May 2016 empties #2

/
0 Comments

I suddenly realised yesterday that it was almost the end of May and therefore high time for my usual monthly round up of favourites and empties, plus a much-needed Project Pan update.

To be honest I couldn't be bothered locating all my PP products and photographing those, and I haven't given thought to my favourites yet so I chose the empties post first since all my empties are sitting in a box near my camera spot, so I went for the low-hanging fruit ; )


Nella Fantasia Pore Control Astringent Gel

This was a Memebox inclusion that I've already discussed via Project Pan so I won't crap on about it here, but see my full review if you're interested in the product. In short, it's a great toning gel but I wasn't using it enough because I prefer toners you apply with a makeup pad - plus there was so much of the stuff that I wasn't getting through it (hence why I chucked it in Project Pan). Purchase? No.

Sans[ceuticals] Baobab Regenerative Body Cream

Full review here. This was a Maslow & Co inclusion and it's one of those products that I really wanted to love but just didn't. Problem was, I didn't feel it was hydrating enough for my dry skin, plus I had issues getting it to absorb well (damn streaking) and it was so thick that I used up my sample too quickly. Not what you want from an expensive body cream! Purchase? No.


Elemental Herbology Cell Food Radiance & Vitality Serum

I absolutely love this stuff: it absorbs and spreads well so a little goes a long way; it leaves my face looking brighter and fresher; and it smooths out my skin and leaves it looking hydrated and more radiant. Plus I feel like it's doing good things for my complexion in terms of making it look and feel more even. I've reviewed it here.

Problem is, the dropper arrangement means that you can't get the damn stuff out when you're halfway through the bottle, so you need to store it upside down and dispense it without the dropper (giving it a good whack on your hand once you get near the end of the product). ANNOYING. And reason enough not to buy it. Repurchase? Probably not, given the pricetag and dumbarse packaging.

L'Oreal Advanced Revitalift Refinishing Gentle Microdermabrasion Exfoliator

Full review here. Man will I miss this stuff, and it's been discontinued so I can't buy it again. Annoying because dedicated microdermabrasion products aren't easy to find and the only one in Mecca (from Dr Brandt) costs a whopping $118. Argh! 

This L'Oreal one cost $40 and came with a matching post-treatment cream, and I'm thinking there must be another cheaper option on the market that's as good as this one: it resurfaces the skin beautifully without being too scratchy or harsh and I don't feel that it's harming my skin. Repurchase? Yes, if I could! Do let me know if you're aware of a good, inexpensive replacement.


Mecca Hands On Transforming Hand Cream

I received this last year from Mecca as my birthday gift, and it's one of those products that I liked more and more each time I used it. I've reviewed it here.

It's a great product that's nicely hydrating without being too heavy, and it leaves your hands feeling nourished and silky smooth. There's a slight residue left behind but it's not too slick or greasy, and it absorbs well. While it's not my favourite hand cream because it's not quite hydrating enough for my dry hands - which are super parched these days - I'd definitely consider buying it if my skin changes. Purchase? Maybe.

MOR Candied Vanilla Hand & Body Lotion

Full review here. I received this as a GWP and I absolutely love it. The scent is gorgeous and the texture is thicker and richer than what you'd expect from a 'lotion', which is fine by me because my dry skin loves it.

It leaves my skin feeling soft and nourished, and it doesn't leave a greasy residue. Plus the packaging is gorgeous and I've seen the 350ml full-sized bottle priced for as little as $15, so it's good value and it's on the wishlist. Purchase? Yes.


Alpha-H Triple Action Cleanser with Thyme

If you read this blog, you'll know I'm a sucker for Alpha-H products (it's my all-time favourite skincare brand), but I haven't had the best of luck with Alpha-H cleansers and this one didn't float my boat either. I've reviewed it here.

I didn't like it to start with, but it did grow on me over time and I've been using it for a morning cleanse because it doesn't remove makeup well enough to be used at night. Plus it's too gentle for me and it doesn't give me that clean, fresh feeling that I look for in a cleanser, but I think it would be great if you have really sensitive skin. Repurchase? No.

Evelyn Iona Natural & Organic Concealer in Flawless

This is another Project Pan product so I won't say too much here, other than that I really like it because it's creamy (great for dry skin and fine lines) and the coverage is reasonable, plus it doesn't slip or crease if you set it with a powder. I've reviewed it here.

I received two of these in sub boxes so I was happy to finish one via Project Pan, and I'll save the other for a time when I'm less sleep-deprived because I need a touch more coverage these days and this doesn't give quite enough. Purchase? Maybe.


Phytocare Papaya Pawpaw Ointment (Lip Applicator)

Full review here. I'm not big on paw paw ointments and this one is no better or worse than any other I've tried. I don't use them on my lips because I find them too slippery/slimy for that, and while they do help with dry skin, flaky skin, I have so many other products I prefer that address those issues.

So I'm not a good test-subject for comparing paw paw ointments because they don't rock my socks, but this worked well as a foot balm for my dry tootsies so it was one of those products received from a sub box that was always going to get used. Purchase? No.

Elizabeth Arden Pro Triple Action Protector

Another Project Pan empty for the month! I really do need to do that full PP update, so I'll try to get that started today. Briefly, this was a product from The Parcel and I liked it, but feel that it's overpriced because it doesn't perform any of its stated functions better than other products I own that are cheaper and do the same thing. Purchase? No.

In sum

A mixed bag of empties this month, and definitely a good month for Project Pan! My favourites are the MOR lotion and L'Oreal microdermabrasion product, and I do love the serum from Elemental Herbology but just can't stand the packaging.

What have you finished this month? Let me know if you've knocked off any favourites : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.