Fun new things update with mini reviews #1

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to another samples update with mini reviews. It's my first one of these for this year and I'm looking forward to drawing a line under it and moving on to the next one - especially because I have another larger samples post that needs to be uploaded asap (I've already started using the products and even finished some). That's how far behind I am with posting at the moment! 

Let's have a look.


L'Occitane Aromachologie Relaxing Shower Gel (RRP $5.45 AUD for 35ml travel size)

Full review here. While I do like the formula of this shower gel because it cleans without stripping my dry skin, I don't like the scent and for that reason I don't enjoy using it.

I like that it feels quite silky, smooth and velvety to the touch, and while it does smell herbal, it has this odd after-scent that's sickly sweet and turns my stomach. It's one of those scents that gives me a headache if I smell it too close or too often.

I also like that it doesn't foam like crazy or dry out my already dry skin, and that it cleans well while still being gentle. Nevertheless, I can't live with the scent so I wouldn't buy it.


Soap & Glory Mini Clean on Me (RRP $4 AUD for 75ml)

Full review here. I don't mind this product but I don't think it's as good as the rave reviews suggest and I've used plenty of better shower gels, although of course, as always it comes down to personal preference.

It has a faint mandarin peel scent and it does lather but I wouldn't say it foams unless I put it on a shower puff, and it doesn't feel too astringent on the skin. Do note, though, that it contains not only parfum but also sodium laureth sulphate, so it may be irritating to some and I would keep that in mind if you have sensitive skin.

In terms of effect, for me it cleans well without stripping my dry skin, and I do think it's lightly moisturising so that's a plus. Where it falls down, though, is in the experience of using it. I don't look forward to using it, I don't notice when I'm using it and I can barely smell it while I'm using it either - so the experience just isn't there and I prefer shower products that offer me at least some enjoyment. 


Verso Super Eye Serum with Retinol 8 (RRP $130 AUD for 30ml)

This product isn't awful but it hasn't done anything for me and it's not hydrating enough so I wouldn't buy it. I've reviewed it here.

It's a thin product and I find that I need to use more of this per application than I do regular eye creams because it's so thin that it vanishes very quickly into my skin. To start with I was using this twice-daily by itself as my only eye product, but I found that within three days, my eye area had dried out and become more wrinkly. It also felt more uncomfortable and I looked older (especially when I tried applying eyeshadow), so I had to introduce an eye cream over the top to manage that issue.

After two months' use, I've found that it hasn't done anything for me. It doesn't hydrate (and it's still drying out my eye area), plus I haven't noticed any of the kinds of benefits that you'd expect to experience when using a retinol. That is, it's done nothing for my fine lines or pigmentation like age spots. Meh.


Nuface Optimising Mist (RRP $15 AUD for 30ml)

Full review here. I don't know much about this brand and I haven't tried any of its other products, but this mist is lovely and I definitely recommend it if you want something hydrating and refreshing.

What I like about this is that it's incredibly cooling and soothing when applied, and my face feels refreshed when I use it. It's also hydrating enough for my dry skin and that's a huge plus for me personally because not all mists are, especially now that it's getting colder and my skin is getting drier. I love that it gives my parched skin a big drink and also removes any powdery look from my makeup, so it's a good one to spritz if I've just done my face and want everything to merge and settle.


Hask Monoi Coconut Oil Nourishing Shine Oil (RRP $4.99 AUD for 18ml)

Full review here. I love this hair oil and, as soon as I first used it, I could tell that it was binding with my hair and delivering goodness - rather than sitting on top of the hair and weighing it down like so many oils have done for me before. I love that it immediately thickens my hair and adds some shine, plus it has a nourishing effect so my hair feels more moisturised and in better condition after use, but it doesn't feel heavy or look dull and coated.

It also has a detangling effect so I typically apply it after I've washed my hair but before I brush it, and it helps get the knots out. On top of that, it makes my hair more manageable and easier to straighten, and it doesn't get as knotty between washes when I use it - plus it makes my locks sit better too. Overall I can't fault this product. It's cheap, it works and it does great things for my long, dry, frizzy and wavy hair. It's my new HG hair oil for a reason.


