Five good things: December 2018

/
0 Comments

I'm tired today so I don't feel like writing review posts, and while I would normally write my monthly positives on around the 20th of each month, I've decided to do them a little earlier for December.

Part of the reason for this is that writing my monthly positives has become something I often do when I'm exhausted because it can help with my mood, plus December is getting increasingly busy and I know it will be hard to squeeze in the various posts I need to write over the next fortnight (including my yearly favourites), so best I knock out what I can now.

So! In no particular order...


I'm having a month or so off panning

Yes I'm still doing Project Dent at the moment, but those short two-week bursts of using the same product are nothing compared to the year-long hauls of Project Pan and Pan that Palette.

And while I wound-up Pan that Palette a couple of months ago, it was only in December that I closed down Project Pan for the year. I'm excited about this, I must say: I've been able to reach for any product I want to, and it's been nice to dust off various items in my collection and use them for a few days before moving on to something else.

While in many ways it would be nice to never have to pan, I do enjoy the panning process and I think that constricting yourself via panning does make the non-constricted times feel even better. It's the ultimate freedom: I'm loving it. 


All the Christmas shopping is done

I always do the Christmas shopping early because I find there are often good sales in October, so if I buy then, I'm saving money while also reducing stress because I haven't left anything until the last minute.

Doing the shopping early also means that I have plenty of time to wrap everything, and while most of the wrapping is done too, I still have a few items that I'll knock off over the weekend.

I also like getting the gifts out of the way early because we host dinner on Christmas Eve each year (my mum likes hosting Christmas Day), and there's always planning around that so I would rather leave the fortnight before Christmas to focus on the event, rather than having to deal with other things.

So yes, the presents are done, most of the wrapping is done, and the Christmas tree is also up. Festively speaking, we're going ok.


It's raining cats and dogs today

Have I ever mentioned how much I love the rain? Well I do. And today, it's raining something chronic. I love it. I love hearing that rhythmic pelt outside, I love the smell of it, and I love watching it fall and splash off the rooftops and ground. It's mesmerising.

I also love that the rain has brought a cool change along with it. It's been quite hot in Melbourne over the last couple of weeks, and while we haven't reached the height of summer yet, the house has become a bit stuffy so it was nice to open all the windows last night and let the breeze in, just before the rain started.

The only bad thing about said rain is that I forgot to bring my dry washing in from the line last night. Oops. Looks like that load is going to get a few extra washes...


I've been spending some quality time with my son

Yesterday my mum picked up my daughter to go to the grandparent's house for a sleepover, and today they've taken her into the city to see a kids' ballet and go out for lunch.

What's nice about this is that, not only do I know that they're having a wonderful time, but for the last 24 hours, it's just been me and my little boy at home. When my daughter is here, she's the loud one and she's at that demanding threenager age, and my son is more chilled out so he tends to be happy just doing his own thing and doesn't ask for nearly as much.

But now that he's the only kid in the house, he's been taking full advantage of that - and he didn't want to go to sleep last night so we sat together for a few hours reading stories or watching YouTube videos while my husband was out for dinner. It was lovely.

Today my son has been doing some quiet drawing - unimpeded by his sister, who always steals his crayons just to annoy him - and he's occasionally come over to throw a ball with me. It's been nice. He's quite a relaxed child (the opposite of my daughter!) and I like that he's been able to get my full attention for once. That doesn't often happen ; )


My husband goes on holidays tomorrow

Mex is winding up work early this year because his mum is out from Mexico and he wants to spend time with her, and what's good about this is that he's home for the next fortnight so I'll have extra help on the domestic front.

What this also means is that I now have more time to plan catch-ups with friends (sans children), while normally I have to schedule those in and I don't have a large window of opportunity to do it. But the next two weeks are more free, so I'll be able to do more last-minute coffees and spontaneous lunches, and that has to be a good thing.

We're also planning to spend a bit more time with each other, since it's hard to fit that in with a 3yo and a 2yo in the house - so we'll be using the kinder and childcare hours next week to do more relaxing stuff for ourselves. Looking forward.


In sum

That's all from me. December has been an ok month so far (a lot less crazy than the three months before it) and I'm glad that things feel as though they're winding up for the year. I'm definitely ready to find more space to relax over the next couple of weeks, when we have more carers available, so I'm looking forward to that.

Do let me know in the comments what your positives are for the month: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


* All images courtesy of unsplash.com


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.