Fun new things to play with #3 2018: update with mini reviews

/
0 Comments

It's taken me almost three months to come back and update this post because there was a hold-up with the Stila liquid eyeshadow (which I only just reviewed this week), but I wanted to come back with mini reviews as promised so that's what we're doing today.

After that I do have another samples post that I need to update, although I likely won't get to that for another day or two because we have a big few days ahead.

Anyhoo! In no particular order...


Soap & Glory Flake Away Body Polish (RRP $4 AUD for 50ml)

Full review here. This scrub is fine but I don't love it and I personally wouldn't buy it again. It's a goopy product that has a strange texture: it's kind of like sticky, gluey pudding, and I don't like how it feels on the skin. I also don't like the smell: it smells like perfume to me, and not in a good way. 

While this does contain a reasonable amount of scrubby matter (which is good), it's not a huge amount and the grains are quite small - so this may not suit you if you prefer rougher scrubs. But at least the grains don't dissolve too quickly, and after use my skin does feel smoother and softer, so at least I can say that this product works and I don't regret purchasing it. Not a keeper for me though.


Korres Bergamot Pear Body Milk (RRP $3 AUD for 40ml or $24 AUD for 200ml)

Full review hereThis product is ok and I'm enjoying using it, it's just not that effective so I wouldn't go out and buy the full size.

It's a white cream that's on the thin side, and I love the scent of this product: I can definitely smell the bergamot and pear, and it's a scent that lingers gently on the skin.

One thing to note, though, is that it has a very sticky finish. Indeed, it's one of the tackiest finishes I've encountered in a while. It's also not the most hydrating cream I've used. Yes it's fine for my dry skin in the warmer months, but I can see myself struggling with it during winter when I need better hydration. I suspect that not all of it is absorbing (hence the tacky finish), which means it's not getting in there and delivering nourishment where I need it most. Not a repurchase for me.


A'kin Natural Deodorant (RRP $9.99 AUD for 150ml)

Full review here. This is a great natural deodorant and it's the first one I've found that works beautifully for me. 

Each evening after my shower, I spray three to four pumps under each arm and, believe it or not, the damn stuff works. Woot woot! I mean, not only were my old deodorants causing irritation on my underarms, but they weren't deodorising well like they used to either so my clothes have been on the nose earlier than they should be. Not anymore.

There's not much else I can say about this product other than that I love it: it stops me from getting stinky under the arms and I only need to apply it once every 24 hours. Plus it doesn't irritate my skin and it's not super expensive, so it's a winner in my books.


Lancome Advanced Genifique Youth Activating Concentrate (RRP $99 AUD for 30ml)

I love this stuff. I can see its effects as soon as I apply it, and it makes a difference to my skin within only seven days' use. Indeed, the difference is so marked that others have commented on my skin. That's saying something! I've reviewed it here.

Not only does it spread and absorb well, but it also has a brightening effect so it boosts radiance. On top of that, it plumps fine lines and wrinkles so it makes my skin look smoother, and it has an effect on how firm and toned my face feels too. 

This is one of the few serums I've given an HG tag. Unbeatable.


Omorovicza Intensive Hydra-Lifting Cream (RRP $257 AUD for 50ml)

This is apparently a rich and easily absorbed anti-ageing moisturiser that's formulated for everyday use. It should deliver instant lifting, visible plumping and prolonged, sustained firming - while resurfacing lines and wrinkles, and providing lasting hydration.

I think this was a really lovely cream. It was moisturising and it suited my dry skin beautifully without weighing it down, plus a little went a long way so I didn't get through the sample too quickly. Problem is, the damn thing retails for $257 AUD so it's not one I would buy. Still, it absorbed well and nourished my skin nicely: I really liked it.


Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash (RRP $40 AUD for 240ml)

Full review here. I liked this because it contained finely milled grains that weren't too smooth so they polished the skin effectively and there were plenty of them so they did the job well.

It worked nicely for my skin, sloughing off the dead stuff and leaving me with a smoother, fresher complexion, but it wasn't so harsh that it was irritating or left my face feeling raw.

What I also found was that my skin cleared up a little since I started using it, although it did leave my face feeling a bit dry sometimes so it wasn't something I would use every day.


Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye ($100 AUD for 15ml)

While I think this is an ok eye cream, it hasn't done anything amazing for me so I wouldn't buy it - especially considering how expensive it is. I've reviewed it here.

It's a gel/cream hybrid that's quite light in texture but it has a silicone-y feel and slip to it so I'm not surprised that it doesn't absorb properly into my skin. Indeed, my eyes always feel a little dry after use and I'm aware that they're not as hydrated as I would like throughout the day. They also feel a bit dry to the touch after I've used this, and I can feel the silicone on my skin after use. Not my favourite.


Intraceuticals Rejuvenate Gentle Cleanser (RRP $45 AUD for 120ml)

Full review here. This cleanser was ok but I didn't love it and I found it rather boring to use. Yes it was gentle so it didn't strip my skin, but I've used other gentle cleansers before that I actually enjoyed using so I wouldn't recommend this one.

Yes it worked ok on light makeup (not waterproof eye makeup) but I found it was better to use as my second cleanse because it didn't deal with grease well. And while I agree that it would suit sensitive skin as claimed, I think you can find better gentle cleansers in the chemist that cost less than this one does.


Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Eyeshadow in Kitten Karma (RRP $35 AUD)

This is a stunning product and I can see why so many people love these, although they don't stay put on my hooded eyes and I wouldn't buy more because of course I don't want glitter all over my face. Full review here.

As for effect, it's a lot prettier than I expected it to be. I'm not a glitter person, but something about this product is so gorgeous that I can see why people are obsessed with these. Yes the glitter is a little on the chunky side, but it looks so nice that I don't care. It's a great product for a night out or for a special event like a wedding.

What I find with this product is that although it sets nicely, not long after I start to get glitter fallout under my eyes and the fallout continues throughout the day - so it's not really wearable for me unless eg I'm going out for a short dinner and don't need it to last more than an hour or so. I guess what's happening is that my eye hood is causing the glitter to dislodge and shift, so I would be careful with these if you have hooded eyes.


BareMinerals Gen Nude Patent Lip Lacquer in Everything (RRP $27 AUD for 3.7ml)

This is a nice product and I'm enjoying using it, and while it's not my favourite because it's not hydrating enough for me personally, I do like it and I recommend the formula. I've reviewed it here.

What I like about this formula is that it stays on the lips very well, so it lasts better than the glosses I normally wear. I also like the high-shine finish, and while I don't want that all the time because it's super shiny and eye-catching, I do like it occasionally and for nights out. The product also has a smoothing and plumping effect, which is something I look for in my lip products because I'm 38 and prefer things that smooth out my lip lines.

The only thing I don't like about this formula is that it's not hydrating enough for me to wear on its own. Indeed, it's one of those formulas that sits on top of the lips, rather than sinking in and delivering nourishment, so while it's not drying and it should be fine for most people, for my dry lips, I need to lay down a balm first in order to keep my lips comfortable.

In sum

That's all from me! 

I'm glad that I've finally managed to update this post and I have another samples post to update with mini reviews shortly. I also have another round of larger samples and also sachets to introduce soon, so stay tuned for that if you're interested.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.