December 2017 empties #1

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my first empties post for the month!  

While normally I would have done one and perhaps even two empties posts by this stage of the month, December has been so crazy that I'm super far behind and I'm only getting to the first one now. Oops! Hoh well.

Let's have a look.


Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist

Full review here. This is a beautiful product, and while I do think there's something special and extra about it that places it above other facial mists I've tried, I'm not convinced that it's something I need to spend my money on.

It feels soothing, hydrating and refreshing when applied, but even better, I reckon it does something to my skin that allows my serum and moisturiser to do a better job. Yes this mist hydrates, but it almost feels as though it opens my pores a little - and not in a bad way. In a way that helps my other products to penetrate. I suppose I could maybe justify it by calling it a toner and essence in one... Repurchase? Maybe.

Omorovicza Balancing Moisturiser

This wound up being my favourite item in the Omorovicza set I bought, which surprised me because it's designed for oily/combination skin (I'm dry) so in theory it's not for me but I did really like it. I've reviewed it here.

It's a lightweight, white cream and it has a cooling effect on the skin. It's one of those products that's refreshing to use and I enjoyed the process of applying it to my face. Indeed, I looked forward to it. It was also hydrating enough for day-use (for me) and it plumped up my skin nicely so that's another plus. Still, it's expensive at $130 AUD for the full-size, so it's not one I would buy. Repurchase? No.


Nivea Sun Protect & Moisture Moisturising Sunscreen Lotion 

I really enjoyed this. Although it was a little greasy and it had a greasy finish, it was also very thin, lightweight and hydrating - my dry skin loved it.

It's hard to describe why I preferred it over other sunscreens I've tried, but it just felt soothing, nourishing and cooling when applied and it didn't weigh my face down. It didn't clog my pores either. It hasn't replaced my HG Mecca To Save Face, but it's a lot cheaper (especially if you find it on special) so I can use it every day and save the Mecca one for special occasions. Purchase? Already have.

Goldwell Kerasilk Repower Volume Shampoo 

I don't have much to say about this product because it's so hard to test a shampoo or conditioner without its matching pair, or at least that's how I feel. What I will say about it, though, is that at least it washed my hair well. 

I don't know what happened this year, but for some reason it's been the year for bad shampoos. I've used so many that haven't cleaned my hair well, but this one did so I was happy enough to use it. That's all I noticed about using, it though - and I mightn't notice if it added volume because I have enough frizzy, boofy volume as it is ; ) Purchase? No.


The Jojoba Company, 100% Natural Australian Jojoba

Full review here. This wasn't a bad oil and I have used it before, it's just that I remember liking it a lot more the first time around.

Yes it hydrated and nourished my skin and yes it wasn't a super greasy oil, but it just didn't grab me and I've used plenty of oils I prefer. I guess the main reason why I didn't love it was that it didn't do anything spectacular for my skin, and I'm currently using an oil from The Ordinary that cost less and feels like it hydrates better than this one did, so I guess this one paled by comparison. Purchase? No.

Bobbi Brown Soothing Cleansing Oil

I'm obsessed with this cleanser and it made my 2017 favourites (see here) so that should tell you something. It's definitely the best cleansing oil I used this year and I'm sad to see this second sample bottle go. I've reviewed it here.

It felt so hydrating and nourishing on my dry skin so it was perfect to whack on in the morning while I got the kids organised, before going back later and completing the cleansing process. It was also great for makeup removal and I just enjoyed putting it on my face. I'll miss it. Purchase? Yes.


Clarins Radiance Plus Golden Glow Booster

Full review here. This is such a nifty little product and I'm so glad I found it. I've always had trouble finding a self-tanner for my face that fits nicely into my skincare routine, but this one did and I'm so sad I've finished it.

This bottle contains concentrated droplets of self-tanner that you add to your usual skincare routine (eg you mix a few drops in with your serum or moisturiser) so you can turn any product you own into a self-tanner for the face. Better yet, this little 15ml bottle lasted for something like 18 months, so it was a worthwhile investment and I'll definitely be sourcing another one as soon as I can. Repurchase? Yes.

Jurlique Rose Hand Cream

I was expecting to love this because Jurlique is a well-loved brand and I've wanted to try more from the range for ages, but unfortunately this hand cream just wasn't for me. I've reviewed it here.

I couldn't handle the strong, overpowering rose scent (it really hit the nose, and not in a good way) and the cream itself didn't hydrate my hands very well, plus it left behind a greasy residue that I didn't like. In the end I used up the second half of the tube as a foot cream because I couldn't bear to suffer it any longer - plus using it on my feet meant that I didn't have to smell it as much after application. Purchase? No.


Lancôme Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Concentrate

I absolutely love this product and it's an HG serum for me. Indeed, this also made my 2017 favourites list because it's the nicest serum I tried this year. I've reviewed it here.

What I love about it is that it's one of the few products I've used that generally meets all its claims, so it brightens and boosts radiance, firms and tones the skin, and it has an effect on elasticity too.

It just makes my face look younger and healthier (to the point that other people notice the difference) and it's certainly one I would consider buying once I'm through the back-log of serums in my stores. Purchase? Yes.

Chantecaille Rice and Geranium Foaming Cleanser

Full review here. In theory this is a lovely cleanser that foams like crazy and you need such a tiny amount that you could almost - I said almost! - justify dropping $93 AUD for the full size, since it should last three times as long as other cleansers.

However it has a high pH (between 8 and 9, and my pH strips tell me closer to 9), and I could tell as soon as I used it that it stripped my skin so I would be careful of this product: it's not gentle as claimed and I don't think it's the sort of cleanser that's kind to your skin. I could only use it once a week, otherwise I risked drying out my already-dry skin. Purchase? No.


L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream

Full review here. It was so nice to return to this hand cream because for some reason 2017 has also been a really dud year for hand creams for me: I received or was sent some bad ones and I also bought a bad one or two.

Apparently one of these L'Occitane creams is sold every three seconds, and I do see why it's so popular: it works, it isn't that expensive, and it doesn't leave a horrendous residue on the hands. My dry skin has been happier ever since I reintroduced this product so I might have to buy myself another one after I finish my second sample. Purchase? Yes.

Nivea Cellular Anti-age Skin Rejuvenation Eye Cream

This is an excellent product and it almost made my 2017 favourites list, but an Antipodes eye cream just beat it to the number one spot. I've reviewed it here.

It doesn't cost much and it's readily available at the supermarket or chemist, plus a little goes a long way so my tube ended up lasting me longer than most eye creams. I loved how hydrating it was on my dry, 37yo skin, and it was light enough for day use (so it sat well under makeup) while still being nourishing enough to use at night. Purchase? Yes.

In sum

That's all from me!

I hope you enjoyed this little empties post, and that you're surviving the festive season thus far.

I'm aiming to have another empties post done before month's end, although I'm behind with my posting and have a lot to get through over the next week so we'll see.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.