Oscar Cooper, Prahran - review

/
0 Comments

Oscar Cooper is one of those places that Mex and I had driven or walked past a thousand times and said, 'We should totally go there,' but never had.

Every time we went past it, the joint was pumping. There was often a queue for a table. I'd also looked it up online and seen some good ratings, so we had it on our list but I'd always delayed going there because my 'restaurant radar' wasn't satisfied and we had other options. 

Finally we bit the bullet, and I'm sorry to say that my radar was correct and we didn't have a great experience. 

Part of the problem for me was that there wasn't a lot for me to pick from the menu because I really hate eggs (yep, I'm one of those) and the breakfast menu is egg-heavy. Plus you can't build-your-own breakfast from a bunch of sides because no sides menu exists, and the menu expressly states that Oscar Cooper doesn't accept menu alterations. Hmph. 

We weren't off to a good start, and since I didn't like the only dish I could order (more on that below), we weren't off to a good finish either.


The coffee was fine, but not a stand-out. We both drink soy lattes with honey (yep, we're some of those), and often measure a place on how much honey we're given to mix with our coffee. We always ask for a decent amount, and all too many places give us about half a teaspoon each. Not enough. 

And the second dollop of honey wasn't enough when we asked for more, but the place was so busy that I settled with topping my coffee up with sugar because we couldn't be bothered getting the super-busy waiter's attention again.


Mex had the Oscar’s benedict, which involved potato rosti, smashed avocado, poached eggs and tangy hollandaise - and of the available extras, he chose to have it with the house cured salmon ($19).

The first thing he said when it came out was: 'It's too small'. I think he could have done with another slab of the potato to at least spread the toppings out a bit.

He said it was fine otherwise, but nothing special. He also felt it wasn't a good-value dish and wished we'd gone to our usual breakfast haunt, where he could have spent $14 on a massive breakfast burrito. He wouldn't order this again.


I ordered the smashed avocado with thyme-buttered chilli mushrooms and meredith goat’s cheese on multigrain ($16.50). It looks pretty impressive but I didn't like it at all unfortunately.

First, it wasn't that big and could have done with an extra slice of toast at least. Second, it wasn't good value and I've had similar dishes for $12 or $13 that have twice the amount of avocado (and two pieces of toast). Third, there was so much butter splashed everywhere, it was inedible. I grabbed four napkins and soaked up as much of the grease as I could, but even then it made me feel sick. I couldn't eat it.

Mex, who loves his butter and can handle richer foods than I can, couldn't eat it either. You can't tell from the photo, but the bread was so doused in butter that it was like a wet sponge. Erk.

Atmosphere & service

This place is loud and pumping, with indoor and outdoor tables that always seem full. If you're after a quiet meal, don't go here - at least during peak times.

The service was very efficient, particularly considering how busy the joint was, and the waiter was on top of the queue of people waiting for tables. We didn't have to wait long and he found a good place for us, so we had enough room to put our daughter beside us (she was in the car pod).

In sum

Overall Oscar Cooper was a disappointment for us, albeit a half-expected one. It didn't quite hit the mark and I think plenty of better options exist in and around the Prahran area. I also think the dishes are overpriced and the menu is limiting.

Details

160 Greville Street, Prahran
+ 61 3 9529 5670

http://www.oscarcooper.com.au/

Opening hours: Monday to Saturday 7am to 5pm; Sunday & Public Holidays 8am to 5pm

Available seven nights a week for private functions




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.