September 2015 favourites

/
0 Comments

Well, this post contains my first attempts at different and more interesting photography. I'm not a photographer and have no training - I'm a writer and editor by trade - but I thought it was high time I at least tried to learn a new skill.

Fortunately we're staying at my folks' house at the moment because we're waiting to move into our new place (two weeks to go!), and my mother is a textile artist so she has a lot of interesting bits and bobs lying around the house that I can use as backgrounds and props.

Anyhoo. Let me know if you think I've made an ok start on learning how to photograph products in a more creative and interesting way : )

Now, September favourites!


Nars Duo Eyeshadow in Portobello

Full review here. As you may know, I'm not the biggest fan of Nars eyeshadows as a general rule because there's inconsistency between different duos in terms of quality, and the whole range is shimmer-heavy - not good for those of us with hooded eyes who need to use mattes so we don't highlight our eye-puff!

Having said this, Portobello is a wonderful 'my lids but better' duo, and I used it a lot in September because once the sun starts shining I prefer to use brighter colours on my lips and cheeks - meaning I need something more neutral for my eyes so my face doesn't wind up looking like a colouring book.


Croquis Alight Pact

This was a Memebox inclusion, and despite disliking so many of the makeup products I received in the boxes, this product is just sensational - and the more I use it, the more I like it. Full review here.

I've put in on my Project Pan list because it's so versatile and I love it so much that I want to use it every day! It's had a big work-out this month: what I've been using it for is an all-over setting powder because it adds a beautiful but natural glow that's totally believeable - unlike many highlighters on the market. It doesn't hit Hourglass standards in terms of making one's face look like it's been kissed by angels, but it's definitely up there where highlighters are concerned.

I've also (belatedly) discovered that you can use the gold, pink and lavender circles as individual highlights - you can see the gold is my favourite! - and they work beautifully on the inner corners of the eyes to give a nice sheen, with not a speck of glitter in sight.


Eslor Active Night Cream and Replenishing Scrub

These are old favourites of mine, and if you read this blog, you'll know that I'm a huge fan of Eslor products in general. I've reviewed the night cream here and the scrub here.

The texture of the night cream has to be used to be believed. It's buttery and gorgeous, and melts wonderfully into the skin. It's rich so a little goes a long way, and I used it a lot during September because I've been trying some resurfacing liquid exfoliants, cleansers and creams from Alpha-H, so I needed something rich and replenishing to apply at night.

The scrub has also had a workout during September because I've needed a more gentle scrub so as not to overdo the whole exfoliation thing (considering the Alpha-H products mentioned above) - otherwise I'd have risked scrubbing my face right down to the bone.


theBalm Time Balm Primer

Full review here. This product is also on my Project Pan list, but only because it's getting a bit old - not because I want to get rid of it!

I'm normally not a fan of pore-plugging, silicone-based primers (think Benefit's The POREfessional), but this one is amazing. It's velvety and applies like a dream, plus it feels so nice on the skin that it's a pleasure to use.

I used it a lot in September because I've been reaching for BB/CC creams and tinted moisturisers with higher sun protection now that the sun's out. Products containing sunscreen tend to be a little greasy, so I've needed a primer that's more mattifying than hydrating to combat the shine factor - just so it doesn't look like I've been for a swim. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. Swimming, I mean.)

In sum

This is only my second monthly favourites post and I'm glad I've finally decided to start doing them!

I've also had some fun muddling through trying to take better photos, and I've enjoyed involving my eight-month-old daughter in the process by using the scarves pictured to play peek-a-boo and doing crazy dances while waving around the props like drumsticks to keep her entertained.

It's been a pleasure to see her exploding in fits of laughter when I do this, and I'm well aware that, soon enough, if I do things like this she'll start rolling her eyes and calling me an idiot.

Because I am an idiot. She just doesn't know that yet ; )




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.