The Artful Dodger, Elsternwick - review

/
0 Comments

I realised (again) today that I'm writing far too many beauty reviews and not enough other content. This is a life blog after all. 

The trouble I think is that I've had preggers brain and, now, baby brain to contend with and I fell into a habit of writing beauty reviews because they feel easier to write. Posts on other things (including restaurant reviews) feel more difficult for me at the moment - probably because I haven't been doing them enough. But I do want to write more varied posts and, in any event, I'm on a beauty no buy and soon enough I'm going to run out of beauty products to review!

This post has been sitting in my drafts for ages, so it was definitely time to write it.


When I met him, Mex lived in Elsternwick and we used to go to Artful Dodger a lot. I would also sneak there for opening time at 7am on any day that I'd stayed at his apartment, so I could get my coffee fix and write while he slept. I've always been an early riser and he's a night owl. A match made in heaven really, since this means I don't have to see him that much ; ).


Dodgers has always done a great coffee. How I miss the days when I would go and sit on two coffees and write for at least a couple of hours. Then I went and had a baby...

Ha.


This is Mex's favourite and he often craves it - it's the breakfast Roti Wrap with scrambled egg, bacon, spinach, avocado and bush tomato relish ($15.50).

It's a decent-sized meal that's super tasty and interesting without being too complex. Plus it's easy to eat - something you often want on a Sunday morning. It's filling too. Using roti bread for this (rather than eg pita) is inspired and it makes the dish. I always take a massive bite of this (wife's rights) so I can confirm that it's smashing.


Oh my stars, even looking at this makes me want to go and order it. I pretty much get it every time we go to Dodgers - I just can't go past it. It is of course the Grilled Zucchini Salad, served with zucchini (obviously), pistachios, chicken, seeds, quinoa, fresh herbs and pomegranate, along with preserved lemon labneh.

Seriously, it's bloody amazing - possibly the most amazing salad I've ever eaten. And if you don't like salads, never fear: it's nicely complex and jam-packed with stuff, and doesn't feel particularly salady. Even Mex likes this one and he's not a salad man at all. I usually have to protect my meal from him.

I can't find a price for this online unfortunately, but from memory it's about $14.


These were breakfast tacos, ordered by Mex on another occasion. They involved corn tortillas, beans, egg, avocado, chorizo and pomegranate. He liked them but felt they were missing something and so ordered some of the relish that comes with the roti wrap to add some oomph (damn Mexicans and their obsession with sauces). He also said that there wasn't enough filling for all four tacos, so he probably wouldn't order them again. It's unusual that he hasn't loved a Dodgers meal so let's call this a one-off.

Again, I don't have a price for this but I'll try to remember to check next time we're there.

In sum

The food and coffee here are great and, importantly, consistent. I've never had a bad meal or coffee here. 

I like the outdoor seating area and wouldn't sit indoors unless the weather required it.

The service is generally pretty good, although it has been hit and miss on occasion, depending on which staff are there on the day and how busy the joint is.

Just writing this review has made me want to go back - it's been a while since we ventured down that way and it's definitely time. Man that salad...

Details

267 Glen Huntly Rd Elsternwick VIC 3185
+61 3 9523 5541

Monday to Sunday, 7:00am to 5:00pm

All day breakfast (7.00am to 4.00pm); lunch from midday

http://www.theartfuldodger.com.au/


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.