Most disappointing products of 2016

/
0 Comments
While I give quite a few products 'disappointing' tags throughout the year, when it comes to the yearly round-up of products I don't like, I only pick out the worst of the worst - just so you know which items that have bothered me more than all others.

Although I don't like being negative on this blog, I also don't want people to waste money on bad products so that's why I think it's helpful to let you know when I've found stuff that really hasn't hit the mark - particularly when it's got a hefty price-tag to boot.

Before we get stuck into this post, let me give the usual disclaimer: just because I don't like these products, this doesn't mean that they're bad products overall so if you love anything in this list, all that means is that it works for you where it hasn't worked for me. Lucky you!

But enough preamble. Here are my most disappointing products of 2016:


Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illuminiser

Full review here. I was expecting to love this product because it's had some great reviews, but turns out I don't - and I'm not the only one.

My issue with it is that it's too reflective so it's hard to get a natural look from it, and it's so reflective that I can't mix it in with my foundation (as I normally would a product like this) or I'll risk looking like the Tin Man. It's also harder to work with than other liquid illuminators I've used because it has a weird, mousse-like consistency and it dries down so you need to move fast or you won't be able to blend it out. Just not my kind of product.


Pixi Glow Mist

I thought I would love this to pieces because it's a firm favourite in the beauty community and it's meant to be great for dry skin since it aims to hydrate and add a nice glow. I've reviewed it here.

Unfortunately all this did for me was turn me into a complete grease-ball. Honestly, it was so oily that I couldn't find any use for it on the face and I resorted to using it on my body, just to get through the damn bottle. Maybe I got a bung one, but this certainly didn't give me a nice glow - it drowned me in oil and lifted/dissolved my makeup. Erk.


Soap & Glory The Righteous Butter

Full review here. This is another product that's been hyped up to the moon and back but unfortunately it didn't work for me at all. Ach, don't you hate that?!

Why didn't I like it? I don't like the fabled scent (don't shoot me) and the product itself just doesn't want to absorb into my skin, so it streaks and leaves me covered with a sticky layer of gunk that doesn't deliver hydration where I need it. Indeed, every time I used this my skin felt so dry afterwards that I would have to go back in with another product. Just not my cup of tea.


Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser SPF 20 in Sand

Another product that has received so much love in the beauty community but that just doesn't work for me. Foo. Extra foo because it ain't cheap so I wasted good money on it. I've reviewed it here.

My biggest issue with the product is that it's too sheer. Now I do like a light base, but this one is too light - to the point that it's not worth wearing - and even though the colour is more intense when I build it, somehow this doesn't translate to the product covering imperfections better or evening out my complexion. It's almost as though this product 'dyes' the skin, as opposed to making things like age spots less noticeable, which is why the coverage isn't good enough for me. I've heard the 'oil free' version has better coverage so perhaps I would like that more. I'm not game to find out!


Nars Duo Eyeshadow in Isolde

I know, I know - don't hate me. But I just can't see the hype around Nars eyeshadows, and I'm not the only one. Many of us feel that they're way over-hyped and don't think much of the formula at all, so don't go out and buy one before giving it a good test-run on the eyes. I've reviewed this one here.

Isolde has made the list ahead of others I own because it's extra bad: it swatches well when you use your fingers but it just doesn't want to show up on my eyes, plus it reeks of a chemical alcohol smell so I find it really off-putting to use. Such a shame because the colours are gorgeous, but it's definitely the worst of the Nars shadows I own and I don't recommend it.


Nars Audacious Mascara in Black Moon

Full review here. While we're on the Nars topic, here's another one to avoid. Indeed, I've seen a lot of people say that they don't like this mascara, while a few people think it's amazing - so it seems to be one of those polarising products that you either love or hate.

Two things happen every time I use this: first, I get blobs of mascara all along my upper eye area (in particular the lashline) that need to be removed; and second, it's so clumpy that I need to whip out my eyelash comb. Every single time. I'm far too lazy for that extra step. Plus I can't use this on my lower lashline because the wand is too chunky, so the brush-design is an epic fail but on top of that, the formula doesn't do much for lengthening or thickening either. Blurgh.


Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipsticks

I've reviewed one of these here. My issue with these lipsticks is how much they stink. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I used a product that stunk this much - perhaps never - and the stench is so bad that I just can't use them. Argh.

They smell and taste like a cheap floral perfume (exactly like the Bonne Bell lip balm in the blue tube, only stronger) and the stench hasn't died down over time, so looks like I'll never be able to wear these. Whenever I put one on my lips, I last about five minutes before I have to take it off - that's how much I can't stand the smell and how much it lingers. Shame on me for buying three of these before opening one. Nice formula but an unwearable product for me. So disappointing!


Garnier Miracle Wake Up Cream

I've used a few of these 'blurring' creams now and I haven't liked any of them but this is the worst one by far. I've reviewed it here.

This stuff stinks of alcohol and it doesn't want to absorb so it sits on top of the skin, rather than delivering moisture where I need it most. Plus it leaves a layer of gunk on your face and makes me looks and feel really dry, and I can't put anything over it (like makeup or sunscreen) because it 'balls up' and leaves me with dirty flakes on my face. Horrendous product.

In sum

There we have it, my top eight disappointing products of the year. I did think of making this a 'top ten' list but I really wanted to limit it to the most disappointing finds of the year, which is why I've narrowed it down to eight.

If you'd like to see more disappointing products, you can check out last year's post here.

Do let us know in the comments whether you've found any disappointing products this year that we should all avoid!

Speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.