December 2018 favourites

/
0 Comments
While I've done my 2018 Best in Beauty posts recently, I still like to write my December favourites each year - for the simple reason that I don't want the products I've loved during December to fall through the cracks. 

Indeed, just because something hasn't made the yearly favourites list, doesn't mean that I haven't been loving it - and there are certainly products I've been using this month that deserve a mention here.

So without further ado...


Anastasia Beverly Hills Powder Bronzer in Saddle

Full review here. While this wasn't my favourite bronzer discovery of 2018 (that title goes to Marc Jacobs Tan-tastic), I've been using it a lot this month via Project Dent and I do really like it so I wanted to mention it here.

While it doesn't have the airbrushing effect of my Hourglass bronzers, it does perform beautifully and I recommend it. It applies and blends well (even if my tinted moisturiser is a little tacky), and it's not a flat matte so it looks very natural on the skin and doesn't announce itself as powder.

I also love the colour of this particular shade (I'm a sucker for a golden undertone) and I can see myself using this a lot over the summer: it's the right kind of shade for my yellow-based, medium skintone at this time of year. Definitely worth testing.


Skin Physics Dragon's Blood 3 in 1 Advanced Treatment Cleanser

This product should have made my yearly favourites, but I forgot to include it. Oops! Hoh well, let's sing its praises now. I've reviewed it here.

I love that this feels cooling and soothing on the skin when applied, so it's been a good cleanser to use during the summer heat. It doesn't lather so much as become thinner and silkier when you add water, and the texture feels lovely on the skin. I also enjoy that you can leave this on for a few minutes as a mask: I love a good double-purpose product and this is definitely one of those

After use, my skin is left looking brighter and fresher, and feeling smoother and softer to boot. Plus it sloughs away dead skin and unclogs/decongests pores. Love. This one's an HG.


BareMinerals Gen Nude Patent Lip Lacquer in Everything

Full review here. This product surprised me because I don't normally like lip lacquers (I'm a gloss girl all the way), but it looks and feels like a gloss on the lips so it's not surprising that it floats my boat.

What I like about this formula is that it stays on the lips very well, so it lasts better than the glosses I normally wear - which means I don't need to reapply it all the time. I also like that it has a glassy texture rather than a sticky one too, and it doesn't feather or bleed throughout the day.

Plus it has a smoothing and plumping effect, which is something I look for in my lip products because I'm not 22 anymore and I prefer things that smooth out my lip lines.

The downside is that it's not hydrating enough for my dry lips (I need to lay a balm down first), but I suspect it would be hydrating enough for most people. I'm just weird ; ) 


Hourglass Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint SPF 15 in Warm Ivory

I've been a fan of this product for a long time now. Note, though, that I'm calling it a 'foundation': it's not a tint, it has more coverage than a tint, and indeed it has even more than a tinted moisturiser. It's a foundation that offers at least a medium coverage unless you really sheer it out (which I normally do), and you can build it to medium-to-full coverage if you want to. I've reviewed it here.

What I love about this product is that it takes very little effort to blend (I use my fingers) and it looks natural on the skin. Best of all, it doesn't sit in pores around the hairline and it's rare for me to find a foundation that doesn't do that. Tick.

Also note that this performs unbelievably well in the stinking Australian summer: I wore this to a beach wedding in 43 degree heat (plus I wore it on the journey up and back in a hot car) and the product didn't budge. That's rare. Definitely worth testing for that reason alone!


Tarte Timeless Smoothing Primer

Full review here. While I've had some trouble with pore-plugging primers before (they tend to slip around and also ball up when I apply foundation over the top, plus foundation can slide off them throughout the day), this primer does none of those things.

What I like about this is that it plugs in pores and gives me a smooth base for makeup application, and my pores are a little less noticeable once I've applied my foundation over the top. I also think it's a good product for me for summer, because it's mattifying and I produce more oil in the heat, despite having dry skin.

Plus it helps my makeup last a little longer, and it doesn't crease or intensify wrinkles throughout the day. Indeed, so far I've only come across two pore-plugging primers that work well for me: this one and my trusty Clarins primer (reviewed here). They're on par in terms of performance, and I would buy both again.

In sum

Them's my favourites for December! 

Do let me know if you have any favourites for the month: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.