September 2017 empties #1

/
0 Comments

I ended up photographing two empties posts yesterday because I had serious overflow happening, so I'm pleased to be writing the first one today. 

For the immediate future I should probably try to do three empties posts each month instead of two: I've been getting through many of the samples received from sub boxes and as GWPs, and they tend to stack up very quickly.

Anyhoo. Let's have a look.  


Chulala Cleansing Lotion

Full review here. I really enjoyed this product and I'm missing it already: it filled a gap in my skincare routine that I didn't know existed. I would use it in the evenings before my shower, removing my makeup with a budget product and then cleansing my skin with this on any evening I was using a face mask, and it prepped my skin well for any mask I wanted to use that day.

It was also lovely to use. It smelled nice, cleansed my skin well and had a toning effect too so it made my skin look and feel healthier and happier. The only downside was having to use yet another makeup pad each day, but I got over that because I enjoyed the product so much. Purchase? Yes.

Shu Uemura Colour Lustre Dry Cleaner

Both this product and the above one came from Maslow & Co's Japanese edit, and while I loved the Chulala cleanser, this Shu Uemura dry shampoo didn't work for me at all. I've reviewed it here.

My main issue was that it just didn't work as a dry shampoo should - so it didn't soak up grease and give me a day or two extra between washes. It also had a strong alcohol scent that I didn't enjoy and it didn't add shine or help with detangling as other dry shampoos I've used have done. The product baffled me, to be honest, and I wouldn't waste time on it again. Purchase? No.


Nuxe Nuxellence Eclat Anti-ageing Day Serum

Full review here. This also came from Maslow & Co and I didn't mind it but it wasn't amazing so it's not one I would buy.

It was quite a thick serum and I prefer my serums to be thinner, and while I can't say for sure that it interfered with my moisturiser's ability to absorb, it did leave a coating on my face so I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Also, it was rather greasy and while that's fine for my dry skin in winter, if you don't like oily products, this mightn't be for you. Purchase? No.

Intitut Karite Paris Verbena & Shea Hand Cream

This came from the same box as the above serum (it was Maslow's French edit) and it ended up being one of my two favourite items from the box. I've reviewed it here.

I think the packaging is just beautiful and this green version smelled all lemony and delicious, plus the cream itself absorbed nicely without leaving my hands feeling coated or greasy. It was also hydrating and nourishing enough that I could use it as my overnight hand cream, and I can't say that for many hand creams. Just gorgeous. Purchase? Yes.


Alpha-H Gentle Daily Exfoliant

Full review here. I really love this product: I've been through two bottles now and it remains my HG gentle exfoliant.

It's a powder product and you add water to it to form a paste, then massage it over your face before rinsing it off. It's not scratchy in the slightest (the powder is so fine that I wouldn't call this a physical exfoliant) but somehow the formula does wonders for resurfacing and brightening the face. 

Plus this full size ended up being a bit of a nightmare to finish - it just kept going and going - so it's good value because it lasts forever. Repurchase? Yes.

Davidoff Cool Water Woman

I used to love this fragrance when I was in my teens because it's fresh, light, citrusy and inoffensive, but these days I don't love it as much: it's not that interesting to me anymore (this bottle was given to me).

While I was happy enough to use it daily to get through it, it's not something I would buy for myself these days and the longevity isn't great, so even though it's not super expensive (especially because it's often available heavily discounted), you do need to keep spritzing it since it vanishes within a couple of hours. Purchase? No.


Bioderma Sensibio H2O Solution Micellaire

Full review here. Call me weird, but this product has never worked for me and I've been through countless bottles now (all courtesy of sub boxes) so it's safe to say that it never will.

I've used so many micellar waters that work well at removing makeup but for some reason, this one barely does any more than water would do on my skin. It's bizarre: I don't get why it works for everyone else and not me, but there it is. It's expensive for a micellar too, so perhaps I should just be happy that I've found budget ones that work better for me than this does. Purchase? No.

Nominoë Radiant Hydration Night Mask

This also came from Maslow & Co's French edit (as did the above Bioderma product) and I didn't like it at all. I've reviewed it here.

It had a weird, balm-like texture and it sat on top of the skin, rather than sinking in and delivering any nourishment. It's meant to be for dry skin (that's me) but I'm yet to hear anybody say they felt it was hydrating and I'm not the only one who was baffled by it. 

I couldn't use it overnight as directed for very dry skin because I couldn't stand having it on my face (it felt so weird and sticky, and my skin couldn't breathe) and I couldn't use it in the morning because it was a bugger to remove. I got through it by using it before my shower (it didn't do anything) and once it came to cutting open the tube, I used the remains up as a foot balm. Blurgh. Purchase? No.


Alpha-H 24 Hour Moisture Repair Cream

I received two of these 15ml samples (both of which I've now finished) and also an additional 30ml one - all as GWPs - and I haven't reviewed the product yet because I need a rest from it before opening the 30ml and firming up my thoughts.

Normally I love Alpha-H but I'm not sure about this product. It's thicker than most moisturisers I've used so I went through these tubes far too quickly (meaning the full size wouldn't be good value), plus it didn't do anything for me and I felt it coated my skin, rather than sinking in and delivering nourishment. The jury's still out, however, so I'll let you know how I go when I open the larger tube. Purchase? No.

DU'IT Tough Hands for Her

Full review here. This product came as a freebie with a recent Beautyheaven Beautorium haul, and I'm pleased to report that I really liked it.

It's a simple, inexpensive and fuss-free little hand balm that helped nurse my dry hands and feet through the winter. While I liked how nourishing and protective it felt on my hands, I liked how it helped my feet even more: my feet are the driest part of my body so they're often flaky (sorry, gross), but this helped manage the problem so they became softer and healthier when I used this. Recommended. Purchase? Yes.


RAFRA Balm Orange Facial Cleanser

This came from Maslow & Co's recent Asian edit and while I didn't mind it, I also didn't love it so I was rather happy to finish it and move on to something else. I've reviewed it here.

Sure it removed makeup ok but it didn't do what all my other balm and oil cleansers do while I leave them on for twenty minutes in the morning before cleansing my face: that is, it didn't hydrate. It's marketed as multipurpose so it should have served as a hydrating mask while I ran around after the kids, but my skin always felt dry underneath this so it's not one I would recommend. Also, I found it a little fake and something about the smell and over-processed texture reminded me of lollies. Not for me. Purchase? No.

Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara in 00 Blackest Black

Full review here. This is my HG mascara, whether budget or high-end. I love it because the wand isn't too fat so I don't end up with gunk all over my hooded eyes whenever I use it: I really wish I could write a letter to all mascara-makers and tell them that fat wands just aren't practical for many of us ; )

I also love it because it gives my lashes great length and volume with just one coat, plus it doesn't smudge or flake throughout the day so I have nothing to complain about when it comes to the formula in general. A lot of people love this mascara so it's definitely worth testing if you're in the market for a new one - especially because it's cheap. Repurchase? Yes.

In sum

That's all from me! I hope you enjoyed this little post and found some ideas for new products to try (or, incidentally, avoid ; )).

The best items in this lot were the Chulala cleanser, the Maybelline mascara, the Institut Karite Paris hand cream and the Alpha-H Gentle Daily Exfoliant.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.