Drunk Elephant A-Passioni Retinol Cream (RRP $113 AUD for 30ml)

This is described as a cutting-edge treatment that combines 1.0% vegan retinol with nourishing, superfood-rich ingredients to dramatically diminish the appearance of fine lines, deep wrinkles and sun damage. It should reveal a vibrant, younger-looking complexion, restore bounce and resilience, and help even out the skin's tone and texture.

The sample size was too small to see whether it did much, but I can say that it's one of the better retinols I've tried because it didn't make my skin look grey and ashen after one use (which so many of them do). Nevertheless I wouldn't buy it because I've found a retinol from The Ordinary that works for me so there's no point spending my money on this one.

Drunk Elephant B Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum ($80 AUD for 50ml)

This should quench parched skin in a flash. It's described as a super hydrating, anti-ageing serum for a plump, juicy complexion, and it claims to be ultra lightweight and rapidly absorbed.

This really didn't do much for me and I could tell that even from a small sample like this. I found it was more like a cream than a serum in texture, and I expected it to be super hydrating (given the name) but found that it was just ok. It also didn't nourish or plump up my skin as much as I expected, so it's not one I would buy.


Lancome Monsieur Big Mascara (RRP $25 AUD for 4ml)

Full review here. I don't like this mascara at all and I've given it a 'disappointing products' tag. 

First, the brush is too fat for my hooded eyes so I find it hard to avoid getting mascara goo on my eye-hoods. Second, the wand pulls out ridiculous amounts of product, so every time I use it, I have to spend far too much time scraping off excess goo on the inner neck of the tube - and even then the wand holds too much product. Third, this thing clumps my lashes together like nobody's business. Fourth, it leaves little globs all over my lashes that make me look like I'm sprouting antennae. 

Fifth, given the issues above, this never looks close to natural on me. It was just a waste of money in my case and I've used plenty of budget mascaras that work a lot better than this one. Disappointing.


Grown Alchemist Anti-Frizz Shampoo & Conditioner (RRP $10 each for 50ml)

I have mixed feelings about these products because I do think they work well to reduce my frizz - as they're designed to do - but otherwise they're not the most effective haircare items I've tried so it's not all good news. I've reviewed them here.

I found that the shampoo didn't wash my hair properly on its own, so I always needed to wash it with another shampoo when I used it. I also needed to use far too much per application, so I burned through it too quickly. The conditioner was better, although I still needed to use a lot per application - meaning it wasn't great value either.

When combined, the first two times I used this, my hair was definitely less frizzy but it was also very knotty and it wasn't properly clean either. After I started washing my hair with a more effective shampoo first and using more of the conditioner, things got better. The products not only helped manage frizz, but also left my hair feeling clean, soft and hydrated. Still, I wouldn't buy these because they're not cheap and they're not perfect.


Evo The Great Hydrator Moisture Mask (RRP $34 AUD for 150ml)

This is described as an intensely hydrating moisture mask for hair that is dry or coarse. It should moisturise and smooth colour-damaged, dry and frizzy hair. It conditions, adds moisture, enhances shine, reduces frizz and greatly improves hair manageability.

I haven't reviewed this because I've only used it twice and I only have one application left, but what I will say is that it has a very thick, almost balm-like texture that makes it really hard to wash out, so it can leave my locks looking dull and feeling coated. While I do think it adds some nourishment, it doesn't do much for shine or detangling my hair, and it doesn't help with thickness either. Indeed, I've used much better masks than this one (cheaper ones too) so I wouldn't buy it for myself.

In sum

That's all from me. I'm glad that I've finally managed to update this post and I'm looking forward to introducing the next one - especially because I've recently had another influx of new samples so I have another two posts that I would like to get done in the second half of this year.

Anyhoo. Do let me know in the comments whether you've tried any of these products and what you think of them if so.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.