Best in Beauty 2017: skincare

/
0 Comments
I've already done my yearly favourites posts for haircare and body care (see here and here respectively), and I'm back today to write my favourites for facial skincare. After that I'll do my 2017 makeup picks and then we're done!

This skincare post is the most difficult for me, I must say. Skincare remains my biggest love and I also try a lot more skincare each year than I do anything else for the simple reason that I get through more and I like to keep trying new things, unlike eg haircare where I tend to stick with what works. 

Do note that after looking at last year's list (see here), I've decided to stray from old favourites and instead post on things that I've discovered this year. I'm doing this to keep things interesting, but just so you're aware, products like Alpha-H's Liquid Gold and Ren's Flash Rinse 1 Minute Facial are still favourites for me (again, see last year's list) - it's just that I wanted to bring you some new finds this year. 

So without further ado...


Best cleansing oil: Bobbi Brown Soothing Cleansing Oil

It was a toss-up between this product and Oskia's Renaissance Cleansing Gel (reviewed here), but I went for this because I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did - whereas the Oskia product gets plenty of hype and you don't need to hear any more from me.

Full review here. It's hard to pinpoint why I love this so much, but it definitely blew most cleansing oils I've tried out of the park. It's soothing, hydrating and nourishing, and it just feels so nice on my skin. Indeed, I was sad when I recently finished my second bottle and I'm already missing it. 

There aren't many cleansing oils or balms that feel special to me because so many of them are decent enough, but this is definitely in the special category and I'm hoping I'll be able to buy it at some point next year. Sure it ain't cheap, but the large bottle would last me ages so I reckon I can justify the price-tag. It's just that good.


Best gentle cleanser: Simple Radiance Brightening Facial Wash

This product surprised me. I've reviewed it here.

It was given to me by my sister-in-law, and I didn't have any expectations for it because I haven't used much from Simple - nor have I heard anyone rave about this product - so I figured it would be ok but nothing to write home about. 

Turns out I love it. It's a gentle cleanser that smells divine and it sits somewhere between a gel and a cream. I would buy it for the scent alone: it's fresh, creamy and sweet. I've become rather addicted to it.

I use it in the evenings as my in-shower cleanser, and it leaves my skin cleaner and brighter without being irritating, plus it's lasted me ages so it's good value.

Only problem is, I can't find it anywhere to buy another one! Do let me know if you've seen it around because I'm desperate to use it again.


Best treatment cleanser: Alpha-H Liquid Gold Skin Renewal Wash

This is easily one of the best skincare products I discovered this year. Indeed, it went straight to the HG list almost from the first use. I've reviewed it here.

The texture is just gorgeous: it's liquid-y and silky, and it has the feel of an oil in cream form. It also feels nourishing and quenching when applied. 

I use mine in the mornings as my second cleanse. I leave it on for a few minutes to allow the glycolic and lactic acids it contains to do something for my skin, then add water before massaging it in and removing it with a damp face cloth.

After use my face looks brighter and fresher, and it feels nourished and resurfaced without feeling dry or irritated. Honestly, I love it. Now that I've found it, I can't imagine ever being without it.


Best toner: Darphin Refreshing Toner

I did consider including The Ordinary's Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution (reviewed here) on this list, but since I prefer my Alpha-H Liquid Gold (the winner in this category last year), I ended up going for this Darphin product because it was the nicest 'plain' toner I used in 2017. 

It's rare that I find a toner that really grabs me, since most of them pretty much do the same thing and they have to either be really good or really bad to leave an impression. This one did. I've reviewed it here.

It has a gorgeous, understated and interesting scent: I don't actually know what banana flower smells like, but I'm imagining that this is it. It's one of those soft, refreshing smells that adds to the experience of using the product.

Also, some toners can dry me out or leave my skin feeling overly tight: this one doesn't. It treads the right balance between being effective while still being gentle, so I imagine it would work well for skin that's even more sensitive/dry than mine. Lovely.


Best all-in-one: Chulala Cleansing Lotion

I enjoyed this product so much that I didn't want to leave it out of my 2017 favourites, so I created a category for it because it really is an all-in-one that removes makeup, cleanses the skin and also tones in one hit. I've reviewed it here.

It's a cleanser that looks and feels like water and you apply it to a cotton pad and wipe it over your face to remove grime. It does remove makeup but I prefer to use it as a skin cleanser because I reckon it's too nice to use for gunk removal.

I love that it has a brightening, toning effect - plus it smells nice and it's just generally nice to use. I tend to use it in the evenings, so I'll remove my makeup with something else and then go in with this, then I'll often apply a face mask before I shower. 

If we weren't so broke I'd be buying a couple of these in Maslow & Co's closing-down sale, but pennies are tight at the moment so I've had to let it slide. Boo foo boo.


Best serum: Lancôme Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Concentrate

I love this stuff. My skin hasn't looked this good for ages, and I know this product is responsible because it's the only thing I've changed and I can see its effects as soon as I apply it. Indeed, the difference is so marked that others have commented on my skin. That's saying something! I've reviewed it here.

