February 2018 empties #2

/
0 Comments

I was just scrolling through my unedited photos to look for some shots of a particular product, and I came across this bunch of empties photos. On investigation I realised that I never did my empties post for January - oops! Looks like we have another lot for February, then ; )

So without further ado...


Sukin Energising Body Scrub with Coffee and Coconut

Full review here. I really enjoyed this product because it offered the things I love about a coffee scrub - the scent and the good exfoliation - without coming with the usual mess because it was a cream product so it adhered better to the skin than a dry scrub usually does. 

I've used this before and really enjoyed it, so I went ahead and bought another one last time Priceline had a sale. I'm pleased to report that I enjoyed it just as much the second time around, so it's one to keep in mind if you're after a reasonably priced body scrub that's enjoyable to use. Repurchase? Yes.

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturiser (Medium to Tan)

Full review here. I've used Jergens products before and liked them but this one didn't hit the mark. Indeed, it's the second one I've received and I didn't like the second tube any more than I did the first one (thankfully I didn't pay for either of them).

I didn't like the chemical scent but I could have lived with it if the product worked well. It didn't for me, unfortunately: it was really difficult to spread and it didn't want to absorb (meaning I used far too much per application so it's not good value), and it also gave me a patchy tan. On top of that it had a weird, sticky texture, so I didn't enjoy using it. Purchase? No.


Natural World Moroccan Argan Oil

Full review here. I love this stuff and indeed it made my yearly favourites for haircare in 2017. Not only is it cheaper than many, but it also comes in this handy little handbag-sized bottle - perfect for touching up on the go. Yes you can buy a larger bottle but I wouldn't recommend that because it takes me ages to get through one of these smaller ones since you need so little each time.

It nourishes, repairs, tames frizz and adds shine and moisture - exactly what my locks need. Plus I can apply it liberally and it doesn't weigh my hair down - even if I use it throughout the lengths and not just on the ends. Definitely worth trying. Purchase? Yes.

Mecca Cosmetica All Set Makeup Perfecting Mist

This came as part of our Mecca birthday gifts last year and I really enjoyed it. Full review here. Indeed, the only thing I didn't like about it was how expensive it is when you consider the small amount of product you get, and that's the only reason why I wouldn't buy it.

It's lightweight and has a nice, refreshing scent that I enjoyed. The mist itself was also very fine (just how it should be) and what I noticed most about the product was just how refreshing and cooling it felt on the skin. Soothing. I would almost buy it for that reason alone: my dry skin loved it.

The product also helped stopped makeup transfer throughout the day so it's one to consider if you're someone who touches their face a lot or has young kids (who tend to put their hands on your face frequently), as I do. Purchase? No, but only because it's expensive for the amount of product you get. 


Stila Eyeshadow in Gilded Gold

This was originally in a different pan but I put it into a smaller pan when I needed to re-press it so it would fit into my custom palette. The shadow was from Stila's In the Light Eyeshadow Palette, a cult classic that's sadly been discontinued so you can no longer buy it. 

Gilded Gold was a beautiful, rich warm brown with red/golden undertones. I'll miss it but it was time for it to go. Repurchase? No, I have enough eyeshadow!

Lanolips 101 Ointment Multi-Balm in Green Apple

Full review here. A lot of people swear by Lanolips balms but unfortunately they don't anything for me - at least when applied to the lips. 

This is a very slippery balm and I don't find it to be hydrating at all (it sits on top of my lips, rather than nourishing them). It also stings my lips when applied so it's not something I can tolerate wearing for long. 

Happily with a product like this you can use it for other things (dry skin on your feet/elbows/knees, dry cuticles etc) so I was able to find some use for it - but I wouldn't buy it just for that. Repurchase? No.

NYX Butter Gloss in Madeline

I'm sure you've heard everyone rave about these and they're not wrong - these glosses are fantastic and I can't wait to try more of them. I've reviewed this one here.

