Sachet city: samples used in October 2015 #2

/
0 Comments

I have a facial treatment at Mecca today, following which I'll have my $50 redeemable deposit to spend on product. The treatment is a Dr Dennis Gross event - a brand I hadn't previously heard of - and I'll need to pick something from its range.

Over the last couple of weeks I've tested a few products from Dr Dennis Gross and also picked up the samples reviewed here, so I could work out what I wanted to spend my money on. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything in this bunch that I would buy, so it looks like I'll be choosing the self-tanning glow pads, since I don't have a facial tanner at the moment and the pads have had some brilliant reviews.

Let's have a look.


Dr Dennis Gross Skincare Triple C Peptide Firming Serum

This one's a brightening and strengthening serum that works to fight the look of ageing. It's beautifully hydrating and sinks in well, leaving my face looking nourished and brighter. It's an oil that's meant to address dull, tired-looking skin, as well as plump wrinkles - and I do think it does those things. My issue with it is the $95 price tag, and I've used cheaper pharmacy face oils that achieve the same goals, so this one's a pass for me.

Dr Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Moisturiser

This is apparently a triple correction anti-ageing moisturiser that aims to visibly improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles at the surface level and beyond.

I did really like this - it's very hydrating and plumps the skin nicely - but it wasn't a stand-out for me. Plus it costs $106, and I've tried better creams that cost less than this does, so I wouldn't buy it based on the price tag alone. Having said this, it is a beautiful cream and my dry skin loved it, so I certainly wouldn't knock back the chance to try it again.

Dr Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Eye Cream

This contains ferulic acid and retinol, and it's meant to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, slackened skin and uneven texture, leaving your skin hydrated, smoothed, lifted and protected.

This feels very rich and you think it will be hydrating, but it didn't absorb well on my skin and seemed to sit over the eye. This was really apparent when I applied this cream to one eye and the Origins cream (below) to the other one: the Origins product sunk in but this didn't, leaving my eye area looking dull and feeling coated. 

Plus I didn't see any difference in my skin after using it: I was expecting it to look brighter and more awake, but it didn't. I also question how hydrating it is, since it didn't plump up fine lines or leave my skin feeling nourished. Not for me.



Dr Dennis Gross Skincare CC Cream in Medium

This is meant to unify skintone while providing coverage, hydration and SPF protection. I did quite like this: it's nicely hydrating and sheer, so it leaves a natural, dewy finish that doesn't make it look like you're wearing makeup.

The issue I had with it is that I needed to use the whole sample pot to get the coverage I wanted (and I don't want a lot of coverage), so I can see myself going through the $53 tube of this all too quickly, meaning it wouldn't be good value - at least for me. If you're after something that provides barely there coverage, this might be for you.

Dr Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Glow Moisture

I'm glad I tried this because it was the product I thought I was most likely to want to buy. It's a lotion that's designed to hydrate and also deliver a bronzed glow to the skin.

This product has some really bad reviews online, and I can see why people don't like it. It does add a light glow to the skin - which built over the few days I used the sample - but it was really drying on the skin and made my face look dull. If I applied it as an overnight treatment (so after my serum and moisturiser), it didn't feel as drying, but it still made my skin look dull. Not for me.


Origins Dr Andrew Weil Mega Bright Eye Cream

I've used a sample of this product before and I remember quite liking it, so I was happy to try it again. It's a lovely eye cream and it performed better than the eye cream above, but I'm not sold on it. 

It feels velvety on the skin and it's quite thick and absorbs well, but I've tried some better eye creams recently so it didn't stand out. It's more affordable than many, however (it costs $55), so don't discount it - especially if you can pick it up on special. I can imagine using this one for day and a different eye cream for night.

Sunday Riley Good Genes Treatment

I've used this before and remember liking it, so I was happy to try it again. It's apparently formulated with high grade lactic acid, lemongrass and licorice to exfoliate and plump the look of fine lines, to reveal a brighter, smoother and more refined complexion. Long term use can help to restore the appearance of damaged and uneven skintone, reduce the visible depth of lines and wrinkles and increase skin's firmness and elasticity.

I use it as a serum (you can also use it as a mask) and really love the way my skin looks after application: younger and less lined. Plus it has an exfoliating/resurfacing action that's gentle while still being effective, so my skin looks brighter and more refined.

It's on the wishlist!

In sum

The Sunday Riley treatment is definitely my favourite from this bunch. I've just seen the $142 price tag and had a good cry over that, so I'm not sure whether I'll ever buy it because I'm not prepared to pay that much for a single item, no matter how much I love it. It's nice to dream though!

While I wasn't sold on any of the items from Dr Dennis Gross, at least I now know what not to spend my $50 on : )




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.