November empties - products finished this month

/
0 Comments

Another month, another truckload of empties. I think that's what happens when you sign up to a few subscription boxes: you wind up with a bunch of sample/travel sized products and there seems to be a constant flow of items in and out of the bathroom.

While I'm now only signed up to LHI and Violet Box (and on a spending ban), there's still quite a back-log in my stores and some products have taken me a while to get to. Fortunately, it was really this month that I noticed my stock starting to feel a little more manageable. Yay to that - it's half the point of the spending ban!


Dirty Works Body Scrub

I've reviewed this product in full here. In short, it's a great scrub for the $8 price tag - and I actually got it for free, so it was definitely worth that hehe. While it's not the best scrub I've used, I liked it and it's got plenty of scrubby matter in there. As you may know, I like my scrubs on the harsher side. Repurchase? Yes.

Rituals Yogi Flow Indian Rose & Sweet Almond Oil Foaming Shower Gel

I have to say, I was absolutely devastated when I finished this because it's not readily available in Australia. Full review here. It's a wonderfully fun shower gel that foams like nothing I've ever used before. It smells amazeballs and is super velvety, plus it cleans well. Repurchase? Yes, a thousand times.

Natio Body Creme

I couldn't actually find this online to get some info about it, so I'm wondering whether it's been discontinued. That would make sense, because I bought it for less than half-price on clearance at Priceline. In any event, I didn't think much of it and thankfully palmed it off to my husband ; ). The cream wasn't horrible, I just didn't like the smell and I have much nicer products to use. Repurchase? No.


Eslor Botanical Peeling Gel, Replenishing Scrub and Firming Eye Cream

Well, we know I'm an Eslor junkie ; )

I've reviewed all three of these separately (links below):
  • Eslor's Botanical Peeling Gel is a nice, gentle exfoliating product that feels lovely on, and has a great texture. While it's not my favourite peeling/exfoliating product (it's too gentle for me), I can see why it's one of Eslor's more popular products. Repurchase? Probably not.
  • Eslor's Replenishing Scrub is one of my HG products and I'm blo*dy glad I picked up a backup of this on special. It's wonderfully scrubby and smells toasty and full of goodness. I love it. Does wonders for my skin too in terms of resurfacing and brightening. Repurchase? Yes, obviously ; )
  • Eslor's Firming Eye Cream is a great eye cream and one I recommend for those with dry skin, particularly if you're no longer in your 20s and need something a bit more heavy duty. It's thick and rich and plumps the eye area nicely. My only issue with this product is that I'd have preferred a pump bottle or squeeze container, since eye creams last forever and I don't really want to be exposing the contents to air every time I unscrew the cap - nor do I want to dip my finger in there and accelerate the bacteria-growing process. That's my only complaint, however. A great cream. Repurchase? Yes.


ModelCo Party Proof Cream Lipstick in Splendourful

I've done a full review of this product too (sensing a theme here?! Ha). I've recently had an issue with ModelCo because we received a lip lacquer in one of our LHI boxes and my colour (Casablanca) was so far from the picture on the ModelCo website, it was ridiculous - it wasn't even in the same colour range. 

EVERYONE who ordered this colour complained about this, and ModelCo's response was some rubbish about everyone having different computer screen resolutions. Honestly, the company dealt with the issue so badly that I'm not going to buy anything from the brand again. So forget talking about this lipstick here - it's my stand against the company! Purchase? No.

Be a Bombshell Lip Crayon in Some Beach

Full review here. While these crayons aren't wonderful in terms of quality, this colour was so perfect for me and I loved it so much, that I picked up a second one via the Violet Box FB Swap group. Plenty of better lip crayons are available though, so I wouldn't want any other colour. Purchase? No, two's enough ; )

L'Oreal Shine Caresse in 501 Bonnie

Full review here. I've owned and finished a couple of these products now and I do like them, but I've recently discovered a similar product from Maybelline (the colour elixir range), and I prefer the latter so I think I'll be sticking with those if I want something that delivers the wet look. What's great about both the L'Oreal and Maybelline versions is that they stay put and aren't sticky, and they make your lips look pretty damn juicy. Plus they're nicely hydrating. Repurchase? No, but only because I prefer the Maybelline product.



