Skincare inventory: May 2018

/
0 Comments

Morning all! As I recently announced, I've decided to end my six-month skincare no buy two weeks early. If you'd like to hear more about my reasoning behind that decision, my announcement post is here.

Today I'm back as promised to write my updated skincare inventory so you can see where my numbers are at. If you're interested, my December 2017 inventory is here and my March 2018 one is here.

So! Let's have a look at how I've done since March.


Makeup remover

Previously I had two and I still have two (one open full-size and one unopened back-up).

One is my ultimate goal. We're getting there.

Cleansing oils/balms

I had one and I still have one, being a cleansing oil. Unfortunately I don't love the oil I have so I'll soon buy a different one, and I've been missing having a cleansing balm for months now so I can't wait to buy one of those too! 

Two is my goal so I'm allowed to make a purchase : )


Cleansers

This is all other cleansers aside from oils and balms, and it's one of my bad categories. Previously I had five (one being a travel-size), and I now have six open cleansers (one being a travel-size).

If you're wondering about the extra one, I opened a skincare kit that was given to me for Christmas - and you may remember my mentioning before that my numbers might fluctuate as I opened those throughout the year.

My goal is four, so I'd still like to reduce this category - but at least I can say that some of the cleansers I'm using are almost finished.

Exfoliants

I had four and I now have three (one open travel-size and one unopened one, plus an unopened full-size). 

Two's my goal here, and note that I would have two except that I received one in our recent Mecca Beauty Loop box.


Toners

For toners, I'm not only including standard toners but also my 'treatment' ones (eg my glycolic toner from Alpha-H). In my last inventory I had two, one being a standard toner and one being a glycolic acid product, and I still have two.

That's my goal so yay.

Acids/treatments

The products in this category are from The Ordinary and I wanted to make a separate heading for them because they don't really fit into any other category.

Before I had four and I now have three.

That was my goal so yay again.


Serums

Before I had three (two open full-sizes and one unopened one). I still have three, being one open full-size and one back-up, plus a 5ml mini that was included in our recent Mecca Beauty Loop box.

My goal was three so we're there, and there's room to buy another one because I need something more 'plain': one of the full-sizes and the mini are AHA products so I would like something simple that I can use on days where I've done a chemical peel or treatment the night before.

Eye creams

I had three and I still have three. I have finished one but I also opened a travel-size from one of my kits, so that's why the numbers haven't changed here.

Three is a good goal for me (one for morning, one for night and one for overnight), so I'm happy with that.


Day cream

Previously I had three full-sizes. I now have four day creams in total: two full-sizes, one mini and one travel-size. Note that the travel-size and mini came in gifted kits that I've now opened, which is why the numbers have fluctuated here (ie, I haven't bought any more during my ban, just opened presents and found more).

My aim was one but I'm changing that to two because one of my full-sizes is a glycolic product that I only use on days when I haven't eg done a chemical peel/treatment the night before (don't want to overdo it!). The smaller sizes will go soon enough so I'm not concerned about this category.

Night cream/overnight cream

Previously I had three and I now have two (one being an unopened travel-size).

Two was my goal with this category so hip hip hooray.


Oils

In this category I had two previously (one being open and one being unopened). I now have three (two of which are unopened) because even though I finished one oil, another one came from a kit and one came as a freebie from Priceline's reward program.

Two was my goal here but I don't mind having more: it's cold now so my poor dry skin needs all the oil it can get!

Masks

In my last inventory I had nine: four open full-sizes, four unopened full-sizes and an unopened travel-size. Yikes.

Now I have five open full-sizes, one unopened full-size and one unopened travel-size - so seven in total.

My goal was four. We're getting there. Slowly. Blurgh.

Unopened skincare kits 

Previously I had three and I now have one. When I did my December inventory, I wasn't able to count the items individually because I knew I was getting the kits for Christmas but I didn't know what was in them - so I've been tied to that and I've just had to roll with it.

I don't really have a goal here, but I don't want any more than four unopened kits at a time.


The final tally

In December's inventory I had 74 items in total, with my aim being to cut things down to less than 50 by June. In March I had 44 products (including three kits with a few items in them) so I'd already surpassed that goal by then and my new goal was to have 35 to 40 products by the end of my no buy.

Drum roll please...

I now have 40 skincare items in total. I made it! Phew.

Worth noting is that this inventory was the first one I've done so far where I didn't need to go upstairs and count everything individually. Why? Because I know exactly what I have. Why? Because I don't have ridiculous amounts anymore.

Indeed, there's a lot to be said for not needing to walk up and down those damn stairs any more than I have to today: my body has been beaten to a pulp by tantrum-ing toddlers already and my poor legs are dead from having to carry said toddlers around all day long ; )


In sum

I'm glad I've surpassed my goal for the total number of skincare items I wanted to own by the end of my no buy. There's still work to be done in some categories, but I'm ok with that because the inventory process has helped me track which items I'm finishing and how quickly, and which ones just don't want to die.

As you may know, I'm still on a makeup no buy until June so I'll be continuing with that and I'll check back in with my makeup inventory post shortly.

I may also introduce low buys once June (being my birthday month) is over, but that's a decision for another day.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


* All images courtesy of unsplash.com


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.