They're comfortable and hydrating, they come in great colours, and you can pick them up for a song if you wait for specials. I honestly can't imagine ever not having one in my purse because I know I can rely on them to plump up my lips and keep them nourished, whether I'm wearing one alone or over something else. Repurchase? Yes.


Bioderma Sensibio H2O Solution Micellaire

Full review here. Call me weird, but this product has never worked for me and I've been through countless bottles now (all courtesy of sub boxes) so it's safe to say that it never will.

I've used so many micellar waters that work well at removing makeup but for some reason, this one barely does any more than water would do on my skin. It's bizarre: I don't get why it works for everyone else and not me, but there it is. It's expensive for a micellar too, so perhaps I should just be happy I've found budget ones that work better for me than this does. Purchase? No.

Antipodes Joyous Protein-Rich Night Replenish Serum

This was a really beautiful product and I was sad to see it go. Indeed, I've tried a lot from Antipodes over the past year and this was definitely one of my favourites. I've reviewed it here.

It's a thick serum that's more of an oil in texture so it probably won't suit those with oily skin, but it was lovely for my dry, dehydrated skin. It smells like berries and it was the perfect serum to use at night: it kept my face feeling hydrated and nourished until the morning. Recommended. Repurchase? Yes.


Hammam Olive Secret Shower Paste

This is an unassuming little product that doesn't announce itself with fanfare - unlike eg the Rituals Shower Foams, which foam so beautifully and with such luxuriousness that you can't help but notice them. This one's more subtle than those but it gets you in the end. I've reviewed it here.

It's a thick, gel-like product and I can see why they've called it a paste. What constantly surprises me about it is just how little you need to get the job done, and also how hydrating it is. I've used shower oils that don't feel anywhere near as nourishing as this does (even a shower oil from Rituals itself), so something about the formula absolutely meets the claim that the product is 'ultra-nourishing' and good for dry skin. Love. Repurchase? Yes.

Alpha-H 24 Hour Moisture Repair Cream

I received two 15ml samples of this product (both of which I've now finished) and also this 30ml one - all received as GWPs - and unfortunately I didn't love it so I'm glad to be done with this final tube. I've reviewed it here.

Normally I love Alpha-H but I'm not sure about this product. It's thicker than most moisturisers I've used so I went through these tubes far too quickly (meaning the full size wouldn't be good value), plus it didn't do anything for me and I felt that it coated my skin, rather than sinking in and delivering nourishment. Purchase? No.


Avène Gentle Toner

Full review here. This product came from Maslow & Co and I was happy to try it because I've had reasonable luck with Avène in the past. Unfortunately I didn't love this toner and I think it's expensive for what it is, so it's not one I would recommend.

It left my skin feeling a little parched after use (perhaps it's not the best choice for dry skin) and it also had this weird, cloudy white sediment in the bottle that separated and sat at the bottom so you had to shake it before use. It just looked a bit odd and I didn't enjoy the process of using the product: it stripped my skin (although it's meant to be gentle) and left me feeling dehydrated. Purchase? No.

Banana Boat Soothing Aloe Mist After Sun Spray

If you haven't seen me rave about this product yet in my yearly favourites etc, check out my full review here. It's not designed as a 'makeup' product but it's one of the best setting sprays I've ever used and it only costs a few dollars if you can grab it on special. 

It hydrates, plumps and soothes the skin, plus it leaves a dewy finish that isn't too much and takes the 'edge' off your powders so your makeup looks merged and flawless. It reminds me in so many ways of MAC Fix+, only it's significantly cheaper and the bottle is huge. One of these lasts me around six months and I always repurchase it whenever I see it heavily discounted, which is often enough. Repurchase? Yes.

In sum

Well, that's my belated January empties in February! I'm pleased that I found these photos when I did so at least all the products are still reasonably front-of-mind.

Do let me know in the comments if you've finished anything amazing recently: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.