Skincare inventory: December 2017

/
0 Comments

I hadn't planned on doing a skincare inventory, but since I've just announced that I'm going on a skincare spending ban for six months (I've already done one month), I think it's a good idea.

If you're interested, my last makeup inventory is here and I'm really pleased with how I managed to get my numbers down in 2017 without bringing in too many new products, so I reckon that doing a skincare inventory will help me achieve the same thing.

So without further ado, let's see the damage...


Makeup remover

I have one opened travel-size, two unopened full-sizes and one unopened mini, so four in total. 

I'm not too stressed about this category because I use makeup remover every day and I've almost finished the one I'm using, but I also don't love makeup remover (I tend to buy whatever's on special) so I'd prefer to just have one and then replace it whenever I finish it.

Cleansing oils/balms

I have one open full-size, one open travel-size and one unopened mini: three in total. Cleansing balm is something I love so I don't mind having a few and this certainly isn't my worst category.

Mind you, I know that there's one cleansing balm in the kits (see below) so it would be good to get through a couple - let's make my goal here two.


Cleanser

This is all other cleansers aside from oils and balms, and this is one of my bad categories. I have two open full-sizes and one open travel-size, plus three unopened full-sizes and two unopened travel-sizes. That's eight cleansers in total, which is too many.

Let's make my goal here four. I do like to have a few options to choose from but I certainly don't need as many as I have. At least some of them are unopened.

Exfoliants

This category isn't too bad because I tend to favour chemical exfoliants over physical ones, although there's one non-physical exfoliant that I'm including here because I don't know where else to put it.

At the moment I have one open travel-size and one open full-size, plus one unopened full-size and one unopened travel-size. That makes four in total. Two's my goal here.


Toner

For toners, I'm not only including standard toners but also my 'treatment' ones (eg my glycolic toners from The Ordinary and Alpha-H). So I have two open full-sizes, two unopened full-sizes and one unopened travel-size. That's five in total.

I'm not too concerned about this category because the two toners I'm currently using don't have much product left in them, but I also know that there's a toner in my skincare kits so I have some work to do here. I'm aiming for two in this category.

Acids/treatments

A lot of the products in this category are from The Ordinary and I wanted to make a separate heading for them because they don't really fit into any other category.

At the moment I have two open full-sizes and four unopened full-sizes, so that's six in total. These are going to be hard to get through because you don't use most of them that often, but let's aim to have only three by June.


Serums

I have two open full-sizes, three unopened full-sizes, two unopened travel-sizes and one mini, so that's eight in total.

This is another category that's blown up this year and I'd like to get my amount down to three.

Eye cream

I have three open full-sizes and I suppose that's not too bad so I'm not worried about this category. Still, I can't buy any more for now because two of the ones I'm using are 30ml in size (so they'll last forever) and the other one is a serum (it's 15ml) so I only use a tiny bit each time.

Let's keep my goal at three, meaning I'm ok here but I can't buy any more for now - especially because there are some eye creams in my skincare kits.


Day cream

I have one open full-size, two unopened full-sizes, two unopened travel-sizes and two unopened minis: that's seven in total.

That's far too many. I only really need one day cream because I just want something that hydrates and seals in my serum, so I have plenty of work to do here.

Night cream

I only have one open full-size so I'm fine in this category, and indeed I've almost finished that so what I'll likely do is move over some of the day creams to this category.

I don't need a lot of night cream because I do use an overnight cream later in the evening, so I'm happy to use whatever after my shower and then go in with the heavy stuff before bed.


Overnight cream

I have two open full-sizes and I'm ok with that because one of them's more hydrating and one of them is more of a treatment. So let's leave this category as is.

Oils

In this category I have one open full-size, one unopened full-size and four unopened minis. That makes six in total, although the four minis will vanish pretty quickly so I'm not too concerned about this category.

Let's aim for no more than two.


Masks

This is my worst category and I've got so much work to do here that I might end up sending a few of these into Project Pan 2018.

At the moment I have four open full-sizes, three open travel-sizes, four unopened full-sizes and two unopened travel-sizes. That's thirteen in total. Yikes. How am I going to get through them all?

I'm aiming for four here, because I do like to have a few different ones that target different things.

Skincare kits 

I have four unopened kits at the moment and although I do have a fifth one that's been counted above, I've decided to leave these kits in their own category for the simple reason that two of them will be given to me over Christmas and I don't know what's in them yet!

As 2018 progresses and I start to open these, whatever's in them will be counted in other categories and we'll see some fluctuations in numbers over the next six months.

I definitely need to stop buying kits for the moment. Period.


Skincare tally 2017

I've counted everything up and I have seventy-four skincare items in total. Yes many of these are travel-sizes and minis, but it's still too many and I'd like to cut that down to less than fifty by June 2018.

I reckon I can do that but the skincare kits will be the sting in the tail because once I open those, I'll suddenly have more products to add into the other categories - but I'll try not to think about that too much now and just work on finishing whatever I have open!


In sum

I'm glad I decided to do this post, although of course it's always a little daunting to break things down like this and see exactly how much crap you have.

Look, at least a good deal of the skincare I own (surely at least half) is stuff that's not full-sized, so I know I'll be able to cycle through at least some of my products quite quickly.

What I'll do is update you perhaps at the end of February and then again at the end of April, so you can see how my numbers are changing every couple of months. Then once I've done my six-month no buy, we can work out whether I need to continue it or whether I can start replacing things.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.