Violet Box October 2014 - review

/
0 Comments

The arrival of Mr Postie! Marked this month by our puppy barking when the package was left on the front doorstep - and it's the first time she's barked at him. Our little puppy is growing up, to become a super duper guard dog (we hope).

Anyhoo, moving on ; )


From the moment I opened this box, I knew something was wrong. It just didn't look full enough - not that it needs to - but my eye caught the 'DB' tag and I lurched. I'm not kidding. I didn't actually think that DB would infiltrate Violet Box too, but it has.

Violet Box has always contained higher-end brands and more generous and interesting products than the other Australian boxes: that's why I've been happy to pay the extra few dollars over eg LHI in terms of continuing my subscription.

I never thought Violet Box would disappoint, but this month it has. Oh well. I've been subscribed for a year now and this is the first bad box. One bad box a year is ok.


Eslor Introductory Collection (containing a bundle of 5ml samples)

This nicely presented collection of sachets includes Eslor's Soothing Refiner & Cleanser, Botanical Peeling Gel, Chlorophyll Lifting Mask and Firming Collagen Day Cream.

Now, as a dedicated Eslor junkie, I can confirm that we received very good samples in this kit (better than the ones received from Bellabox a while back). The only product I don't love is the cleanser (it's too gentle for me), but the others are great.


I know most of us don't like sachets, but do give these a go - they're decent 5ml sizes and should last at least a week of use. I hope you enjoy the products as much as I have (cleanser aside) : )

Wotnot Facial Wipes for Oily/Sensitive Skin (RRP $1.95 for 5 wipes)

Yes, it's true. I forgot to photograph the wipes separately. Blame preggers brain for that (!) - and I didn't correct the error because we've seen these many times in subscription boxes and it's fair to say that most of us have used them.

For a few words on these exact wipes, see my August empties post (they're the first product up). In short, they're fine but I prefer the pink version from Wotnot, and my favourite wipes are from Essenzza.

I think these wipes and the Eslor samples are going straight into my 'hospital toiletries kit' (apparently I should have one of those ready to go by Christmas, in case bub comes early). Having said this, will I be applying masks and makeup in hospital?! Who knows, but I do like being prepared...


DB Eternal Colour Lipstick (RRP $9.99) and Lip Pencil (RRP $4.99)

The colours I got were Rose Brown (lippie) and Fuschia Rose (pencil). I'll pop these in the swap/presents pile - I'm not excited enough about either of these items to want to try them, and I have enough lipsticks and pencils in my collection already.


PHR Professional Haircare Recovery Leave-in Moisturiser (RRP $39.95 for 125ml; received 15ml sample)

I made the mistake of reading about this product on the card before going through the box properly and seeing that this one was a sample. Foo! I'd hoped for the full size (we'd already had two sample items and VB is normally more generous than the other boxes). Not to be.

It contains a blend of natural ingredients including jojoba seed oil and keratin, and aims to seal in hydration and leave your hair renewed and full of lustre. I'm looking forward to trying this at least.


Haughty Cosmetics - Perfect Finish Lipgloss (RRP$23 for 2.8g; received full size)

This was the sneak peek item and probably the best product in the box. Unfortunately I received red, which doesn't suit me. Another product for the presents/swap pile.

According to the product card, this lipgloss 'feels awesome and stays on'. It's paraben free and not tested on animals, and the box says that 50% of the proceeds from the sale of this product will go towards preventing domestic violence, so that's cool.

Verdict

Not much left to say here unfortunately : (

I'm happiest about the hair sample, I'm always glad to receive Eslor samples and the wipes won't go astray but they don't float my boat.

I'd be interested to see what others thought of this box. Is it just me, or has VB gone downhill a little? Maybe it's just this month. Fingers crossed there's a great box heading our way in November.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.