Sachet city: October 2017

/
0 Comments

I've been really keen to knock out another round of sachets during October: that way I can spend November and December working on some travel-sized samples and minis, which I also need to do.

My aim is to start 2018 with less small stuff in the cupboards; for some reason I've collected too much smaller stuff over 2017 (more so than in previous years), to the point where I have more of that than I do full-sized products.

Anyhoo. Let's have a look.


Dermalogica Sheer Tint Light SPF 20

This apparently provides a light coverage while protecting your skin with broad spectrum SPF 20. It contains hyaluronic acid and walnut seed extract, to help improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of fine dehydration lines.

This is as sheer as you might imagine a tint to be, to the point where it does absolutely nothing in terms of coverage (at least for me). Perhaps if you were very fair it might do something, but I'm yet to come across one of these tints that does anything for evening out my complexion so I don't really see the point of them.

It has a sweet scent that I'm not sure how I feel about, plus it takes some work to rub in and leaves behind a residue and a tacky finish. Not a fan. I reckon you go for either a sunscreen or a tinted moisturiser/BB cream: these tint products don't make sense to me.

Dermalogica Redness Relief Primer SPF 15

This is a redness-reducing, broad spectrum primer for sensitised skin. It should neutralise, relieve and defend against inflammation and redness.

I really liked this, and I wasn't expecting to so it was a nice surprise. It's a green product with a powdery texture, but when you apply it to the skin, it sheers out so you don't look like a martian.

It's smoothing and feels nice on, and while I don't think it did a hell of a lot for redness, it was still a nice primer and I like that it contains sunscreen. I probably wouldn't buy it but I did enjoy it.


Dermalogica Ultrasmoothing Eye Serum

This is described as powerful, anti-ageing care for sensitive eyes. It claims to be a velvety smooth eye serum that hydrates the delicate eye area while addressing fine lines and wrinkles.

I must say, I absolutely loved this. It's super rich and a little oily in texture, and my dry skin couldn't get enough of it. You only need the tiniest amount each time so even these little samples lasted a while, and I found that the product worked well for both day and night use because it sat comfortably under makeup but was still hydrating enough to keep my dry eyes comfortable overnight.

You can find this online for around $60 AUD so it's not the most expensive eye product on the market, and I'll certainly be looking out for specials because it's the right kind of eye cream for me.


Kérastase Aura Botanica Bain Micellaire Shampoo and Soin Fondamental

The shampoo is described as a gentle, effective formula that transforms into a luxurious lather, cleansing away all impurities. The conditioner is described as a lightweight product that melts into hair fibres for deep, durable nutrition and frizz control.

The shampoo was rubbish and I needed to do three washes to get my hair close to clean. Indeed, normally I go through twice as much conditioner as shampoo - but in this case the reverse was true. It did smell lovely, but not lovely enough to warrant the $44 AUD price-tag.

The conditioner was decent. It smelled nice and it left my hair feeling beautifully nourished and healthy. Mind you, it also left a coating on my hair so it reduced the time between washes, and my hair looked a little dull after use due to the coating.

Together these didn't work that well because the shampoo didn't clean properly, but when I used the second dose of conditioner with another product, I liked it better. I wouldn't recommend either though, especially considering how expensive they are.


Kat Von D Lock It Foundation in 54 Medium and Lock It Hydrating Primer

The foundation is described as a 24-hour powder foundation with a flawless, matte finish. It should be budge-proof, sweat-proof and smudge-proof.

The primer is described as a hydrating, water-based primer that’s specially designed for long-wear foundations. It’s infused with nourishing ingredients (including vitamin B5, aloe vera, jojoba and shea butter) and should help long-wear foundations glide evenly onto skin for a poreless, soft finish.

The primer has a super sweet scent that I wasn't a fan of, but it is very hydrating so I liked how it felt on the skin. I agree that it has a smoothing effect and it also did feel nourishing, so it was quite a nice product for my dry skin.

I was expecting to hate the foundation because I don't like full coverage and I don't like a matte finish, but it wasn't too awful and it didn't look like a mask (although granted, I didn't build it up to full coverage). Yes it was too much coverage for me and I prefer a dewy finish, but it did look like skin and it also wore well throughout the day. I'll be doing a swatches and first impressions post on this, so stay tuned for that if you're interested.

It says on the sample card that you can mix the primer and foundation for a sheerer coverage, so I did that three times and I really liked the effect. The combination was dewy, felt hydrating and it just looked like skin. It also didn't sit in pores or emphasise texture, and while I wouldn't go out and buy both products to use as one, I was happy enough to use these two sample cards.


Mario Badescu Enzyme Revitalising Mask

This is described as a moisture intensive, alpha hydroxy mask that's ideal for dull, dry or mature skin. Papaya and grapefruit extracts are the natural exfoliants, blended with antioxidant vitamin A and E oils, giving the skin a refreshed, glowing appearance.

One of the things I love about Mario Badescu's sachets is that they're always huge. The last eye cream sachet I received was 3ml (it lasted for ages) and this mask is 10ml. That's enough for plenty of applications, so you know exactly how you feel about it.

I like this. It smells fruity and it feels like a hybrid oil/cream. It spreads beautifully and feels nice and cooling when applied, then it tingles a little so I can feel it doing something. It doesn't tingle as much as my other AHA products so I think it's quite gentle, but it does do something and my skin looks and feels fresher and more hydrated after use. It's brightening too and it only costs $28 AUD for the 56g full size, so it's a steal.

Omorovicza Refining Facial Polisher

Enriched with marine micro-algae, this claims to refine texture and brighten tone, while natural pumice exfoliates dead skin cells, smoothing the epidermis and helping regenerate the skin.

I've used this before and it is a nice product - it contains plenty of very fine grains that offer a gentle exfoliation that never feels too abrasive - but it's not the most effective exfoliant I've tried. Yes it resurfaces and brightens a little, and my skin does feel beautifully soft after use (without feeling irritated), but for the $112 price-tag, it would want to be bloody amazing. 

I personally prefer Kate Somerville's ExfoliKate (reviewed here): I just think that does more for my skin and I don't need to use it as often, so it works out to be better value because I can just buy the small size and that will last me a year.

In sum

This was a good little bunch of empties and I may well buy that Dermologica eye serum. I did also really enjoy the Mario Badescu mask, but I have so many masks at the moment that I won't be needing another one anytime soon.

That's all from me! Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.