Fun new things to play with 2019 #2: update with mini reviews

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to another samples update post.

I introduced these months ago and I've been meaning to update this post with mini reviews for a while, it's just that I've had so much on that things have fallen off the rails a bit where blogging's concerned. Still, we're here now so that's the main thing.

Let's get straight into it, and after that I need to introduce my next round of larger samples - another thing I've been meaning to do for a while!


Olay Regenerist Luminous Tone Perfecting Cream

Full review here. I don't like this cream at all and I'm glad I've finished it. Unsurprisingly I'm not the only one who isn't a fan, and the reviews on eg beautyheaven's website are lukewarm at best.

It contains artificial fragrance (and a good dose of it), and although it feels smooth and creamy in texture, from the moment I first used it, I could feel how chalky and powdery it felt when applied - so I wasn't surprised to see that the formula is heavy on silicones. What this means (at least in my case) is that the damn stuff won't absorb properly, so it leaves my face feeling tight and parched after use. It also has a tendency to ball up when you layer it over a serum or try to put something more hydrating over the top. Blurgh.


Madara AHA Brightening Peel Mask

Full review here. This is a good product, and while it's not the most effective peel I've used, I like that it's gentle enough that I can use it a few times a week if I want to without upsetting my skin.

When applied, this has a tingling effect that tells me it's working. It's not an uncomfortable feeling - it just feels as though it's eating away at dead skin (lovely ; )). After use my skin looks brighter and feels smoother, plus it feels firmer and gently resurfaced. It's the kind of product that does its job without causing any discomfort or irritation - or at least it hasn't for me.

Nevertheless, I still prefer Skinstitut's Enzymatic Micro Peel (reviewed here), which is a very similar product - it's just a bit cheaper (and often available on special), and I think the Skinstitut is more hydrating than this one, so it suits my dry skin better while still delivering the same results


Weleda Lavender Creamy Body Wash

Full review here. Body washes are things that I don't normally notice using (I just want something that works), but I've really been enjoying this one from the moment I opened my first tube and I'm looking forward to trying another fragrance: I reckon the Pomegranate version has my name all over it.

It's a white, creamy gel product with a soothing lavender scent, and there's something buttery about the texture: it almost melts into the skin. Do note that the product doesn't foam, but it does lather a tiny bit (it's a rich, creamy kind of lather) and it doesn't strip my skin but instead leaves it feeling soft, gently clean and hydrated. It should suit those with sensitive skin who need something gentle that still does the job. Lovely. 


Madara Micellar Water

I didn't hate this product but I didn't love it either. Sure it's gentle, but it's not super effective and I wouldn't buy it for myself. Worth noting is that it's had mixed reviews online (some love it while others agree that it's not very effective), so I'm not the only one who didn't get on well with it. I've reviewed it here.

From the moment I used it, I could tell that it wasn't a 'heavy duty' product. Some micellars really cut through grease while others don't do the job so well, and this falls in the latter category. It doesn't do a good job of makeup removal (whether waterproof eye makeup or otherwise), so I need to get the rest of my makeup off with something else. Not for me.


Weleda Sea Buckthorn Hand Cream

Full review here. I didn't like this product at all. First, it's not hydrating enough for my dry skin so it doesn't ease the tightness in my hands or leave my skin feeling soft or comfortable. 

Second, it's unbelievably sticky (it's the stickiest product I've ever used) so I can't apply it during the day because I need to wash it off my palms if I want to use them - which I always do of course because, you know, hands get do used somewhat ; ) 

Third, it sits on top of the skin rather than sinking in delivering nourishment where I need it most. It's more of a barrier cream that I can only use overnight to seal in other products, which I don't need to do - so essentially it's performing no function for me personally and I'm glad it's finished. Disappointing. 


Acure Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub

I received a couple of these scrubs as GWPs and I'd meant to review this one but finished it before I could, so I'll have to review it before I finish my second tube. In short, it's a good product and I enjoy using it.

It claims to lift and buff away dead skin cells and built-up dirt and grime, while nourishing, hydrating and brightening the skin. I reckon it does those things, and while it does contain scrubby matter, it doesn't feel too scratchy on the skin and I don't find it to be too harsh. It also contains heaps of scrubby matter, so a little goes a long way and even this 30ml sample lasted me ages. I definitely enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to reviewing my second tube. 


Pai Comfrey & Calendula Calming Body Cream

This is described as a rich, non-greasy body cream that's especially formulated for skin that's mature, dry, irritated or inflamed. It's designed to deeply nourish, hydrate and comfort aggravated skin while still allowing skin to breathe.

Unfortunately I didn't like this at all. I found that it didn't absorb well, and it almost had a slightly chalky texture that I didn't enjoy. It also left my skin feeling dry after use, and I needed to use a lot per application because it didn't spread well, so I don't think the full size would be good value on a price-per-use basis. Not for me.


Pai Echium & Argan Gentle Eye Cream

Full review here. This is a good, simple eye cream that hydrates my dry eye area without weighing it down. It's lightweight and absorbs well, and while my eyes didn't look too bad while I used this, it's only just hydrating enough for my dry skin and something richer would smooth out my eye area more effectively.

It also doesn't do anything for my fine lines or wrinkles, nor does it brighten my eye area or plump my skin to make it appear more youthful. It's a one-trick pony kind of product (or at least it is in my experience), so that's something to keep in mind - especially when you consider the price-tag. It may suit those with younger eyes than mine (or those who don't have dry skin), but it doesn't do enough for me personally.

In sum

That's all from me! 

I'm pleased that I've finally updated this post and I'm looking forward to introducing my third and fourth rounds of larger samples for the year (both of which I've photographed but haven't posted on yet). The two items that stood out to me the most in this lot were the Madara scrub and the Weleda body wash. Everything else I can take or leave.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.