Sachet city: samples used in May 2015

/
0 Comments

It feels like ages since I've done a sachet city post, and I had so many sachets lying around that I've divided them in two. I'll get through one bundle this month and save the other lot for next month.

A few of the items you may have seen before but most are new: I was especially interested to try the Philosophy product because I've seen it marketed everywhere.


Transformulas Eye Lifting Gel and FaceContour & Tightening Créme 

These sachets came in April's Violet Box. They're tiny so it's a bit hard to give a firm view when there's so little product to sample, but I think it's enough at least for me to know that I don't like these products.

The eye gel is ok and feels quite rich/velvety for a gel, but it doesn't seem to hydrate or nourish and the skin around my eyes didn't like it. I had to add another eye product on top so that my eyes felt ok.

As for the face lotion, my skin really didn't like this one: it's quite greasy and doesn't absorb well (I had to rub at it to get it to soak in), plus it has a weird chemical smell and has a slight cooling/stinging effect. I wouldn't be surprised if it had alcohol in it. On top of that, it doesn't moisturise well and it's drying and uncomfortable on my skin. Indeed I hated the feel of it so much that I had to wash it off after half an hour. Not a fan.


Sunday Riley Good Genes Treatment

The description for this product says: this daily transforming face treatment and mask is formulated with high grade lactic acid, lemongrass and licorice to exfoliate and plump the look of fine lines, to reveal a brighter, smoother and more refined complexion. Long term use can help to restore the appearance of damaged and uneven skin tone, reduce the visible depth of lines and wrinkles and increase skin's firmness and elasticity.

You can use it as a daily serum after cleansing and before moisturising; for an intensive radiance boosting treatment, use daily for five days. For an instant radiant boost, mix with Ceramic Slip Cleanser to make a mask and leave on the skin for 10-20 minutes.

I really like this. I would love an opportunity to try it with the cleanser for the mask combo, so I might need to speak to Mecca about that ; ) It's brightening and seriously wakes up your face. I definitely think it's worth exploring more so I'll be on the look-out for another sample.

Diptyque Créme Riche Body Butter

This is a lovely body cream but OMG it costs $116! Paying that much for face care is one thing, but for body care?! My golly. I really need to stop acquiring samples from Mecca - all that happens is I wind up with things I could never afford and would never buy!

Still, it's lovely to be able to trial something this fancy, and also to be able to say that this is nice enough, but not $116 nice enough. Stick to sampling this in-store I reckon ; )


Kate Somerville Somerville360 Tanning Towelettes

These are apparently designed to give an even tan without streaks. I wasn't sure I'd like the sample because I'm more of a cream kind of lass and this looked like it could be fiddley.

Turns out I do think the sample was a bit annoying to use: it's a huge cloth that you're meant to wipe all over your body in circular motions after exfoliating. I did that and, yes, I do look a bit browner, but I much prefer using a tanning cream. Also, my skin felt really dry after using it so I had to put some moisturiser on afterwards, which may have affected how well the tanner worked.

Kate Somerville Deep Tissue Repair Moisturiser

By golly this costs $172 for the full size so it would want to be good! Apparently it contains an exclusive blend of peptides and is designed to hydrate and smooth the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Unfortunately I really liked this (I say unfortunately due to the price tag) - my dry skin loved it and looked so hydrated afterwards. If it wasn't so expensive I'd be considering buying it. It's rare that I find a moisturiser that stands out from the pack but this one did.


ModelCo Exfoliating Cream

This was ok. I might have liked it better because it does contain a nice lot of scrubby material; however I have two scrubs I use that I'm in love with from Eslor and Indio, so I'm hard to please in that department.

ModelCo Instant Miracle Booster

This isn't a bad product. It definitely brightened my face and made it look fresher/younger, but I found that it didn't moisturise too well. I prefer similar products from Eslor, Clarins and Sukin for these purposes.


Korres Fig Showergel

This is apparently a soft moisturising shower gel that's ideal for everyday use. Wheat proteins form a protective film on the skin, maintaining its regular hydration level. Whether or not that's true, I don't like this product at all. It smells weird and doesn't foam well, and I don't get the sense that it cleans well. I'm sad about that - I thought I would love this one!

L'Occitane AMANDE Concentre De Lait Milk Concentrate Body Cream

Now this one I liked. I just wish there had have been more in the sachet - it wasn't quite enough for one application for me, maybe because it's quite thick and rich. I loved the smell and it felt smooth and velvety on, plus it was super hydrating without being greasy. This is one that I'll definitely consider buying once I run out of body cream.

Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar

This is apparently an antioxidant-packed moisturiser that helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles, skin discolouration, rough texture and dehydration. It's also meant to dramatically improve skin radiance and gently exfoliate, revealing smoother, healthier looking skin. I was expecting to love this because I've seen a lot of people rave about it, but I didn't think it was any better or worse than most moisturisers. Unlike the Kate Somerville moisturiser above, I've used cheaper moisturisers that fare just as well and this didn't stand out for me. It's fine, I just didn't think it was great.

In sum

I'm glad to have knocked off a few samples - they do seem to pile up so quickly. My favourites in the bunch are definitely the Kate Somerville and Sunday Riley creams, and I liked the L'Occitane body cream enough to try it again before deciding whether or not to put in on the wishlist.

I may well do another sachet post this month just to get through a few more : )




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.