July 2018 empties #2

/
0 Comments

You may remember that I wanted to get three empties posts happening this month, and while I may not quite make it, I have this second one to do today and I might have enough products in my empties box to do a third one by the end of July. We'll see.

The reason why I'm hoping for big empties months in July and August is because I know for a fact that many of the skincare products I have open are on the way out, so finishing those will allow me to bring in some fun new things to play with. Fingers crossed.

In no particular order...


RCMA No Colour Powder

Full review here. This is a good product but I decided to use it up via Project Pan because it's not the best setting powder I own: while it's finely milled, it doesn't blur texture as much as I would like.

The good thing about it, though, is that it's cheap and you get a mountain of product - plus it doesn't leave a white cast - but the bad thing is that the packaging is awful and I don't see how this pepper shaker arrangement is any cheaper than a different plastic container (which is the only explanation I can think of for why they might have used this packaging). Otherwise it's good, but it's not my favourite. Repurchase? No.

Graydon Hair Smoothie

This came from Maslow & Co last year, and it should have worked as a leave-in conditioner on me but unfortunately it really didn't. I've reviewed it here.

It weighed my hair down, it didn't help with shine or detangling, and it didn't manage frizz either. I was able to pan it as a conditioner but it didn't work well for that purpose - it was just the least-bad and also the easiest way to use it up. Purchase? No.


Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette

Full review here. I finished this via Pan that Palette and never once did I tire of it. Indeed, Hourglass makes my favourite formula for blush and this palette was an absolute pleasure to pan.

Each blush was finely milled, they all blended and applied beautifully, and they all looked angelic on the cheeks. Few formulas manage to achieve that 'lit from within' look, but this one does. It airbrushes the face too. Repurchase? Already have: I own a couple of singles.

Becca Backlight Targeted Corrector in Papaya

I haven't finished this but I've decided to declutter it, which is why it's showing up in my empties: it will soon be sent to a better home. I've reviewed it here.

My issue with this product was that, not only did it not work on my dark circles, but the formula itself lifted and mixed with any concealer I placed over it - meaning I always wound up with orange under-eyes when I tried to use it. Not a good look. The original Becca corrector didn't do that so I'll be returning to that one soon. Repurchase? No.


Skyn Iceland Glacial Face Wash

Full review here. I really enjoyed this product and it wasn't drying on my skin (at least, not that I could feel), but it had a pH of between an eight and a nine so I can't recommend it because it may well be damaging to skin (it doesn't contain any SLS etc, but that high pH concerns me).

Otherwise it was a beautiful product that lathered up and cleaned my skin without feeling too astringent, and a little went a long way so even this 30ml tube lasted for ages. I do plan to ask my dermatologist about the ingredients next time I see him, but for now I'll just say to check with an expert before you use it. Repurchase? No.

Perricone MD Pre:Empt Series, Oil-Free Hydrating Cream 

This cream was nice and I enjoyed using it, but I don't think it's worth the price-tag. Full review here

It was lightweight and felt more like a hybrid gel/cream in texture. I liked how refreshing and cooling it felt on the skin: it was a pleasure to apply. Having said this, it formed a tacky film over my face - rather than sinking in and delivering nourishment - so I don't think it's right for those who need deep hydration. Repurchase? No.


The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%

Full review here. This product was too potent for me to use as a serum, but I did find a use for it as a face mask so it wasn't all bad.

What I found was that it brightened and plumped up my skin if I layered it on and left it for twenty minutes before washing it off (so it was great to use before big events), but if I left it on as a serum, my face dried out and became irritated. I wouldn't buy it just to use it as a mask, though I did enjoy it so I didn't mind panning it. Repurchase? No.

Skyn Iceland Arctic Face Oil 

I liked this product but it's also expensive for what it is and I personally don't think you need to spend this much to get a good facial oil. Full review here

It's a very thick oil that does feel rather heavy on the skin and also leaves a greasy residue, so if you have oily skin or you don't like the feeling of rich oils on your face, then this mightn't be for you. 

If however you have dry skin like I do, then this might suit you. I've found it especially good during the cooler months, and while it would be too much even for my dry skin in summer, it worked well for winter. Repurchase? No.


Cremorlab TEN Cremor Mineral Treatment Essence

This was an essence that claimed to restore your skin's suppleness and natural moisture balance. I didn't review it because the sample was small, but I did enjoy it while I had it. 

I've always liked essences because they add an extra layer of hydration to the skin without weighing it down, although I have to say that this one wasn't very good and I didn't feel any real benefit to using it. Yes it hydrated my skin a little but that's about it. I guess it was refreshing too. I reckon I can do better. Purchase? No.

Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

This was a lovely serum and I reckon it did some great things for my skin - it resurfaced, brightened and plumped - but it honestly wasn't worth the $196 AUD that you'll pay for the full-size. Still, I was glad to receive this sample so I could try it.

Yes it absorbed well and yes my face really liked it, but I don't think you need to drop that much on a decent serum. Alpha-H does good serums that also contain active ingredients, and even my HG Lancome serum is half the price of this one. Purchase? No.

In sum

It's taken me a while to write this post today because we're still sick and tired here (my husband and I especially), but I got there in the end so that's a positive.

The best item in this lot was the Hourglass blush palette: everything else I can take or leave.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.