June 2016 empties #1

/
0 Comments

It's shaping up to be a pretty slow month of empties, which doesn't surprise me because I had a couple of huge months in a row so I was expecting things to calm down a bit on the empties front, since I've just opened a bundle of full-sized products and I won't be getting through them any time soon.

Anyhoo. Let's have a look!


Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pads for Face

Full review here. I did like these but found them too expensive for what they are so I wouldn't buy them again. They're little self-tanning towelettes that are also meant to refine pores and exfoliate the skin, and while I do think they did those things, I also have other products that do the same thing and cost less on a per-use basis.

These end up costing $2.75 per pad, and if I use them twice a week (which I need to if I want to maintain my tan), that's over five bucks spent each week on looking more brown. No thanks! Repurchase? No.

Dermalogica Multi-active Toner

You may have heard me say before that for some reason, Dermalogica products just don't agree with me - and this toner is no exception. I've reviewed it here.

First, the spray on this particular bottle was too forceful, so I had to decant the product into another container. Second, this stuff stung my skin - and not in a good way. It also made any dry patches look and feel worse (and more red). Just not for me! Repurchase? No.


Alpha-H Balancing Moisturiser & Gentle Exfoliant

Full review here. This is an HG product of mine and I'm sad I've finished it but luckily I received a back-up in one of my sub boxes, so all is not lost!

It's a moisturiser that contains glycolic acid, so it exfoliates and leaves me with refined skin as well as being hydrating. I prefer it for day use because it makes my skin look awake and smooths my face prior to makeup application, but you could use it at night too. Love this one. Repurchase? Yes.

Alpha-H Age Delay Facial Oil with Beta Carotene

Another lovely product from Alpha-H and one I'm sad to see the back of. I've reviewed it here. A little goes an amazingly long way with this product, so even this little 15ml travel sized bottle lasted absolutely ages.

It's a light oil that's perfect for use on the face and it absorbs beautifully, plumping fine lines and working wonders on dry winter skin. It's probably not a stand-out product for me because I don't feel the need to rush out and replace it straight away and I have used other decent facial oils, but it's on the list of potentials. Repurchase? Maybe.


Nars Audacious Mascara in Black Moon

This was a sample from one of my Mecca Beauty Loop boxes, and while I was happy to try it, unfortunately I don't think it was a very good product: indeed, it was only open for a couple of months (and I didn't use it every day) before I decided that I just couldn't bear to use it anymore. I've reviewed it here.

The main problem was the brush: the bristles are too far apart, meaning your lashes don't get separated and you wind up with clumps galore. Also, every time I used this, I wound up with mascara on my hooded upper eye area - not what you want, especially when you're in a rush! Purchase? No.

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Deauville

I've reviewed this here in a different shade. I had meant to do a swatch post of this one, but the bottle smashed (thankfully I managed to rescue the remaining contents) so I'll have to do that with the other sample I own in this shade.

Deauville is too light for me so I've been mixing it with other products that are a little too dark for me now that I'm paler. If you've seen my review of this foundation, you'll know that I'm one of the few people it doesn't seem to work for: it just looks like a mask on me and also pools in pores, so I couldn't wear it alone even if the shade matched. Purchase? No.


The Body Shop Neroli Jasmin Body Lotion

Full review here. This was a sample passed on to me by a friend, and while I didn't mind it, it's not one I'd rush out and buy either. It smells nice but it's not hydrating enough for my dry skin, which doesn't surprise me because I tend to do better with creams (as opposed to lotions). Purchase? No.

Crop Pure Macadamia Oil

This came in a sub box and while it's meant to be a multi-purpose oil that you can use on your face, body and hair - and one you can also use for cleansing - I opted for using it on my body because I found it too thick for anything else. I've reviewed it here

It was a nice product but I wouldn't buy it because I've used better oils, and ones that do work for a few different purposes: unlike this one, which was so thick that it really stuck to the skin so I didn't like using it on my face. Purchase? No.


Kora Organics Vitamin Enhanced Lip Balm

Full review here. I received this from beautyheaven and unfortunately I didn't like it at all. It's super thin in texture so it slides off the lips in a heartbeat, and I didn't find it hydrating - if anything, it made my lips feel dry. It quickly got sent to the foot balm section and that's how I finished the product. Purchase? No.

Ren Keep Young & Beautiful Instant Firming Beauty Shot

I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't love this product, but unfortunately I somehow keep winding up with samples of the stuff! I've reviewed it here.

It's so drying and feels so uncomfortable on my skin that I can only use it over makeup during the day (I guess the makeup acts like a barrier between my skin and the product) and I can't use it on clean skin because it tightens so much that I need to wash it off. I'm in the minority here though and many people swear by this product. Purchase? No.

In sum

This wasn't a great bunch of empties and the stand-outs are the two Alpha-H products: everything else I'm happy to see the back of!

It'll be interesting to see if I have enough products for another empties post at the end of the month. I don't like my chances, but I'm almost done with a few of my Project Pan products so we'll see.

'Till then : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.