Lust Have It January 2015

/
0 Comments

Well this is the last month on my annual Lust Have It subscription and, after yet another very late box with sketchy communication from the company about the delay, I have to say I'm not sorry to let the subscription go.

While LHI has had some great boxes - particularly the more recent ones - I don't subscribe to beauty boxes because I need more beauty products (I really don't), but because of the excitement factor. Man do I get thrilled when I know I have a box coming - not only in the week when I'm expecting it to arrive, but also in the week before that. This is what makes boxes worth it for me.

What happens when your boxes are so late - three weeks into February in this case - is that you never get excited about your package, you just wonder when and if it will arrive. And by the time it does, you're more annoyed than anything else and past caring what's in there.

So this is why I'm not sad to see LHI go. It may be that I join up again in future if the company sorts itself out, but we'll see. Anyhoo.


An ok bunch of products, although I had to laugh at the Hello Fresh voucher (AGAIN?!) and the black eyeliner. That's at least six black eyeliners that we've received from LHI in the past year. Guys, I seriously don't need any more. My golly. Sub boxes should definitely think about the double-ups we're getting. That many black eyeliners in a short period is ridiculous - not only is it boring, but no one's going to get through them all before they expire.

I'm gonna pretend for now that I didn't see yet another DB product.


EXCEPT looks like the DB product is the 'bonus' full size one we were promised for the boxes being tardy. I don't think that was well-planned: any other product would have been better-received as a 'bonus'. Perchance the eyeliner, since we have so many of those anyway now and it fits the 'bonus' bill better ; )

As always I'll give you my initial thoughts on the contents now and then update this post if and when I use things.


Urban Skincare Co Infuse Body Balm (RRP $12.95 for 100ml; received 35ml sample)

Now here's a brand I'm happy to see again. We received a body cream from these guys a while back and I really loved it - so much so that I used the last voucher (and we've got another of those in this box) to buy a little set.

This balm is apparently hydrating and nourishing without leaving a greasy residue. It's enriched with vitamin c to help boost skin's immunity. Very glad to be trying something else from these guys.

UPDATE: Full review here. In short, I love this body cream and will definitely consider buying the full size once my spending ban lifts. It's wonderfully hydrating and nourishing without being greasy, and a little goes a long way. Smells divine too.


Marsk Certified Organic Eyeliner in Pitch Black (RRP $33.50; received full size)

Ach, the dreaded eyeliner ; ). I think the issue is also that I don't use black eyeliner that often anymore because I prefer a more natural line and that's best achieved with a soft brown. If we were going to get another eyeliner, at least we could have got another colour! I've seen a few people complain that they don't wear eyeliner, so they must be sick of seeing them too.

Still, it looks like a decent product and Marsk is a good brand, from my experience. This apparently won't slip off the eye, is made from organic ingredients and is cruelty free. Not sure that I'll use it, but it'll make a good present at least.

UPDATE: This isn't the best eyeliner I've used, but it's also not the worst. The problem is that it tends to rub off, so if you have puffy eyes like mine (or eg oily eyelids), it will end up everywhere. It fares better if you set it with a powder, but I'm far too lazy to use products that need extra work!

Designer Brands Chubby Lipstick Crayon in 411 Enchanted Rose (RRP $7.99; received full size)

Life's too short to be wearing DB lip products ; ). Call me a makeup snob (which I'm not really - I love so many budget products), but I draw the line here. Plus DB has turned up a lot recently in sub boxes and I've given the brand a crack again, only to be unimpressed.

I'm not going to open this and test it - that would be a waste. Hopefully I can find a home for it.

UDPATE: I've seen a few people say that they liked these, but mine went straight to the swap pile and it's long gone.


Marsk Mineral Eyeshadow in Vanilla Frosting (RRP $24.95 for 1.2g; received full size)

This was the sneak peek item for this month and we were able to pick between this colour and Mudcake (a deep brown). I chose this colour because I'll use it to mix in with primer as an illuminator if I don't actually use it as eyeshadow - which I mightn't, because like every other Marsk product I've tried, it's too glittery.

These shadows are apparently creamy and pigmented, easily blendable, 100% mineral based and cruelty free. I really like Marsk packaging too. Indeed, I like everything about Marsk products except the glitter overload!

UPDATE: Full review here. I've got this product on display on my dresser because it's pretty, but I won't be getting a hell of a lot of use from it. Not only do I dislike the glitter factor, it also transfers super easily so you wind up with it all over your face. I might use it on my collarbones and shoulders in summer, but that's about it.


Colour by TBN Neon Nail Polish in 172 Pash Tasch (RRP $2.50 for 15ml; received full size)

We got a nail polish from this brand in a recent Violet Box, and like that one, I'll likely give this one away. I have enough nail polish and would only open another one if it looked sensational, which this one doesn't.

Apparently it's salon-quality polish that's scratch-proof and quick to dry. I'd be surprised if all that was true - it's only got a 1.5 star rating (out of 5) on beautyheaven.com.au.

UPDATE: I gave this away without testing it. No one needs a polish that chips easily, and apparently this one does.


Beaubox Wonder Powder in Nearly Nude (RRP $20 for 6g; received full size)

Not sure if I'll use this - my skin is dry and very few mineral powders work on me without making me look ten years older. Plus it looks too pale. What I might do is swatch/review it, then send it to a better home.

It apparently reduces imperfections and gives your skin a luminous glow. Formulated with skin-compatible minerals, it's 'intuitively' designed to create a natural dimensional finish that allows your skin to look its best without overpowering it. It also has SPF15 sun protection and gives a silky matte finish.

You never know, I might be pleasantly surprised.


UPDATE: I swapped this for a different product via the FB LHI Swap group. I borrowed a friend's because she had opened hers and it was apparent straight away that not only was this powder far too drying for my skin, but predictably it was too pale and not a good match for my skintone. Because it was drying, it accentuated fine lines (and gave me new ones), making me look older. Not ideal!

Verdict

This is an ok box but I'm not particularly excited about the contents. I'll likely only keep and use the body balm and the eyeshadow - and even the eyeshadow won't be used for its designated purpose because of the glitter factor.

The RRP value of this box is over $90, so it would be worth the outlay if you were going to use most of the products.

Not a great box to finish off my LHI subscription, but not the worst one either.

Did you receive this box? Let me know what you think if so.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.