July 2019 empties #1

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my first empties post for the month.

I'm super behind on posting again because I've had so much work on lately, and I'm still trying to learn how to juggle the kids, the extra work and normal household duties while still having enough time to post. I suspect things won't calm down much until my son starts kinder next year. We'll see.

Anyhoo. Empties. Let's have a look.


L'Occitane Aqua Gel Cleanser

Full review here. I enjoyed using this cleanser, but the ingredients list concerned me a bit so I wouldn't buy it again.

It lathers nicely and the lather it creates feels rich, velvety and cleansing - but it doesn't foam like crazy or feel astringent on my skin. Do note, though, that the third listed ingredient is sodium laureth sulfate and the last one is parfum, so this does contain things that may irritate the skin and I would test this first if you're prone to sensitivity - or just avoid it completely.

What I love about this product, however, is that it cleans my skin nicely and doesn't feel too harsh or irritating - nor does it feel like it's stripped my skin or dried it out, despite daily use. So there are things to like about it, but it's not perfect. Repurchase? No.

Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Floral Toner

I think this product is fine, but it's not my favourite toner from Andalou so I wouldn't buy it again. I've reviewed it here.

The product smells like roses and while I've never liked that particular scent, it's not strong and it's also natural so I can live with it. As for efficacy, while it does feel soothing on the skin and it's not drying, it's not as hydrating as Andalou's coconut version (reviewed here) and it doesn't have the same firming/toning effect - so although I enjoy using it, it doesn't have enough punch for me personally. It should suit sensitive skin though, so it's one to keep in mind if that's you. Repurchase? No.


Madara AHA Brightening Peel Mask

Full review here. This is a good product, and while it's not the most effective peel I've used, I like that it's gentle enough that I can use it a few times a week if I want to without upsetting my skin.

When applied, this has a tingling effect that tells me it's working. It's not an uncomfortable feeling - it just feels as though it's eating away at dead skin (lovely ; )). After use my skin looks brighter and feels smoother, plus it feels firmer and gently resurfaced. It's the kind of product that does its job without causing any discomfort or irritation - or at least it hasn't for me.

Nevertheless, I still prefer Skinstitut's Enzymatic Micro Peel (reviewed here), which is a very similar product - it's just a bit cheaper (and often available on special), and I think the Skinstitut is more hydrating than this one, so it suits my dry skin better while still delivering the same results. Purchase? No.

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer, Hydrating

While I do like this primer and think it works well as a base for makeup, it's not very hydrating and I can't tell much difference between this one and the Blemish-less version (reviewed here), which is designed for oily/combination skin.

It's a lightweight gel product and it leaves behind a slightly tacky finish that's good for makeup application because it helps products adhere. I can also see and feel that it creates a smooth canvas, and it sits well under makeup. Plus I think it makes my makeup last a little longer. 

What this doesn't do well, however, is hydrate. When I apply it, it feels lightweight and smoothing - but it doesn't feel nourishing enough for my dry skin. Indeed, it feels like one of those primers that sits on top of the skin, rather than penetrating and delivering moisture. So while it's a decent primer overall, it's not hydrating enough for me personally. Repurchase? No.


Clarins Hydra-Essentiel Silky Cream SPF 15, Normal to Dry Skin

I included this little sample in one of my larger samples posts, it's just that I haven't got around to uploading that post because I'm super behind!

It's meant to be hydrating and should leave the skin feeling quenched and comfortable, and looking fresh and radiant. What I found however was that it was nowhere near hydrating enough for me, and it sat on top of my skin - rather than sinking in and delivering nourishment. For this reason I needed to add another moisturiser over the top to help with dryness, so it's safe to say that it's not the right moisturiser for me. Purchase? No.

Lancome Advanced Genifique Youth Activating Serum

I love this stuff. It made my skin look so much better that other people even noticed the difference. That's saying something! I've reviewed it here.

It's a fluid serum that offers some pretty amazing results. Not only does it spread and absorb well, but it also has a brightening effect so it boosts radiance. On top of that, it plumps fine lines and wrinkles so it makes my skin look smoother, and it has an effect on how firm and toned my face feels as well. 

This is one of the few serums that I've given an HG tag. I've already bought myself the full-size. Repurchase? Yes.


Acure Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub

I received a couple of these scrubs as GWPs and I'd meant to review this one but finished it before I could, so I'll have to review it before I finish my second tube.

It claims to lift and buff away dead skin cells and built-up dirt and grime, while nourishing, hydrating and brightening the skin. I reckon it does those things, and while it does contain scrubby matter, it doesn't feel too scratchy on the skin and I don't find it to be too harsh. It also contains heaps of scrubby matter, so a little goes a long way and even this 30ml sample lasted me ages. I definitely enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to reviewing my second tube. Purchase? Maybe.

Natio Ageless Hydrating Mask

Full review here. This product did nothing for me so I'm glad I've finished it and can now move on to something else.

It's not hydrating (if anything, my face feels drier after use) and it doesn't get in there and nourish my skin where I need it most. I also haven't noticed any other positive benefits - so it doesn't eg brighten, soothe or clarify my skin - and I honestly think the whole process of using it is a waste of time, or at least it is in my case. Repurchase? No.


Pai Echium & Argan Gentle Eye Cream

Full review here. This is a good, simple eye cream that hydrates my dry eye area without weighing it down. It's lightweight and absorbs well, and while my eyes didn't look too bad while I used this, it's only just hydrating enough for my dry skin and something richer would smooth out my eye area more effectively.

It also doesn't do anything for my fine lines or wrinkles, nor does it brighten my eye area or plump my skin to make it appear more youthful. It's a one-trick pony kind of product (or at least it is in my experience), so that's something to keep in mind - especially when you consider the price-tag. It may suit those with younger eyes than mine (or those who don't have dry skin), but it doesn't do enough for me personally. Purchase? No.

Pai Comfrey & Calendula Calming Body Cream

This is described as a rich, non-greasy body cream that's especially formulated for skin that's mature, dry, irritated or inflamed. It's designed to deeply nourish, hydrate and comfort aggravated skin while still allowing skin to breathe.

Unfortunately I didn't like this at all. I found that it didn't absorb well, and it almost had a slightly chalky texture that I didn't enjoy. It also left my skin feeling dry after use, and I needed to use a lot per application because it didn't spread well, so I don't think the full size would be good value on a price-per-use basis. Not for me. Purchase? No.

In sum

That's all from me! I hope you enjoyed this empties post and that you have plenty of your own empties for the month.

The best items in this lot were the Lancome serum, the Acure scrub and the Madara peel - everything else I can take or leave.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.