July 2018 empties #3

/
0 Comments

Well, I promised myself that I would try to do three empties posts this month and I've managed to get there so I'm back today with the third one. Huzzah!

While I had hoped to get three done in August too, I think that's probably unlikely because I've gotten through most of the things that were on their last legs during July - although I'll still keep at it because I've managed to get my stores down significantly now and I want to keep that going.

In no particular order...


Bondi Sands Everyday Liquid Gold Dry Oil

Full review here. This product was fine but I tried the original Bondi Sands tanning oil first and liked that a hell of a lot better than I liked this, so I wouldn't buy it again.

It's a dry oil that smells like coconut and while it applies well, the tan it creates takes a lot of building so you need to use the product for a good few days before you'll get any colour, plus it doesn't last as long as the other one so you'll need to apply it more often in order to maintain it.

While I think the product was fine, I would much prefer something that I can apply once or twice a week and forget about. I couldn't do that with this so it's a pass for me. Repurchase? No.

Nivea Protect & Moisture Moisturising Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50+

Every time I look at the title of this product ('Protect & Moisture'), I want to punch the container - you can't bang a noun and a verb together like that and expect it to sound good. Blurgh. As a writer and editor, it's really more than I can stand! Ha.

As for the product itself (full review here), I do like it and I think it moisturises my dry skin well so it's been a good sunscreen for winter because it adds an extra layer of hydration to my face. Yes it leaves a greasy residue, but it adds a nourishing one too so I can forgive it. I can't forgive the product's name, though. Might be time for me to try something else. Repurchase? Maybe.


Alpha-H Liquid Laser Super Anti-Ageing Balm

Full review here. I wanted to love this product because it's from Alpha-H (my favourite skincare brand of all time) and it was also expensive so I expected it to perform. Unfortunately it didn't do much for me though, so I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't repurchase it.

It's a balm that's quite rich so it likely won't suit those with oily skin, and I felt that it had more of a protective element than a nourishing one. Yes it hydrated a little, but it also left a film on the skin that was better for sealing in my other products than it was for anything else. It should have targeted signs of ageing (eg age spots and firmness) but it didn't do that for me so I was glad to finish it. Repurchase? No.

Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme

Full review here. This is a great hand cream if you have dry skin because it's so moisturising. Indeed, it's so heavy that I only wear it overnight because it does hang around on the hands, but ever since having kids I've needed a heavy-duty hand treatment and this has fit the bill. 

The tub lasted me for ages, and towards the end I started using it on my dry tootsies as well because I was keen to get some use from one of my other hand creams (I have so many at the moment). But I do love it and it's one I recommend if your hands are really parched. Repurchase? Yes.


NYX Turnt Up! Lipstick in Free Spirit

Full review here. I normally love NYX products but this one didn't grab me because it didn't perform well, and it was also a very bright colour - and the brighter the colour, the less forgiving it is and the more performance matters.

It was nicely hydrating and lightweight, but it sat in lip lines and also travelled outside my lips, plus it emphasised texture. On top of that it didn't fade evenly so it was patchy very soon after application because it also transferred easily. Purchase? No.

NYX Butter Gloss in Raspberry Tart

I love these glosses and they remain my HG formula. Whether budget or high-end, these are the glosses I keep going back to and also the ones I recommend the most. I've reviewed this one here.

The formula is beautifully hydrating and it also plumps up the lips and smooths them out. Plus it wears well and doesn't move outside lip lines, and you can pick these up for a song if you shop around. This particular shade was a little bright for me so I was pleased to finish it, but I still enjoyed it while I had it. Repurchase? Yes, but in another colour.


Urban Decay Brow Beater Microfine Brow Pencil in Neutral Brown

Full review here. While this product was ok, I personally don't think it was worth the price-tag and do note that you only get 0.028g of product in here so it may just be the smallest brow pencil on the market.

It's a standard twist-up arrangement and the pencil itself is very thin, which I appreciate. You will need to build this product because it's rather dry but I'm ok with that because I prefer more natural brows. The spoolie on the end is good quality so that's a plus, but the pencil didn't last well throughout the day and I really think you can do better. Repurchase? No.

Clarins Exfoliating Body Scrub for Smooth Skin

This product came in a gift pack that my mum bought me for Christmas, and while I enjoyed it, I wouldn't recommend buying it because the full-size costs $55 AUD (yikes) and I don't think you need to spend that much on a body scrub. I've reviewed it here.

I liked that it contained gentle scrubby matter that offered the body a nice polish without being irritating, although if you prefer harsher scrubs then this mightn't be for you. It was also enjoyable to use because it felt nice and my skin felt smoother afterwards, but I've used budget body scrubs that do the same thing so I wouldn't rush out and buy this. Purchase? No.


Perricone MD Pre:Empt Series, Brightening Eye Cream

Full review here. This eye cream was ok but it didn't suit my personal needs so it's not one I would buy. It didn't sink in properly and hydrate my skin. Indeed, my eyes always felt dry underneath the product so it wasn't a good eye cream for me.

Also, while I do think it was a little brightening and also had a slight firming effect, considering that they've put light-reflecting pearls and glycerin in the formula to achieve those things, I wouldn't get too excited about what it's doing for you long-term. You could find a budget eye cream that contains those ingredients and save your hard-earned money. Repurchase? No.

Nip+Fab Kale Fix Dry Skin Moisturiser

I didn't review this because the sample wasn't large enough, although I did include it in one of my recent samples posts.

It was a nice moisturiser. It was rich, hydrating and nourishing, and my dry skin really liked it. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for oily skin because I think it'd be a little too much and it does leave a greasy residue behind, for my skin it worked well (especially now that it's cold). I wouldn't buy it because it wasn't a stand-out, but I liked it while I had it. Purchase? No.

In sum

That's all from me. I'm pleased that I've managed to reach my goal of writing three empties posts during July (which means I've knocked out thirty products this month) and I'll certainly be aiming to have another good month in August.

The best items in this lot were the NYX gloss and the Burt's Bees hand cream. Everything else I can take or leave.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.