Urban Skincare Co Repair+ Body Balm

This was from September's LHI, and I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. It's a great moisturiser and manages to be super moisturising without feeling heavy/greasy. I like the smell too. Indeed, I liked the product enough that I used the discount card included in the box to buy the $9.95 travel kit (which I got for $7.96, no shipping costs). This purchase passed my spending ban 'rules' because Mex asked me to buy soap and shampoo/conditioner for him, and the kit included those things. Purchase? Yes.

Goldwell Ultra Volume Shampoo

This was also from LHI - I reckon I got it in a box late last year. It has a really lovely, refreshing scent and cleans well, and while I really liked it, unfortunately the product didn't come with the matching conditioner so I wasn't able to give the set a go. All this means is that I won't be buying the product, when I might have if I'd sampled the conditioner and loved it just as much. Purchase? No.

Uriage Surgras Liquide

Another one from LHI. It's a soap free dermatological cleansing gel that's designed for sensitive skin on your face and body. I tried it on my face first but then switched to using it as a body wash. It's far too gentle for me and doesn't feel like it cleans well. I think it would be great if you had sensitive skin - and while I do have skin that tends towards sensitivity, this cleanser didn't grab me at all. Purchase? No.


Revlon Nearly Naked Pressed Powder in 030 Medium

Full review here. As with the below liquid foundation, what I love about this powder is that it is indeed 'nearly naked'. Because it's so finely milled, you can chuck on the finest dusting and it will stop any grease without drying out your skin. If you wanted to use it as a coverage product on its own, it's buildable and evens out skintone without looking cakey. It's one of the few powders I've used that I've really liked. Repurchase? Yes.

Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation in 180 Medium Beige

Full review here. I really really love this foundation and while I'm sad to see it go, I'm also kinda glad because I have so many base products in stock and I need to get through them! What I love about this product is that it is indeed 'nearly naked', so it's less like a foundation and more like a tinted moisturiser - I've mentioned before that I like lighter bases. Plus it's on the cheaper end of the spectrum, and from memory I bought it half price so it cost less than $13. Yaysers! Repurchase? Yes.

Bourjois Happy Light Matte Serum Primer

This was part of a Priceline gift-with-purchase kit. It's probably a little hard for me to comment on the quality of primers since I'm one of those people who really doesn't have a lot of love for them (could just be that I haven't found 'the one' yet), even though I use them on a daily basis because that's what all good beauty-junkies do ; ). What I will say about this is that yes, it is matte, and for this reason it's not for me. I prefer the whole dewy thing and this one is drying. Purchase? No.



Simple Kind to Skin Cleansing Wipes

Mum bought me these (thanks Mum!) and they never go astray. They're not my favourites (the Essenzza Fuss Free ones are - see short review here) but they do the job well enough. Purchase? Probably not, unless they were on special.

Bille Goat Soap

This was from an LHI Eco Box. My husband is the soap man (I'm a shower gel lass) but I did use this so I could say something about it. It's a lovely, creamy soap. You can tell it's great for sensitive skin: it's gentle but still does the job well. Make sure you store it in a soap dish so it doesn't disintegrate too quickly. It also feels super nourishing. Big ticks. Purchase? I wouldn't but Mex might.

Simple Kind to Eyes Makeup Corrector Pen

This was from a sub box, I just can't remember which one! It was a lot more useful than I thought it would be, and did remove makeup mishaps (generally relating to mascara being where it shouldn't be) very nicely. Having said this, it's not the kind of product that I'd go out and buy - I use wet q-tips for that job and there's definitely such a thing as having too many tools.


