only costs $19 so it's ok'. That can add up pretty quickly!

But I'm still on my $50 monthly cosmetics budget and I've blown it a little this month because a Ren skincare special popped up whereby if you spent $85 on Ren items, you got a free travel set of Ren products. Since I'd planned to buy a few Ren items anyway, I just accelerated that purchase and bought two months' worth of stuff so I could get the free pack. This also meant a number of visits into Mecca Maxima to work out exactly what I was going to buy, so I've accrued a lot of sample pots in the last month and I now need to get through them!

Still, testing skincare is one of my loves so I'm not complaining, and I do need to collate my next round of skincare since I'm currently using some travel-sized Alpha-H and Eslor products, and they won't last forever.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is: expect a few of these sachet city posts from me in the near future!


Suki Eye Lift Renewal Cream - Day

This was a Violet Box sample and I really loved it. The full size costs $79.95, which is around what you'd expect to pay for a great eye cream and it's certainly not the most expensive eye cream I've tried of late. It absorbs instantly and brightens/lifts the area, plus it feels soothing and I like the texture and feel on my eye area. Violet Box is still running a 20 per cent discount on Suki products and I have a bunch of points to use up, so I'll buy this in September since I've already blown my July/August beauty budget. Love.

Suki Even-tone Brightening Serum

I really loved this one too - indeed, I've loved almost every Suki product I've ever tried. It definitely brightens the face and absorbs quickly and well, making your skin look more plumped and just happier in general. I have another sachet of this that I'll test next month, to see whether I want to buy it. It's not available in the VB shop so I'll have to source it elsewhere, but it's definitely on the wishlist.


Suki Balancing Facial Oil

I've used this before and I loved it. Full review here. It's nicely hydrating without being greasy or leaving a slick residue, and it feels lovely on and has an anti-inflammatory effect. This particular oil is designed for combo/oily skin, however, and I'm better off with the oil that's meant for combo/dry skin - so if I buy a Suki oil, it will be the other one.

Origins Dr Weil Mega Bright Eye Cream

This is a lovely eye cream but I'm not sold on it. It feels velvety on the skin and it's quite thick and absorbs well, I've just tried some better eye creams recently (eg the Suki one above) so it didn't stand out. It's more affordable than many, however (it costs $55), so don't discount it - especially if you can pick it up on special. I can imagine using this one for day and a different eye cream for night.


Mecca Cosmetica To Save Face Superscreen SPF 50

My most-trusted Mecca staff member gave me this sample and recommended it for use under makeup, and I did really like it. It's an amped-up version of the best-selling Mecca Cosmetica To Save Face 30+, and is described as a lightweight, non-greasy, ultra hydrating formula that works well as a primer under makeup. I did really like this and I think those claims are true - it doesn't feel heavy like some sunscreens can and it didn't feel like it clogged pores. There's so much in this sample that I saved half and I'll trial it again in a future sachet city post, just to see whether I want to commit to buying either this or the regular 30+ version (which you can buy in a smaller size).

Ren Keep Young and Beautiful Instant Firming Beauty Shot

Ach, seems I can't escape this product. I've reviewed it here and you'll see in that review that I really didn't like this product because I found that it tightened my skin (in a bad way) and made it feel dry. That same Mecca staff member mentioned above urged me to try this again, but to try it over moisturiser - which isn't what the instructions recommend. I must say, I did prefer it that way because it didn't make my face feel quite so awful, but I'm still not sold on this product.

Ren Flash Rinse 1 Minute Facial

I loved this from the first use. I bought a value pack of Ren stuff when I made the skincare purchase mentioned above, and it includes a tube of this. I wouldn't have made the purchase if I hadn't used this sample, so the sample service that Mecca offers definitely pays off in terms of sales!

This is described as a transforming treatment that instantly revitalises and visibly rejuvenates the skin. Formulated with potent water-activated vitamin C, it's meant to give immediate spa facial results, leaving skin firm, toned and smoothed.

It does those things. Can't wait to crack open my little tube : )


Ren ClearCalm Clarifying Cleansing Balm

This is described as a purifying antibacterial cleanser that's formulated to combat the appearance of breakouts and blemishes, leaving skin visibly clearer and calmer. This is another product that I loved from first use, and it's gone straight to the wishlist so I might use my October beauty budget to buy it - it costs a reasonable $36 for a massive 150ml bottle, so it's well within my budget. It's soothing and smells wonderful, and I think it cleans well too. While it's not specifically designed for dry skin like mine, it's gentle enough for me to use and will hopefully help target the blemishes I get around my chin.

Ren V-CENSE Revitalising Night Cream

This is apparently formulated to hydrate, recharge and renew the skin, while providing antioxidant protection. I did like it and it melted like butter into my skin, feeling wonderful at the same time. But I've used better night creams and I'm not sold on this one, so I might need to investigate products from other brands that I can use in conjunction with the Ren products I have/want (which are mainly cleansers and treatments).

Ren ClearCalm Clarity Restore Mask

I absolutely loved this mask, but it costs $59 and I prefer the Ren radiance mask that I tried in my last sachet city post - and I bought the Ren skincare value pack because it contained a full-sized one of those. So I think that's enough money spent on Ren masks for the moment and I might look at this one again next year to see whether I still like it.

It's described as a purifying treatment mask that visibly prevents and diminishes the appearance of blemishes, and the sample wasn't enough to know whether it actually performs that function - all I know is that it felt great on the skin and my face looked fresher after using it.

In sum

Some lovely products in here and ones that I plan to get my hot little hands on, if I haven't already! The stand-outs are the Suki serum and eye cream, and the Ren clay cleanser and one minute facial (the restore mask too).

So much to choose from! I can't wait to explore the other little sample pots I have on hand so I can keep compiling my skincare routine for next year.




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.