Real Techniques starter set for eyes - review

/
0 Comments
 

I've recently reviewed the individual brushes in this set (links below) and thought I'd finish off with a post on the kit as a whole.

It's a handy little set but the stand-out for me with this kit is that only one of the brushes is useful for its intended purpose! If you read a few reviews of the set, you'll see that others have commented on this too.


The set includes (in order of my favourite brush to my least favourite one):
  • Accent brush: for precision detailing, highlighting and smudging
  • Deluxe crease brush: soft, oversized design for effortless contouring
  • Base shadow brush: applies a smooth, flawless foundation of colour
  • Fine liner brush: for precision application of liquid or cream eyeliner
  • Brow brush: distinctive shape easily defines eyebrows


The set also includes a case that can be turned into a stand (see above and below photos). I don't actually use the case because I store my brushes in a jar (plus it's quite cheap looking), but it may be useful for some.


I'll have a look at each brush in turn and I'll include links to my full reviews, just in case you're interested in any particular brush and want to learn more.

Note that each brush is made with hand-cut synthetic taklon bristles and aluminium handles, and is designed by Samantha Chapman, makeup artist. The full set retails for $45 AUD but I paid about $25, so do shop around before committing to the purchase.


Real Techniques Accent Brush

Full review here. This is my favourite brush in the set and the one I reach for most often. It's also the one brush in the set that's handy for the uses mentioned in its description - in particular precision detailing and smudging. 

As soon as I bought this, it became my go-to brush for the inner corners of my eyes and also for lining the upper lashline. I've also been known to use it in the crease, the outer v and to give definition to my brows. Since I have 'short' eyelids (my eyes are puffy), this also works to put colour on my eyelids, although that purpose mightn't work for everyone.

A great little brush.


Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush

This is my second favourite brush in the set and I use it every day. Full review here. It is however a crap crease brush because it's so wide and thick: I haven't seen any reviewer say that they've successfully used this in the crease.

That aside, it's a great brush and I mainly use it for applying base eyeshadow: no other brush I own gives a fine, even wash of colour like this one does - and in record time, due to its density and large size. Plus it's easy to fade out the colour with this brush so you're not left with any harsh lines, and it's good for smudging/smoking out lines if you're after a softer look, which I usually am.

Honestly, it's foolproof - which means a lot for those of us who are time-poor and can't spend ages blending their eyeshadows. I love this brush.


Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush

Full review here. If I use the Deluxe Crease Brush for applying base shadow, I use this Base Shadow Brush for the crease (ha).

This brush is too soft and isn't dense enough for applying base colour. What's good about this one though is that it has a wider side and a thinner one, and both sides are useful.

I use the thinner edge to diffuse shadow along my crease, and the thicker edge to smoke it upwards and outwards. Because this brush is fluffy, it doesn't apply colour with strong edges - so I don't need to blend as much and that makes me happy.

I also use this to soften any harsh lines and buff out the edges after I've applied my shadow, and also to manage patchy application, fill in any gaps and even things up (since I almost always apply my makeup unevenly to each eye and need something like this to fix that).


Real Techniques Fine Liner Brush

Full review here. I don't use this brush often, in part because I prefer the Accent Brush from this set for things you might use this one for, including highlighting the inner corners of my eyes and also smudging colour along the upper lashline.

As you may know, I don't like harsh lines around my eyes so I tend not to use liquid or gel eyeliners, meaning I can't comment on whether this brush is useful for applying those - but I've seen many reviewers say that this is a terrible brush for that purpose because it's too thick and you can't use it to create a fine line.

The issue with this brush, I think, is that it's too soft and flexible to be used for its intended purpose. And because it's so thin, there's little else it can be used for. I have used it to apply shadow along the lower waterline, but that's about it.


Real Techniques Brow Brush

This is the worst brush in the set and I only use it occasionally because it's there. Full review here.

It's quite a thick brush, meaning it's pretty useless for filling in your brows because you can't easily get in between the hairs and place colour where you want it. I've also tried using it for highlighting the browbone but it's too wide for that purpose as well.

Indeed, I've seen very few people say that this is a good brow brush: most reviewers say it's too big, and I completely agree with that.

I've used it to highlight the inner corners of my eyes (I just use the tip), but it's too fiddley for that purpose - again, because it's too big - and I've only used it for that when my preferred brush is due to be washed. Same goes for applying a line of colour to the crease (which I then blend/smoke out with a different brush).

Not a great brush. Hoh well.

In sum

I think this is a good-enough set and I'm glad to own it, although I'm also glad I didn't pay full price for it. Three of the brushes are great (the Accent, Deluxe Crease and Base Shadow brushes), but the other two are pretty useless and I wouldn't recommend them.

I think this is an ok starter set if you're new to makeup (and you can find it on special), but if you already know what brushes work for you, you might prefer to buy what you need individually.




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.