Best in Beauty 2017: makeup (complexion)

/
0 Comments
Hello and welcome to my next Best in Beauty post for 2017!

You may remember that I divided these posts last year so I had one for complexion (see here) and one for cheeks, lips and eyes (see here), and I was going to throw them all in together this year but then my list travelled beyond twelve products so I decided to divide them again.

You'll note that most of the items below are different from last year's list, but a couple of them are repeats because I haven't found anything in 2017 that knocks them from top position.

So without further ado...


Best primer: Becca Backlight Priming Filter

Full review here. When I first started using this primer, I knew that I really liked it but it wasn't quite HG material for the simple reason that I can't wear it underneath my sheerer bases: it's too shiny. Also, if my base has enough coverage to dull down the shine of this primer but it wears off during the day, then my face starts to look like a discoball after lunch because this primer stays put so it becomes all you can see.

While those issues are still true, I realised this year just how much I loved this. It smells beautiful and applies well, but most of all, it's easily the most hydrating primer I own. Nothing makes my skin feel like it's had a drink the way this product does, and since I have dry skin, I can't help but love this. Sure it's not perfect, but it's close.


Best foundation: Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation

I haven't reviewed this yet but it's hands-down my favourite foundation this year and it's hard to imagine that anything else will ever beat it. I'm also calling it my favourite tinted moisturiser because the coverage is a light/medium on me and I can't get it to be any heavier than that because it doesn't build well, but I don't mind that because it looks so beautiful on the skin.

It's hard to describe quite how good this is, but it looks like skin and I reckon you could just about call it undetectable: it's easily the most natural base I own. It has a dewy finish and it melts in and becomes one with the skin. As soon as I finish my bottle, I know I'll be buying another one.

The only bad thing about it (aside from the fact that it ain't cheap) is the minuscule shade range, so I really wish they'd expand what they have. I currently own the shade 213, which is a little pale for me and it's not yellow enough, so next time I might try 123 and see if that's a better fit. Love.


Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector

Full review here. This is one of those polarising products that some people love while others think is useless, and I'm definitely in the love category - and I panned this product in 2017 but I never grew tired of it so that's saying something.

So far I've tried two other correctors (one from Tarte and one of Becca's newer offerings) and I still think this original Becca one is the best. You only need a tiny amount each time and it really boosts the efficacy of your concealer. I wouldn't say that it completely removes my under eye bags, but it gets pretty close.

The other good news is that the pot lasts me two years of daily use because a little goes a long way, so it's good value and I don't think you can go wrong with it.


BareMinerals BareSkin Complete Coverage Serum Concealer

This concealer made my list last year and it's making another appearance this year because I'm yet to find anything that beats it. I've reviewed it here.

I love this because it's super hydrating on my dry skin and it doesn't settle into lines (provided you set it), plus it offers decent coverage that never looks thick or cakey. I also love the nourishing texture - it really does feel like a serum - and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anything that works better for textured, dry and/or dehydrated skin. Love.


RCMA No Colour Powder

Full review here. I'm not someone who has tried a lot of setting powders because I rely on Hourglass' Dim Light to do the blurring and airbrushing for me (see below), but I did make sure to finally pick this one up in 2017 because it's an HG product for many and it's not expensive so I was more than happy to buy it.

I love it. It's finely milled and it applies beautifully, and even though it's white in colour, it doesn't leave behind a white cast. I also think it works well on the under-eyes (not all setting powders do) because it is so finely milled, so that's a plus.

On top of this, it's never dried out my dry skin because I can apply just enough to dull down the tacky finish of my base product and I've never over-applied this so that my lines look more pronounced. If you haven't tried this, I urge you to take the plunge because it's that good and it won't break the bank.


Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

I do own the full-size of Dim Light but I haven't photographed it or reviewed it yet (silly me) so I'm including the shot of this Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit Volume 3, which includes a pan of Dim Light.

Dim Light is easily the most amazing makeup product I've ever used. It blurs texture and airbrushes the skin, and it makes me look five years younger. It's also undetectable on the skin. Every time I use it, I still can't believe how good it is. 

Indeed, I've managed to convert a bunch of family members who now won't use anything else, and my aunt even threw out the other powders she owned after using this for the first time. If I could only own and use one makeup product for the rest of my life, it would be Hourglass Dim Light. 'Nuff said.


Best setting spray: Banana Boat Soothing Aloe Mist After Sun Spray

Full review here. This is the only other product on this list that made my yearly favourites last year, and I'm not surprised that it's made the list again because I really think it can't be beat. 

Yes I've tried the Urban Decay All Nighter and yes that makes my makeup last longer than this one does, but the All Nighter doesn't hydrate and plump my skin like this Banana Boat offering (plus this one's a lot cheaper) so it's won again in this category.

It does exactly what a setting spray should do - it takes away the any powdery look to the skin and merges things together, plus it refreshes the face and gives me much-needed moisture - and it only costs a few bucks for this large bottle if you can find it on special. Amazing.

In sum

I hope you enjoyed this little post and found some ideas for new things to try in 2018. 

I always have quite a few items I could put on this list but I've narrowed it down so I'm only including the best of the best, because I want this list to contain the stand-out products and nothing else.

Note that I'll shortly be doing my Best in Beauty post for cheeks, lips and eyes - so stay tuned for that if you're interested.

Do let me know in the comments what your favourite makeup products were this year: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.