Sachet city: samples used in October 2015

/
0 Comments

This post has been drafting itself for a while because I've wanted to stick with the skincare I'm using and only introduce one of these samples at a time.

The reason for this is that my skincare has been working well lately and I don't want to rock the boat! But if I didn't make an effort to use my sachets, then I would have a truckload of them sitting around gathering dust. Plus I'm always on the look-out for new products, so I do like using my samples from time to time just to see if I'm missing out on anything amazing.


Suki Balancing Facial Oil

I've used this before and I loved it. Full review here. It's nicely hydrating without being greasy or leaving a slick residue, and it feels lovely on and has an anti-inflammatory effect.

This particular oil is designed for combo/oily skin, however, and I'm better off with the oil that's meant for combo/dry skin - so if I buy a Suki oil, it will be the other one. I do have some Suki products waiting to be opened, so I might pick up the facial oil to go with those since I really love the brand and want to try as many Suki products as I can.


Kevin Murphy Anti Gravity Oil Free Volumiser

This is an oil free volumiser and texturiser that's designed to create bigger, thicker hair instantly. It's also meant to help hold your style and control flyaways while delivering an oil free shine.

Now, my hair is naturally boofy so I can't really speak to whether this adds volume because I have no shortage of that! What it does do however is add some shine and does a little to tame frizz without weighing my hair down.

It's a clear, cloudy gel that my hair seems to like and the best thing about it is that my hair looks healthier and feels easier to manage when I use it, so I would recommend it for those reasons alone. It's not one I would buy though since I need something that's designed for dry, frizzy hair.

Kevin Murphy Easy Rider Anti Frizz Creme Flexible Hold

This is apparently packed with vitamins and minerals for luscious curls with no frizz. It's meant to nourish your hair while enhancing your curls and taming flyaways.

The product has had some great reviews but unfortunately I don't love it at all. It's a thick, sticky white cream that does tame frizz but also weighs my hair down, makes it feel sticky and heavy, and also makes it look dull and coated. It therefore reduces the time between washes (not ideal!) and I hate how it makes my hair feel.

Definitely not for me.


Dermalogica Total Eye Care SPF15

This one is apparently a tinted cream to retexturise, protect and refresh the vulnerable eye area during the day with a blend of gentle hydroxy acids, an SPF15 chemical-free sunscreen, puffiness-reducing botanicals and circle-concealing optical light diffusers.

It's peach-coloured and very rich, and I don't notice anything in terms of puff-reducing, but it's definitely super nourishing and has a brightening effect. Plus it absorbs well and leaves my eye area hydrated. I like it but I'm not sold on it. I wouldn't mind trying another sample to see if it's one for the wishlist.

Dermalogica C-12 Pure Bright Serum

Now this one I like. It's described as a lightweight, highly-active topical treatment that combats hyperpigmentation (eg brown spots, discolouration and uneven skintone).

The sample size obviously wasn't enough to see whether it helps with pigmentation issues - presumably there's meant to be a cumulative effect over time - but I loved the feel of the serum itself. It's rich but light at the same time, and it's a little thicker than other serums I've used. It also felt wonderfully soothing on the skin. I'm not sure whether I would buy it, but I certainly wouldn't knock it back if it came my way.


Alpha-H Micro Cleanse with Glycolic Acid & Rice Bran

I'm a huge fan of Alpha-H products but this one isn't my favourite. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad product - it's just that I prefer other exfoliants from the brand and this one I can take or leave.

It smells quite strong (I guess that's the rice bran) and contains little beads that do a reasonable job of exfoliation. I've used better exfoliants however and this one doesn't leave my face looking fresh and glowing after use, and it doesn't really add anything to my skincare routine.

Looks like I'm in the minority here, however: most reviews I've seen of this product give it five stars!

Aesop Primrose Facial Hydrating Cream

This one's a daily moisturising cream for normal to dry or stressed skin. It's apparently Aesop's most lauded and coveted product; and it aims to hydrate, soften and smooth the skin.

Look, this is a beautifully nourishing cream that does soften and smooth the skin, but for some reason Aesop has never grabbed me as a brand and this product is no exception. Plus the cream smells like lavender, and I've never liked lavender as a scent. There's nothing wrong with this product and it does leave my normal-to-dry skin feeling calmed and hydrated, it's just that it doesn't wow me. But I can see why a lot of people love this particular cream.

In sum

This wasn't a great bunch of products and the Suki oil and Dermalogica serum are the stand outs. I would definitely like to try the serum again to see if it's one for the wishlist, and I'd love to sample the Suki oil that's designed for dry skin, so I'll be on the look-out for that.




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.