Sachet city: September 2017

/
0 Comments

It's been a while since I did a sachet post so I'm happy to be doing one today: otherwise the samples pile starts getting ridiculous, and the bigger it is, the less likely I am to attack it.

Part of my reluctance with doing sachet posts is that I have a lot of foundation and primer samples to use up, but I'm also trying to pan some base products so I don't like holding up my panning efforts with these posts. Still, it has to be done so let's make a start.


Verso Super Facial Oil with Retinol 8

This is apparently formulated with concentrated retinol  8 complex and infused with sunflower and canola oils. It should deliver intense hydration and moisture to the skin, and it's described as lightweight and effective.

I've used a few sachets from Verso and none of them has impressed me. This oil was fine and I agree that it's lightweight and delivers hydration and nourishment to the skin, but it didn't feel or do anything different from the mountains of other facial oils I've tried. Sure, with a product like this you need to use it for a while to see results, but it didn't grab me and it costs a whopping $280 AUD for 30ml so it's a huge pass for me.

Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Skin Liquid Lightin in Candlelight

Luminosity in a bottle, this waterproof liquid drenches the skin in a lustworthy glow for a radiant complexion. A hybrid between a gel and a cream, this weightless fluid blends seamlessly for minimal effort in application.

I've always wanted to try this so I was really pleased to receive a sample. Of course, it's bloody beautiful (I can say that of every Aucoin product I've tried to date) and I really enjoyed it. It works well as a mixer for foundation, as a glowy primer or for spot highlighting, and it offers a natural sheen that doesn't look glittery or emphasise texture. 

Mind you, it costs more than Becca's liquid illuminators (I've reviewed one here) and contains less product - and since they're very similar, I think Becca is the better option.


Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield SPF 30

This has apparently been formulated specifically for sensitive skin. It should help to protect skin against environmental damage, and it's formulated with natural, chemical-free mineral UV protectors.

I hated this. First off, the sachets exploded when I opened them because this product is one of the runniest 'creams' I've ever come across and I wasn't expecting that. It spewed out and it kept on spewing and went everywhere. Second, it's easily the greasiest non-oil item I've ever put on my face. I had to go in with a mattifying primer afterwards, which I so rarely do with my dry skin. Didn't like it, wouldn't buy it.

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation

This is described as a saviour for oily, blemish-prone skin seeking full-coverage and a velvety matte finish. Oil-free and long-wearing, it should instantly perfect skin and eliminate the need for the midday touch-up.

This kind of product is obviously everything I don't want in a foundation because my dry skin needs grease and hates matte - plus I don't like full coverage - but at least it wasn't awful because I could sheer it out. 

I did try building it up, but once it got to a medium coverage, it looked seriously dry and like paint on me so I had to wipe it off. With a sheerer coverage and a hydrating primer, though, it looked ok. It didn't sit in pores and it also wore for a good eight hours. Note that it hasn't had great reviews on Mecca's website so I would definitely test it before purchase because it ain't cheap.


Eve Lom Moisture Mask

This is described as a light, gel-based hydrating treatment ideal for those seeking that extra glow and plump feeling in their skin. It should improve the skin's barrier integrity and help prevent future skin dehydration.

I'm sorry to say it, but this was a pile of rubbish. And it costs $121 AUD for the full size. It was more like a gel than a cream so it should suit those who prefer lighter products, but it did absolutely nothing for me and I probably wouldn't even bother using another sachet of the stuff, if one came my way. All it seemed to do was add a shiny coating to my skin (and unsurprisingly glycerin is the second listed ingredient): it definitely didn't moisturise my face in the slightest. Foo.

Mustus Daily Harvest Squeeze Sheet Mask

A new play on the trend ‘edible beauty’, each mask apparently contains a ‘juice’ essence that your skin drinks - absorbing nutrients to instantly hydrate, rejuvenate and vitalise your complexion.

Another sachet post, another random sheet mask that someone's given me. This came from Maslow & Co and, as usual, it did absolutely nothing for me. You put it on, you look like serial killer for fifteen minutes, you take it off and look like you've just splashed water on your face (which would be decidedly cheaper than these expensive single-use things). And there's always enough essence for an application of body cream (why do they include so much: could they not include a quarter of the amount and make them cheaper?!). Foo again.


Darphin Hydraskin Light

This is described as a lightweight, long-lasting moisturiser that replenishes normal to combination skin, leaving it supple and radiantly beautiful.

I own the rich version of this product and it's definitely better suited to my dry skin (especially when it's cold), but this is absolutely a good alternative for those whose skin can't tolerate heavier moisturisers. It applied and blended well and I didn't need to use too much per application, and it kept my dry skin comfortable without weighing it down. It's just a good, basic everyday moisturiser that's not particularly fancy but does the job.

Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream

This apparently boasts a results-driven blend of hyaluronic acid, safflower seed oil, eyphrasia extract and aloe vera extract. It's a whipped formula that should replenish moisture, smooth lines and wrinkles, brighten and soothe for a youthful-looking under-eye.

I tell you what, at $26 AUD for the full size, I think this is a great little product. Sure it doesn't perform backflips, but it's kept my dry eyes hydrated and happy so I recommend it. Eye creams are notoriously expensive but Mario Badescu has some good ones that don't break the bank, and I may well buy this. It's cheap, it absorbs nicely and it does the job. Yay to that.

In sum

That's all from me! My favourite item in this lot is the Kevyn Aucoin liquid highlighter but the Mario Badescu eye cream is the one I'm most likely to buy because it's so reasonably priced.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.