Violet Box May 2014 - unboxing and first impressions

/
0 Comments

*NB: Nuxe sachets (see below) not pictured - I've used them already!
Since I only started this blog in June, I haven't yet reviewed the earlier subscription boxes I received this year and last - so I thought I'd go back and review them. I'm doing this because I know how useful they can be for people thinking of signing up; when I was making the decision to sign up to each box I subscribe to (Violet Box, Lust Have It and Bellabox), I did my research and looked at some earlier boxes to check whether I'd find each one worth the money. Hopefully this review is helpful : ). It's also nice to go back over the different boxes I've received and enjoy them all over again.

The May 2014 Violet Box is probably my favourite of the recent ones (the other being the October 2013 box, the one where got - wuhoo! - a full sized Bodyography face powder worth $70).


LUSH Popcorn Lip Scrub (RRP $9.95 for 25g; received full size)


I LOVE this product. I'm not entirely sure that it smells like popcorn, but it certainly smells amazing. This was the sneak peak item for this month and I was super excited to receive it. I was extra excited because, had it not been for the sneak peak, I'd already decided to buy some sort of lip scrub since it was starting to get cold and my lips were suffering from it. Purchase avoided!


It contains coconut and jojoba oils, sugar, sea salt and polenta; it does what it claims and buffs your lips nicely, leaving them smooth and moisturised. Love. It smells so good that my husband opens it now and then to give it a smell haha.


Goldwell StyleSign Sleek Perfection (RRP $24.95 for 100ml; received 20ml sample valued at $4.99)


On first use, I wasn't that wowed by this product - but I think that may actually have been about the shampoo and conditioner I'd just used. Further uses impressed me more. It feels great on your hair, doesn't weigh it down and does the job. A good quality product, and one I'm likely to buy in full size when I run out of straightening products (if that ever happens...I seem to have acquired something of a collection from various boxes).


It's designed to protect the hair from the effects of hot styling tools, is apparently humidity resistant for up to 24 hours (it's too cold for me to confirm that one!) and aims to give a 'silky-straight look' that lasts. It delivers. This is the only product I've used that compares to John Frieda's Frizz Ease. Love.


Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil (RRP $22 for 1.4g; received full size)


I have nothing like this in my collection and was thrilled to receive it. I was extra thrilled when Violet Box posted a link on Facebook showing 10 ways in which it can be used (see here).


At the moment I'm only using it as a brow-bone highlighter, but I'll definitely try it in the other ways mentioned - it's just that I currently have other products that perform similar functions. It's great to have a pencil that's easy to use and multi-purpose. Big ticks for this one too. How good is this box?


There's a swatch:


Eve's Ready to Wear Lipstick by Teeez (RRP $32 for 3.5g; received full size)

My excitement over receiving this one knew no bounds. I had a Teeez lipstick in my Violet Box shopping cart waiting to be purchased when I got paid, and then this showed up. Yaysers! Another purchase avoided. While it's not the colour I had picked out, nor is it one I would have chosen for myself, I still like it and use it frequently. It's a very pale pink and I thought it would look rubbish on me, but turns out it doesn't. I've also used it over some other lipsticks/stains that are very bright, just to tone them down a bit when I'm not in the mood for 'look at me' lips.


It's super creamy and moisturising and feels lovely on. It aims to nourish, hydrate and repair cracked lips, and it certainly does that. Due to the creaminess it doesn't have good staying power, but I don't care. More big ticks. And who doesn't love Teeez packaging? Seriously, I'd buy their stuff just for that (what a sucker).


Timeless Truth Face Mask (RRP $8 for 30ml; received full size)

I've tried this one before because I wound up with two (one from another box). There's a lot of these kinds of masks about at the moment and some work better than others. This is one of the better ones and it's loaded with product (I used the excess in the package and spread it over my body while waiting for the mask to do its work). My skin felt much nicer afterwards and looked more plump, although I didn't notice any lasting effect. I rarely do, with face masks. Still, a good product.

Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse (RRP $24.95 for 50ml and $39.95 for 100ml) plus Nuxe Creme Merveillance (RRP $64.95 for 50ml) - received two 2ml sachets of each, roughly $2.60 and $1.98 value

As mentioned, I haven't pictured these because I've used them already. To have a look at them, see here.


Like most people, I don't like sachets. I'd also received these before, but I do love them. I've been wanting to buy the dry oil for a while because it's so lovely, but haven't because I have a few Happy Skincare oils that I'd like to get through first (see - I do have restraint!). The dry oil has become a cult product and I can see why. It's amazeballs and smells so wonderful. The cream has a similar smell, though I think the dry oil is a better product and stands out from the rest.

In sum


Brilliant box. Really loved this one. The value was over $80 - not bad at all. As I've mentioned before, Violet Box is definitely my favourite subscription box. It's the best value and always surprises you with new and interesting products. I'm yet to be disappointed. It's a little more expensive than the other boxes (retailing at $22.95 per month) but it's so worth it. If you're considering signing up, I urge you to do so. You can always cancel your subscription at any time if you're not happy.


To join Violet Box, click the ad on the right of my blog or visit here. Use the code 'VIOLETBOX10' for $10 off your first box.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.