Fun new things 2019: update with mini reviews #3

/
0 Comments

I have two of these samples posts left to update, and after that I would like to bring in a fifth round of larger samples before the end of the year if possible.

This will mean that I'm not drowning in samples as we head into the new year, and will also help reduce my skincare numbers so things look ok when I do my next couple of inventory posts.

Anyhoo. Let's have a look.


Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Cleanser

Full review here. This cleanser is raved about in the beauty community but it was a little too astringent for me so I couldn't use it twice daily or even once daily (I tended to use it every second day). Indeed, it has a pH of between 7 and 8, which would explain why it's a little too much for my dry, sometimes sensitive skin.

While I did enjoy using it - it smelled nice, it lathered beautifully and it cleaned well - it's not one I would necessarily buy again because I would of course prefer to use something a touch more gentle. Still, I can see why people love it. It's a pleasure to use.

The Beauty Chef Inner Antioxidant Boost

This antioxidant supplement claims to keep your skin happy and healthy. It's designed to help repair and protect the skin from free-radical damage and ageing; and it helps to boost skin firmness and reduce the appearance of fine lines. With scientifically proven immune-boosting properties, this delicious liquid formula is perfect if you are recuperating from sickness, or have a dull or tired-looking complexion.

I absolutely hated the taste of this, so I can't really comment on whether it did anything for me because I couldn't force myself to use it. Sorry! In any event, I'm not a big believer in these consumable products adding anything (just have a good diet and take multivitamins if needed: it's cheaper), so I'm not worried that I wasn't able to use it.


AmorePacific Time Response Skin Reserve Cream 

This is apparently infused with AmorePacific's patented green tea blend, and it's described as a rich face cream that locks in moisture to help prevent future signs of ageing. It should instantly improve skin's elasticity, tone and hydration levels, and it should firm and smooth the complexion for a more even, radiant tone. However the full-size costs $659 so it's not something I would buy.

While I did find it to be nicely rich (so it felt nice on my dry skin), I also felt that it wasn't absorbing properly and delivering nourishment or hydration where I need it most. This means it was better as a 'seal in' product for me (eg to use overnight, on top of more hydrating products) but it's far too expensive to just use for that.


Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Let's Go Crazy 

This came in a Mecca Beauty Loop box and I was happy to see it because I've wanted to try this formula for a while (a lot of people rave about these), although I've seen that this particular colour isn't a good representation of the formula (it's not up to scratch apparently) so I don't think I've seen the 'true' formula.

It was a bright pink and I didn't review it because I got through it too quickly via Project Pan, plus I honestly couldn't be bothered reviewing it because I didn't like it. It dried out my lips and also travelled outside lip lines, so it wasn't for me and I wouldn't use it again.


Hourglass Caution Extreme Lash Mascara 

Full review here. I think this mascara is ok but it's not my favourite so I wouldn't buy it. The brush isn't too fat so it's easy for me to use and I don't make mistakes with it, it gives reasonable length and volume, and it also doesn't smudge or flake throughout the day.

Indeed, this is probably the best mascara I've used in terms of lasting power. What it doesn't do well, however, is separate my lashes. I always end up with little lash pyramids when I use this, so I need to go in and separate them with a lash comb. Annoying. Also, it can give that spidery lash look, and I've seen a lot of people complain about that aspect so it's not just me.


Goldfaden MD Skin Balancing Mask Botanical Rich Refining Treatment

This is apparently powered by a potent multi-peptide and enzyme blend, and is described as a botanical-rich treatment mask that acts to refine pores, boost elasticity and stimulate collagen production, while also promoting a balanced, refined and even textured complexion.

I've used this quite a few times now (despite the small sample size, a little goes a long way), and I may yet review it because I've almost used it enough to do so. What I like about it is that it definitely does something (too many masks don't) - it resurfaces my skin, brightens it, and also leaves it feeling smoother and softer. It's quite potent though, so it won't be for everyone and I would tread carefully if you have sensitive skin.


Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Pore Perfecting Cleansing Gel

Cleanse, exfoliate and tone all in one with the cult-favourite power of Alpha Beta. This powerful yet gentle cleanser removes all traces of dirt, oil and impurities without stripping the skin. Alpha and beta hydroxy acids work to smooth and detox the skin, leaving it ultra-fresh and silky soft, while willowbark, farnesol and barosma betullina leaf extract gently wash away impurities and remove bacteria, keeping pores clean. Snow ear mushroom maintains skin’s delicate moisture barrier, ensuring optimum skin health.

I really, really enjoyed this product and I'm considering buying it. Not only did it cleanse well, but it also had a gentle resurfacing and brightening effect, so it's a good alternative to manual exfoliants because it does the same thing without being scratchy or potentially irritating. Honestly, this has gone straight onto the wishlist and I can't wait to buy it.

Clarins Hydra-Essentiel Silky Cream SPF 15, Normal to Dry Skin

This is meant to be hydrating and should leave the skin feeling quenched and comfortable, and looking fresh and radiant. 

What I found however was that it was nowhere near hydrating enough for me, and it sat on top of my skin - rather than sinking in and delivering nourishment. For this reason I needed to add another moisturiser over the top to help with dryness, so it's safe to say that it's not the right moisturiser for me.


Weleda Pomegranate Firming Day Cream

This product claims to intensely nourish, firm and hydrate. It's apparently ideal for women 40 years and over, and is rich in antioxidants to help protect the skin against free radical damage while helping to smooth lines. It uses pomegranate extract (renowned for its ability to promote collagen and elastin production), macadamia oil for its linoleic fatty acid content (excellent for skins that do not retain moisture easily) and argan oil for its vitamin e profile.

This was fine as a day cream but it didn't grab me either way so I wouldn't buy it. It smelled nice and it was hydrating enough for my dry skin, and my face felt soft and nourished after application. It wasn't firming (so I'm not sure about the name), but it was otherwise decent and I liked it.


Clarins Instant Eye Makeup Remover

Full review here. This is a great makeup remover, and while I wouldn't buy it because it's expensive and I don't want a separate eye makeup remover (I just want one for my whole face), I'm enjoying it and I can see why it's had great reviews.

It's a super oily product so if you don't like the feel of oil on your face, you probably won't enjoy this. What I like about it is that it dissolves my makeup more easily than most removers (this will have a lot to do with the oil it contains), and I also feel that I don't need to rub too hard in order to get my makeup off.

After use my eyes feel soft, hydrated, makeup-free and ready for cleansing. It's definitely a decent product, it's just not one I would buy.

In sum

That's all from me.

I hope you enjoyed this post and that you have plenty of your own fun products to try this month.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.