May 2019 empties #1

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my first empties post for the month!

Ideally I would like to get three empties posts done over the next few days because I'm in ridiculous empties back-log, but I mightn't quite get there since there's a queue for photographs at the moment and I have other products that need to be photographed first. We'll see.

In no particular order...


Palmolive Body Butter Coconut Scrub Exfoliating Body Wash

Full review here. I did enjoy this but I much preferred the scent of the coffee version (reviewed here) so I probably wouldn't buy this particular scent again because it's not as rich and delicious as I'd expected it to be, given my experience with the coffee scrub.

It's a creamy product that feels nicely hydrating on the skin, so it doesn't dry out my already dry skin and that's a plus. Note that it contains little exfoliating grains that basically do nothing, so I wouldn't buy this for the scrub aspect - but it does make a lovely body wash. It cleans well and leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated after use, so it's a good formula for the cooler months. Repurchase? Yes, but not in this fragrance.

Batiste Dry Shampoo, Original

I discovered this range of dry shampoos over a year ago and I haven't looked back since then: they're my absolute favourites. Hence I've been busy trying all the different scents, and this Original version is my favourite because it doesn't smell like cheap deodorant. Full review here

What's great about this product is that it does exactly what it says it will do: it makes my hair look and feel cleaner and fresher, plus it adds body and texture to boot. It also works if eg I've used a product that's left my hair feeling heavy and coated, so it deals with more than human grease.

Plus it makes my hair easier to brush so I think it has a detangling effect too, and it adds some shine and makes my hair feel softer. Basically it does everything that I want and need a dry shampoo to do. Hip hip hooray. Repurchase? Yes.


Elizabeth Arden Prevage Progressive Renewal Treatment

Full review here. I was sent this product to review so I had to use it according to the directions, although I would have preferred to use it every second night because I often felt like my skin needed a break and I don't think that extending things would have sacrificed efficacy. Of course, this would also have meant that it lasted me two months instead of one, making it better value.

As a whole, this treatment did something for my face but I would want to see amazing results from something that costs this much. Note that I didn't notice any real difference in strength between the different weeks of the treatment (and I'm not the first person to have said this), and although it says that the bottles get stronger over time, I couldn't tell that while I was using it. So while it did clarify and brighten my skin a bit, I've used products that did more for texture etc so I wouldn't go back to this. Purchase? No.

Ralph Lauren Midnight Romance

I haven't reviewed this because I mostly don't review fragrances on this blog (they're too personal and everyone likes different things, plus different fragrances smell different on different people), but I wanted to include this in my empties post because it's worth throwing in a few comments.

I enjoyed the fragrance and it reminded me a lot of Lancome's Tresor Midnight Rose (there's blackcurrant in both), but what I didn't like was how bad the lasting power was. Indeed, I needed to spritz it three times a day if I wanted to wear it, and I don't think that's good enough. Repurchase? No.


Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Full review here. I can see why so many people love this powder, although I wouldn't buy it again because I prefer Coty's offering (I've reviewed that here), which is also significantly cheaper.

It's a translucent loose powder with no scent. It's super finely milled so you can get a really thin coating with this, and it feels smooth and silky to the touch - if a tad dry. It applies and blends well, and I agree that it isn't detectable on the skin. It also doesn't sit in fine lines or wrinkles, and I agree that it doesn't look cakey or announce itself as powder on the skin.

I also like that it has a blurring effect so it smooths the look of pores. Do note, though, that it's not as effective at smoothing out the look of pores as the Coty powder, which is one of the reasons why I would opt for the Coty over this one. Yes this airbrushes, but the Coty is in a league of its own. Repurchase? No.

Sukin Micellar Cleansing Water

I don't hate this product but I don't love it either. Sure it's gentle and cheap - especially if you can find it on sale at one of the big chemists - but it's not super effective and I wouldn't buy it again. Worth noting is that a lot of online reviewers agree with me, so that's something to keep in mind. I've reviewed it here.

It's a fluid product with that familiar Sukin scent. From the moment I used it, I could tell that it wasn't a 'heavy duty' product. Some micellars really cut through grease while others don't do the job so well, and this falls in the latter category. Despite the claims, I don't agree that it removes waterproof eye makeup - not even close. It has enough trouble dealing with the 'easy' stuff like tinted moisturiser and face powders. Purchase? No.


Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Pencil in Rich Brown

I've been through two of these now and I'm onto my third, so you know I must like them. They also last me around a year and they're cheap anyway so they're good value. I've reviewed one here

It's fine as an eyeliner and while it doesn't adhere to the waterline as long as I would like, it's not too bad and I've certainly used worse. It's also a twist-up arrangement that doesn't require sharpening, which is a huge plus for me because I'm lazy. So while I'm sure I could find another eyeliner that lasts longer in the waterline, finding non-shimmery browns that aren't too dark to be natural isn't that easy so I'll stick with this for now. Repurchase? Already have.

Tarte CC Coloured Clay Undereye Corrector in Light-Medium

Full review here. This is a good product. It works and you don't need a huge amount each time, although both my Becca and Kevyn Aucoin correctors work better than this one and require even less per application.

It's a creamy product that spreads and applies well. It also blends beautifully and it's one of those correctors where you could almost just use this and forget about your concealer (it's too peach for me to do that myself, though). I find that it does reduce the look of my dark circles and help boost the coverage of my concealer, it's just that the above two products work better for me. Repurchase? No.


Chantecaille Jasmine Lily Healing Mask

Full review here. I fell head over heels for this product from the moment I used it, so much so that I bought the (very expensive) full size. It's made my monthly favourites more than once and I'm sad that it's gone.

What I love about this is that it's the most hydrating mask I've ever used. It feels so soothing and cooling when applied, and after use my dry skin just looks nourished and plump and it feels much more comfortable. I don't like the price tag but I'll live with it because that's what Mecca gift cards are for ; ). A gorgeous product. Repurchase? Maybe.

Elemental Herbology Facial Souffle 

This is a lovely product and I enjoyed using it. While I don't think it's worth the price-tag, I still think it's good and I do recommend it if you want to splurge on something that's a bit special. I've reviewed it here.

It's a cream product that has a thick, almost balm-like texture and a herbal scent. It applies and spreads well, and indeed it spreads better than you might think, given how thick it is. While it does feel hydrating and also has a protective element because it coats the skin, it's not quite as hydrating and nourishing as I would like. This means it doesn't do enough for my dry skin, so I'm glad I've panned it before the weather starts getting super cold. Repurchase? No.

In sum

That's all from me. I hope you enjoyed this empties post and that you have plenty of your own empties for the month.

My favourite items in this lot were the Chantecaille mask, the Rimmel liner and the Batiste dry shampoo. Everything else I can take or leave.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.