It's a fluid serum that comes in a beautiful, weighty bottle: the product just feels special, but better still, the results it offers are special too. Not only does it spread and absorb well, but it also has a brightening effect so it boosts radiance. On top of that, it plumps fine lines and wrinkles so it makes my skin look smoother, and it has an effect on how firm and toned my face feels too. 

This is one of the few serums I've given an HG tag, and I don't ever want to finish my bottle. Unbeatable.


Best eye cream: Antipodes Kiwi Seed Oil Eye Cream

I had a hard time choosing between this one and the Nivea eye cream I recently finished (reviewed here) because they're both great and you can pick them up quite cheaply if you buy them at one of the big pharmacy's half-price sales. I've reviewed this Antipodes one here.

I like it because it's hydrating enough for my dry, 37yo eyes but it's not so heavy that it weighs my skin down so it's great for both day and night use.

It applies and absorbs well, and because it comes in a huge 30ml tub, it lasts for ages too. Sure it's not the most amazing eye cream on the market, but I really don't think you can beat it for the price (it cost about $23 AUD on special). I got around six months' use out of mine so I had to mention it here for value alone.


Best day cream: Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream

This is a great cream. It doesn't perform backflips and it's not an HG product, but it's a great, everyday moisturiser for my dry skin and I'm really enjoying it. I've reviewed it here.

What I love about this is that it absorbs beautifully and I can immediately feel it hydrating my dry skin whenever I apply it. Doesn't matter how dry my skin feels or how dehydrated it is, this product targets any discomfort without weighing my skin down or feeling too greasy. Yes it does leave a slight residue, but I don't mind that and it's certainly not the worst after-feel I've come across.

It also has a smoothing effect (so ticks to the name) and the full size isn't badly priced because you get a whopping 100ml. A good, basic moisturiser that should suit most skin types. This is a definite repurchase for me so I had to include it on this list.


Antipodes Avocado Pear Nourishing Night Cream

Full review here. This stuff is gorgeous. I've been using it as my night cream for a few months now and I look forward to applying it each evening because it smells so nice, feels so wonderfully hydrating and cooling when applied, and also keeps my dry skin feeling comfortable overnight.

It's not super heavy but it is quite thick and rich so it won't be for everyone, but it's the perfect night cream for my skin and I absolutely recommend it for anyone who struggles with dryness or dehydration.

While I wouldn't say that it's done anything amazing for my skin (eg it hasn't targeted age spots or fine lines), it has helped with the overall condition of my skin and it was a good one to see me through the cooler months. Love.


Best treatment cream: La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 Soothing Repairing Balm

Full review here. This is a brilliant product and I'm so glad I found it. It's a white cream and yes it's a little thick and emollient, but it still spreads and absorbs well - while still leaving a slight, protective barrier on the skin.

I've been using this on days when my skin feels extra dry or after I've done a chemical peel or exfoliant, and I believe that it's responsible for keeping my skin in balance and soothing any potential irritation. I was also sure the other day that my face was about to peel after I used a strong acid for the first time, but applying this afterwards performed some witchery so the peeling never came.

Honestly, this might just be my favourite skincare find of the year - so if there's one item to take away from this post, it's this one - not only because it's a serious saviour for dry or sensitised skin, but because the full size retails for a measley $16 AUD. My golly. An instant staple.


Best spot treatment: The Ordinary Salicylic Acid Solution 2%

Full review here. This is a great little product that does exactly what it says it will do: target breakouts. I bought it as a spot treatment because, even though my skin is dry, I do get the occasional blemish and I also always have little bumps of the black and white variety along my chin that never seem to go away.

I've used this over large, angry spots and it's dried them out and made them vanish within a few days, and I've also tried it all over the face for general clarity. Of course, what happened when I used it everywhere was that it brought all the underlying gunk up to the surface so I broke out, but after that the spots stopped appearing.

I find that it works best for angry blemishes and whiteheads, but it hasn't done much for my blackheads. These days I run this along my chin every morning and evening, and it's helped keep that area clearer than it usually is. Plus it cost me less than nine bucks. Can't beat that!


Best mask and exfoliant: Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask

I've tried a few great masks and exfoliants this year, but I wanted to mention this one because it performs both steps in one. Full review here

It works to exfoliate your skin on three levels: it contains AHA, pumpkin enzymes and also little crystals (for a manual exfoliation). I use mine perhaps once a week or even once a fortnight, and it does an amazing job of resurfacing my skin.

After use my face always looks brighter and feels smoother for days afterwards, so it's a good one to use before a big event because it makes my makeup go on more smoothly and look better. It's not for the fainthearted, but it is excellent.

In sum

There we have it - my top twelve skincare picks for 2017!

This has been the most difficult post in my 2017 Best in Beauty series so far because I had to narrow things down from over twenty products, but I'm pleased with my final list and I love everything on here.

Do let me know in the comments what your favourite skincare picks are for this year: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.