Five good things: November 2017

/
0 Comments
My son is asleep for longer than usual this morning and my brother just dropped by to take my daughter out to a playground (thanks lil bro), so I find myself with a bit of extra time up my sleeve - and since I don't want to attack the pile of clean washing just yet because all I ever seem to do is fold the same clothes over and over again, I thought I would sit down and sneak in another post.

And the sun's out, the fridge is full of food that I didn't cook (thanks mum), and while there's mess on the floor as always, it's nothing I need to deal with right now. Sounds like a good day for a positives post.

In no particular order...


Mushroom burgers

We've had mushroom burgers twice in the last month, and we're set to have some more this weekend so they absolutely warrant a mention.

If you're from Melbourne and you haven't yet made it to the Prahran Market for mushroom burgers, then you must. They cost $10 AUD each and although they're quite simple, there's something about how they're done that elevates them to the sublime. I can't quite describe it and I've had mushroom burgers from other places that aren't anywhere near as good as these ones: something about them just works.

Better yet, if you meet some friends there for a mushroom burger and a coffee, you also have the benefit of being in a market so you can get some grocery shopping done after you've stuffed yourself full of that mushroom-y goodness. And then there's the baklava...

Anyhoo. The simple things, yes?


We've almost made it through another year

I like November, always have. It's warm but it's (mostly) not too hot, any remains of winter have been cleared out during September and October, and it's heading towards the holiday season but it's not so close to Christmas that things are too crazy busy.

November isn't a lazy month but it tends to be a happy one. We're out and about more, the kids are happier because there's better weather so we're spending more time outside, and I also haven't got my festive grumpy hat on yet (you guys know by now how I struggle with Christmas ; )) so there's nothing much to complain about.

I also tend to have more mushroom burgers at this time of year, which certainly helps...


My son has been asleep since 10.15am

I mentioned this in the intro, but it definitely warrants another mention here. Normally the little guy sleeps for around an hour between 10.30am and 11.30am, but he's been down for 2.5 hours now so it's made the morning go that little bit faster and easier.

If you have more than one child (mine are both toddlers), you'll know that having one of them asleep or out with someone else feels like a break, so I've had that break this morning and then my brother arrived at midday so I've had the last forty-five minutes kid-free.

Of course I could be spending that time doing all sorts of cleaning (and I might, after this post), but why waste a good moment? I've eaten in peace, I've been to the bathroom a couple of times by myself just for the hell of it, and I'm writing an extra post today because I can. Huzzah.


We've found a new show

I'm sure that I've mentioned finding a new TV show in one of these posts before, but I'm going to do it again because you can't beat good television and you especially can't beat it after you've had a dry patch.

We did try a show called Fortitude that was rather promising to start with, but it went very whacky very quickly, and after the first season we were dumb enough to try season two because we liked the characters and cared what happened to them. Season two ended up being nothing short of ridiculous (you could tell that the actors didn't quite know what to do with the script) so that wasn't a pleasant experience, and since then we've struggled to find something else.

We've now come across a French show called The Bureau, and so far it's very good. Yes it's a struggle to read the subtitles when you've been dealing with screaming kids all day and your head's throbbing, but for a good show we can live with it. We're only four episodes in but, so far, two thumbs up.


We've done all our Christmas shopping

Every year I start looking out for Christmas presents around October. You may have noticed that there are often sales in October, so I take advantage of those and make sure everyone's been bought for well before December. I hate last minute Christmas shopping: I've done it before and it never ends well so I learned my lesson a long time ago.

Better still, over the weekend we were able to leave the kids with my parents so we've now done their shopping too, and while the credit card bill isn't looking pretty, I don't mind that because there's a reason for it and we won't be hit by any festive expenses between now and the new year (touch wood). Yay.


In sum

That's all from me! I hope you enjoyed this little post and that you've got plenty of your own positives for the month.

Do let me know in the comments if anything good is happening in your corner at the moment: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


All images courtesy of unsplash.com


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.