Violet Box July 2015

/
0 Comments

I was so sad to hear that this will be Violet Box's last box because the company is closing operations.

If you read this blog, you'll know I think Violet Box is easily the best subscription box service on the Australian market - taking into account customer service, timeliness of deliveries, management of issues and of course the boxes themselves - and it's a sad thing that this particular box has folded while other, lesser boxes are still up and running.

Anyhoo. Let's have a look at the box.


Please note that my photos for this post aren't great because it's been a tough week with my little girl and I haven't had time to do much else than look after her.

This means I haven't been able to take photos in the best light etc etc and I've rushed them, but I wanted to get this post up as soon as possible (the box was delivered yesterday), so I may go in and change the photos later on.


It's not a fantastic box unfortunately, and the only item I'm really excited about is the body scrub.

I do know that Violet Box has had issues with box products arriving on time and we've been expecting an eye cream for the past couple of months because it was a sneak peek item on Facebook, but unhappily it hasn't made its way into the last box. I'm sad about that because I need a new eye cream and I was hoping to avoid a purchase!


You can see from the products above that there's only one makeup item, so a few people won't be happy with that. I personally don't mind this because I have enough makeup, but I'm not excited to see Urban Skincare show up yet again because this must be something like the fifth time I've received products from those guys in a sub box, and I've used these two before.

Anyhoo. As always I'll do an unboxing and first impressions post now, then update this post once I've used everything and can comment properly on the contents.


Mr Bean Coconut Coffee Scrub (RRP $17.95 for 220g; received full size)

This apparently helps with rough/dry skin, stretchmarks and cellulite, and will also improve skintone and leave your skin feeling soft and smooth.

I'm not sure about the stretchmark/cellulite claim but I'm always up for something that can give my body a good scrub, plus I've just finished off a body scrub so I'm happy with this inclusion.

UPDATE: I absolutely love this scrub and it hit HG status from the first use. Full review here. It smells delicious and does a great job of exfoliation - plus I get a lift each time I use it. I'm not looking forward to finishing it because I'll have to buy another one!


Urban Skincare Co Resurrect Hair Wash and Recovery Conditioner (RRP $26.95 each for 500ml; received 35ml samples)

I've already been through a couple of these travel sized pairs. Full review here. Urban Skincare is an Australian brand and I was excited to see it in sub boxes the first couple of times (particularly because I loved the body creams we received), but I've now seen it too many times so the wow factor just isn't there.

On top of that, I've already got a few of these in stock because the hotel we stayed at in June had them in the rooms and we poached a few. Annoying!

Oh well, at least I can report that the conditioner is very good (my dry hair loves it), although I don't like the shampoo because it doesn't seem to clean well and I need to use it three times to make a dent in the build up on my hair.


Starlooks Lip Pencil in Peony (RRP $9.95; received full size)

What I'm loving about Starlooks lip products is that they're smaller sized items, so you're more likely to actually finish them! We received a lip gloss in last month's box and now this little lip pencil, and they're both smaller than average and I reckon that's a good thing. How often do you finish lip products? I'd love it if all lipsticks, for eg, were available in half-sizes.

Apparently these have a smooth, creamy and long-wear formula. I've looked up the shade Peony and happily it looks like something I might actually wear: a nude pinkish coral shade. I don't use lip pencils often because I'm lazy so I generally give them away if I receive them in sub boxes, but I may well keep this one.

UPDATE: I've been trialling this over the last week and I'll be writing a full review soon, so look out for it : ). Unlike most lip pencils I've used, this one isn't hard and drying - it's super soft and creamy. While I like the texture, it doesn't last well as other lip pencils so that's something to be aware of.


Etat Libre D'Orange in Immortal Ginger (RRP $199 for 100ml; received 1.5ml sample)

Most people aren't a fan of receiving perfume samples in sub boxes because you can usually pick them up for free over cosmetics counters and perfume is so personal - perhaps more so than any other beauty item - that you're unlikely to receive something in a sub box that you actually like.

I'd have to agree with that although I don't mind receiving the occasional one from an unknown brand, and I haven't heard of this brand so that's a plus. I've got the perfume on now and it's a bit heady for me but I don't hate it, so I'll use it for night but it's not something I would buy.

Tarocco Cleansing Body Wash in Sicilian Blood Orange (RRP $18 for 253ml; received 45ml sample)

This looks suspiciously like a body wash that would show up in a cheap hotel, so I'll have to get past that feeling when it comes to actually using it and keep an open mind.

It's apparently a purifying wash that's filled with hydrating benefits from the extracts of Italian olive oil and antioxidant benefits from the extracts of Sicilian red oranges.

I have a few body washes on the go at the moment, so I'll put this aside for now and wait until I've finished a couple off. Hopefully it smells amazeballs - it sounds like it might.

UPDATE: Full review here. This is nice enough, it's just not one I would buy because it doesn't feel special. Nevertheless, it cleans well and smells nice, and a little goes a long way.

In sum

Violet Box hasn't gone out with a bang for its last box, although I think they've done super well to get it out considering the issues they've obviously been having, and at least it's a box that contains products I'll actually use. Even the little lip pencil might get a workout because it's something I can throw in my handbag and use when I haven't packed a lipstick for the day and only have a clear gloss on hand.

I'm most excited about the coffee body scrub - let's hope it's not too messy to use. Last time I had a coffee body scrub, it left little black grains all over the shower that were difficult to remove. My husband hated it!

Bye Violet Box. I'll miss you : (




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.