May 2018 empties #2

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my second empties post for May. 

While it hasn't been the worst month for empties, I would normally expect to get through around thirty products and I only just had enough for this post so it's been a slow month for me all round (panning too).

Anyhoo. Let's have a look.


Lux Magical Spell Body Wash

Full review here. I didn't love this product and I'm glad that it's done. The scent was too sweet and heady for me so it wasn't something I enjoyed putting on my body, although I know many people love the smell so as always it comes down to personal preference.

My other issue with it was that it was too astringent so it stripped my dry skin, and while you could say that it cleans well, it doesn't do so gently so it's not the right body wash for me. Repurchase? No.

Sukin Renewing Body Scrub with Green Tea & Jojoba

I've used Sukin scrubs before that I've liked but unfortunately this wasn't one of them. I've reviewed it here.

My main issue was that there weren't enough little grains in the formula to offer a good exfoliation, and to make matters worse, the grains themselves were too gentle to be effective. I did however like the cream formula and how nourishing it was on the skin, so if you wanted to buy this as a cream body cleanser, then you could certainly do that. It'd be great for sensitive skin. Repurchase? No.


Perricone MD Pre:empt Series, Exfoliating Pore Refining Toner

Full review here. This product was ok but it also wasn't super effective and I burned through it too quickly so I think it's overpriced for what it is.

Yes it had a brightening, smoothing effect on the skin, but my Alpha-H Liquid Gold works light-years better than this does and costs a fraction of the price. I've also tried various products from The Ordinary that do more for my skin than this does, and to be honest it just felt like a fairly diluted toner that didn't contain a high-enough concentration of actives to do much for me. Yes it was fine, but I think you can do better. Repurchase? No.

Alpha-H Essential Hydration Concentrate

This came in a set and I really enjoyed it while I had it, although I wouldn't rush out and buy it because it's rather expensive ($60 AUD for 25ml). I've reviewed it here.

While it was a beautifully formulated oil that really nourished my dry skin and was a pleasure to use, I honestly think that oils are oils and I'm just as happy with a plain one that costs me $20 AUD because they do the same thing: that is, they hydrate my dry skin and keep it feeling comfortable during drier periods. Yes it absorbed well and yes it did everything I needed it to do while not feeling too heavy on the skin, but I think my skincare dollars are best spent elsewhere. Repurchase? No.


Revlon Balm Stain in 001 Honey

Full review here. This was on my Project Pan list, and while I think it was a pretty good product, it wasn't good enough to convince me to become a crayon kind of person.

I liked that it was hydrating enough that I didn't need to wear a balm underneath it, and it was also very lightweight and gave the lips a nice glossy finish. Plus it lasted reasonably well and it was comfortable to wear. It was one of those products that you could just throw on and forget about, which is always a plus. I'm still not a crayon person though. Purchase? No.

NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in Castle

I bought this with a Priceline voucher because I wanted a lavender lipstick and this was the closest thing I could find. Yes it was a little grey-toned so it wasn't flattering on its own, but it was a good one for mixing with the Revlon because that turned the lipstick into a warm lavender, which is my preference.

I've reviewed it here. While I did like how creamy it was (so I could rely on it for moisture without needing a balm), I didn't like how badly it emphasised lip texture - plus it was one of the worst I've come across when it comes to longevity so I wouldn't recommend the formula for these reasons. Purchase? No.


Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Cleanser

Full review here. This cleanser is raved about in the beauty community but it was a little too astringent for me so I couldn't use it twice daily or even once daily (I tended to use it every second day). Indeed, it has a pH of between 7 and 8, which would explain why it's a little too much for my dry, sometimes sensitive skin.

While I did enjoy using it - it smelled nice, it lathered beautifully and it cleaned well - it's not one I would necessarily buy again because I would of course prefer to use something a touch more gentle. Still, I can see why people love it. It's a pleasure to use. Repurchase? No.

Blistex Lip Conditioner SPF 15

I used to love this product - indeed, it was a staple for me during my school years - but I can't tolerate it like I used to. Perhaps my lips have become more sensitive over time. I've reviewed it here

It's a decent treatment lip balm for those who are suffering from chapped, sore lips and it has a medicinal/antiseptic smell that might explain why it tingles the lips when you first apply it. I know a lot of people swear by this stuff (indeed, I used to be one of them) but I don't like how it feels on my lips anymore - it stings a bit these days - so I wouldn't use it again. Purchase? No.


Alpha-H Absolute Lip Perfector

Full review here. This is another product that others swear by but that's too much for me personally. Reason being, it contains peppermint oil and I have a mild intolerance to that ingredient - as in, it doesn't burn my lips but they feel awful if I use something that contains too much of it.

What I will say about this product, though, is that it did make my lips look smoother and more plumped with continued use, so if you don't have an issue with peppermint but you do have an issue with lip texture, this might be something to try. Repurchase? No.

Alpha-H Balancing & Pore Refining Mask with Jojoba

This is one of my favourite masks of all time and I've now been through two tubes. I've reviewed it here

Here's the thing, though, it contains 100ml of product and has a six-month shelf life, and since I can only use it once a week because it's pretty potent, you can imagine that it's impossible to get through within expiry!

Still, it smooths and refines my skin, leaves it feeling brighter and softer after use, and it's one of the few masks that I've repurchased and would buy again. Few masks meet their claims or do much for me, but this one does both those things. Love. Repurchase? Yes.

In sum

That's all from me! 

It wasn't a great bunch of empties and the only thing I would repurchase is the Alpha-H mask. Hoh well, guess you can't win 'em all.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.