Maslow & Co, The Global Beauty Edit, December 2017 - unboxing and first impressions

/
0 Comments

It is with a heavy heart that I write this last-ever unboxing post for Maslow & Co. As you may know, the service recently announced that it was closing down - so this Global Beauty Edit will be our final box.

I can't tell you how deflated I was when I heard the news (I'm sure I'm not the only one!). Maslow remains the only sub box that I'm still subscribed to and that I feel is worth the money, but alas my bi-monthly excitement is no longer to be.

While Maslow has announced that someone may yet buy-out the brand, I'm not holding my breath because it's hard to imagine that any buyer - if there's to be one - would run things as well as they've been run so far. Guess we'll see.


My first impressions when I opened my box were pretty good. Yes I've got two repeat products in here (I guess they didn't have enough new stuff to fill each box so they had to draw on old material), but at least they're usable items so I'll certainly pass them on if I decide not to use them again myself.

Unfortunately, though, I realised yesterday as I was photographing my products that I received the wrong serum. This is the S5 Serum, being the sneak peek and also the best and most expensive item in the box. You could have received the Purity version, which is for blemish-prone skin, or the Illuminate, which should help with pigmentation and uneven skintone.

I don't have blemish-prone skin so the Illuminate was definitely the right fit for me, but unfortunately I received the Purity. I've since seen on Facebook that I wasn't the only one, which tells me that it wasn't a simple error: Maslow must have run out of the Illuminate so a few of us drew the short straw.

While normally I wouldn't be too upset about receiving a product that isn't designed for my skin, in this case I am because it was the sneak peek and it should have made up the cost of the box for me. Sad face.

Moving on.


S5 Purity Serum (RRP $85 AUD for 30ml; received full size)

Let's get this one out of the way. This serum is for those with blemish-prone skin, and it should help to reduce blemishes, congested and oily skin, and can also be used as a spot treatment for ingrown hairs.

That all sounds good in theory, but in practice my skin is desert-dry so I don't want to risk drying it out further by using something like this on my face. I'm not sure what I'll do with this yet, but I may have to gift it to someone with oily skin. Alas, alas.
 

Jade Roller (RRP $25 AUD)

This is apparently a soothing ancient tool to help increase blood flow, assist lymphatic drainage and diminish the appearance of fine lines. Like other methods of facial massage, it should help your products penetrate more deeply into the skin.

One of the things I've always liked about Maslow is that not everything you receive is 'same same' and this product is a good example of that. It's different, I haven't seen anything like it and it won't be sitting at the back of the moisturiser queue waiting to eventually get used. Sure it might be a little gimmicky and it will mean adding an extra step to my skincare routine, but I'm more than happy to give it a go and see what happens. Perhaps nothing, but you never know!


Evolve UK African Blood Orange Body Lotion (RRP $12 AUD for 60ml deluxe sample)

According to the card, this is enriched with organic shea, aloe vera and delicate notes of blood orange, vanilla and warm spices. It should leave your skin feeling soft, moisturised and sweet-scented.

This looks nice and I'm looking forward to trying it. Mind you, now that we don't need to test and review products within a couple of months (if we want to hit Maslow Maven status), then what I'll likely do is put it aside for when we go to Queensland in April because I don't have a travel-sized body cream so this will suit nicely.
 

Graydon Hair Smoothie (RRP $18 AUD for 60ml)

This is apparently bursting with nutrient-rich ingredients such as broccoli seed oil and scalp-stimulating herbs like sage, parsley and thyme. It's described as a powerhouse treatment that should detangle and condition your hair for super soft and luscious locks.

This is another one that will likely get put away for the next time we travel because it's a good size. I personally am not super excited about haircare (I'm more about skincare/body products), but it's always nice to have a bit of variety within the same box.


Maven Gift: Keisha & Co Purifying Clay Mask (RRP $19.95 for 100g; received full size)

Keisha & Co is a boutique skincare brand from Victoria that's dedicated to creating all natural, all Australian and cruelty-free skincare. This mask is made with pure Australian clay and it should tighten pores, brighten skin and help banish acne.

I'm drowning in face masks at the moment so I'll likely put this aside for now, but it does sound like a good product so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Note: I've seen on Facebook that a few people missed out on this mask and instead received something else (something about a delayed shipment). While I can totally understand the frustration if you missed out, at least the brand is Australian and the mask isn't super expensive so you should be able to source it if you're really desperate to try it. Definitely annoying though! Looks like Maslow ran into a few administrative hassles this month.


Repeat products: Odacité Skincare bundle and Nuxe Nuxellance Eclat Anti-ageing Day Serum

I'm not going to comment on these here because we received them in past boxes and I gather they're fillers to make up the value of the box.

If you're interested, I've reviewed the Odacité bundle here and the Nuxe serum here. Both of these products I liked but didn't love, so I may well end up gifting them because I would rather keep focusing on the new skincare items I have in store, rather than getting lost in more samples.

Someone is going to have a nice Christmas bundle from me this year, that's for sure!

In sum

Overall I think this is a pretty good box for Maslow's last effort - provided of course that you got the right serum. If like me you did not, then all of a sudden you're not getting much for your money.

To put things in perspective, the serum costs $85 AUD and the value of the other contents combined (including the Maven Gift but not including the repeats) is $75 AUD, so receiving a serum that won't suit your skin is a big blow. The next most expensive item in the box is the Jade Roller, which comes in at $25 AUD. Blurgh.

Look, I've no doubt that the ladies at Maslow & Co would have done their utmost to make sure that everyone was happy and catered for (because they always do), but in this case the serum was the sneak peek so we were all excited for it and it's really the one thing in the box that everyone should have received as promised. Sure, I did get one, but someone else will likely be using mine because life's too short to risk drying out my already-dry skin.

I'll live ; )

Otherwise it's a very sad farewell to Maslow & Co, and I wish its founders Jess and Mel all the very best in their future endeavours. I'm not quite sure what I'll do with no subscription box to look forward to every couple of months, so here's to hoping that some committed buyer does arrive to save our Maslow-loving souls, or that another decent box pops up on the Australian market in the near future.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.