Inika Mineral All Natural Illuminisor Powder

From memory, this came in LHI's Bridal Party Box. While I normally like Inika products, I didn't like this one all unfortunately. It had noticeable glitter particles (not a good look for what's meant to be an all-over face illuminator) and was very drying. It also wasn't finely milled enough for those with dry skin like me. Purchase? No.

Mememe Beat the Blues Liquid Illuminator in Sunbeam

Full review here. From memory I picked up this and the Moonbeam version for around $10 a pop from the Bellabox shop. They were on special and I also had some points to use. I like them both, but this one (a golden colour) was my favourite. I've been mixing it in with my primer before applying my base for that whole lit-from-within thing. I'm sad to see it go, but I've some other products in stock that I'm looking forward to using so I'll live ; ). Repurchase? Yes.

Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil

Full review here. This was a Violet Box inclusion and apparently there are 10 different ways you can use it. I won't go in to them all, but basically you can use it as a concealer and also a highlighting product (eg to highlight your browbone or cupid's bow). I used this mainly as a concealer and it wasn't wonderful for that (too sheer - I need more coverage), but I liked it enough to use and finish it. Purchase? No.


insobeau Hiaromax Vitamin Stick

Full review here. This was from Memebox #35 Moisture Surge, which was a pretty good box. This stick was meant to be used to deliver extra moisture to dry parts of your face, however it smelled exactly like a Chapstick (and had a similar consistency), so I couldn't bring myself to use it on my face. Plus you couldn't chuck it over makeup without moving things around. Instead I used it on my feet and elbows. Purchase? No.

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm

Full review here. Man am I sad to see this product go, notwithstanding that I have a couple of similar products waiting for me to use. This is one of my HG products and it's one of the rare products I've found that blows your socks off as much as you've been told it will. Nothing makes you look so refreshed (and younger/more plumped) than this products does. Not that I've found, anyway. Repurchase? Yes.

Nivea Daily Essentials Refreshing Toner

Full review here. Shock horror, this is the first toner I've ever bought - I only started using toner a couple of months back, and now I can't live without it! This one is really wonderful (mind you, I don't have a lot of experience in the toner department) and I loved using it. It smells so refreshing and clean. Reminds me of summer for some reason. Plus it does the job well and leaves your skin feeling smashing. Repurchase? Yes.



Indio SOS Gel Redness Rescue

Full review here. I like Indio products, but I didn't think much of this one. It's a gel and I didn't notice any effect on redness, nor was it cooling like many products of this nature are. Lucky I didn't pay for it ; ) - it was a Bellabox sample. Purchase? No.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Eyebrow Gel

This product retails at $39.95 for the full size (this was a Bellabox sample), and I have to say, I wasn't wowed. For me, a brow gel is a brow gel and I only notice them if they're really good or really bad (kind of like bad/good acting in films). This was neither. It was fine, but I won't be buying it for that price tag. Purchase? No.

Foltene Eyelash Treatment

A Violet Box inclusion. I used it steadily for three months and didn't notice any change - it's meant to promote natural growth of your eyelashes and brows. I'd have kept using it, but I noticed that the smell had changed and my eye watered a bit on my last use, so I think it was ready to be turfed. Purchase? No.


Dior Miss Dior Eau de Parfum

I do like this fragrance, although it's a little on the sweet side for me and it's not in my top five. It is however my husband's favourite on me (and he bought it for me), so I suspect it will end up back in stock soon enough. 

The only thing I'll say about this, is that I only had it for a year and, by the end of the 50ml size, it had started to smell not quite right. Not exactly off or faded, just different - as though the top notes had melted away and left behind the rest. I'm not sure whether I just got one from a bad batch, or whether this is a problem with this particular perfume (I've never had a perfume go off on me before). Repurchase? Yes, no doubt Mex will buy it for me again.

In sum

I seriously need to stop getting through so many products each month - these posts are way too long! Having said this, I am of course enjoying watching my overinflated stores deplete as the months pass. This helps me pretend that I'm establishing some kind of order in at least one area of the house before the baby comes. Ha. It's the small things, yes?!?!


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.