Pan that Palette 2018: February update (Burberry, Hourglass etc)

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my February update for Pan that Palette 2018!

I have to preface this update by mentioning that I was diagnosed with contact dermatitis over three weeks ago, which has had some implications for my panning projects. Reason being, I can't apply my makeup every day in the morning as I used to, nor can I apply whatever skincare I want to my face.

Long story short, what I'm currently doing is drawing a face in a leather-bound notebook given to me by my sister, and then I'm applying makeup to that. I need to do this for my own sanity: in those rare moments when my toddlers are quiet and occupied, instead of applying makeup to my own face, I'm now applying it to paper. 

However. I'm also applying a full face of makeup to myself not long before I jump in the shower (my dermatologist was fine with this), again, for my own sanity. Makeup and skincare are how I meditate. Since skincare's gone for the moment, it's important to me to do both my paper face and my own makeup each day. Might sound weird to some, but there it is.

I'm telling you this because you'll see some surprising progress below: that's because I'm currently working on two faces every day! (And they say you only have one face... ; ) )

Let's start with the Burberry quad this time.


I wanted to start with this so I could let you know that my goals for this quad have changed.

While previously I wanted to pan the entire palette, I've decided that I only want to pan three of the shades completely. The one I want to keep is the only decent shadow in there, being the dusty rose. 

So what I'll do with that shade is pan some this year, then I'll eventually repress it into another pan and add it to one of my custom palettes. I'm doing this because the quad is relatively new so the only reason I'm panning it is because I don't like it: therefore it makes sense for me to hang onto the one shadow in this quad I do like for a little longer.

Here's how it looked last month:


And here's how it's looking now:


So I've definitely made good progress on the 'highlight' shade and I expect it to be the first shadow down. I've been using it heaps this month to mix with whatever lid shade I'm using for the day (eg the Stila orange, discussed below). It dulls down brighter colours to give me a more neutral look.

As for the green and brown, I'm still mixing these every day for my brows and sometimes for lining my waterlines, but since I'm two months in and I'm not sure we can say that I've used one-sixth of each pan, I may need to start using them more. I'll see if I can make a little more progress this month.

I've used a bit more of the rosy shade but as mentioned above, I'm not concerned about that one because I want to keep it anyway.

Next, my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette:


As you may already know, I've been using this one by separating the two colours in every pan with a sewing needle. 

This is why you'll see a lot more progress on those blushes that contain more of the pale colours (which I can use as finishing powders and highlighters), while the pink (left) seems to contain very little pearl so progress is slower.

Here's how my palette looked last month:


And here's how it's looking now:


As you can see, I've made good progress throughout February.

Let's have a look at the individual pans.

Luminous Flush, last month:


Luminous Flush, now:


Of the three, this one's showing the least progress. This is for two reasons: first, it's my least-favourite shade of the three; and second, there's a lot more pink in this than pearl so I haven't been able to separate the pale swirls and use them alone as I have with the other two shades.

I can see this blush lasting until the end of the year, unless I discover more pearl hiding underneath.

Incandescent Electra last month:


And now:


This one's showing a lot more progress. I'm using it every day as a blush, and I also use the pearl portions as a highlighter (mixed with a little of Luminous Flush so it's a pale pink highlight).

Even though it looks like most of what's left is peach, underneath the peach is a lot more pearl so I know I can get through this well before the end of the year.

Mood Exposure, last month:


And Mood Exposure now:


This one's showing the most progress in the shortest space of time. This is because I've been using the Mood Light portion of the blush as my finishing powder every day, so it's covering the largest surface area. I also use the plum shade every day in my eye looks. 

Again, I can see this one being finished long before the end of the year.

Now for my custom palette.


This is showing a remarkable amount of progress, and that's got a lot to do with the fact that I've been using this daily for my 'paper face' (see my comments in the intro above).

I've found that I need to use twice the amount of product on paper that I would on my skin in order to get it to show up. That's why I've managed to get through so much product in only one month.

Do note that I haven't been applying my more expensive/newer powders to paper (so the Burberry and Hourglass products always get used on my face), but many of the powders in my custom palette are older, cost less, or I don't love how they look on me anyway - that's why I've been happy to apply them to paper. Indeed, I've never enjoyed using them as much as I do now!

Here's how my palette looked last month:


And here's how it's looking now:


There's a lot of progress to discuss here.

As always, let's work in sections. The left side, as it was last month:


And here's how it's looking now:


I've used Nars Isolde occasionally on my eyes (mixed with the Burberry quad so the Nars one doesn't look as drying and wrinkly), but that's all I've done this month so we're not seeing much progress.

Stila's Luster: that's a lot of progress! For my eyes I've been using it occasionally to add some definition in the outer v and then bringing it slightly over the crease before using shades like Stila's orange (a shade I really love), to help tone done the colour of both shades. I've also been using it for the last three weeks on my paper face, for the brows and also to draw in some eyelashes and add depth/definition through the outer v and crease.

The Clarins bronzer. Sooo... Story. While I've always been using it as my body bronzer, once I had my skin issue it became the bronzer for my paper face. On top of this, I eventually ran out of the two BB creams I was panning (both on my face and my paper face), so I of course thought 'oh well, I'll just colour in my paper face with the lightest bronzer shade'.

That didn't work too well, and I found that all my powders adhered a lot better if I went in with a liquid product first (the paper in my notebook is that heavier, textured, recycled kind). After that I crushed up some of the paler parts of the bronzer and mixed those with a couple of silicone-y moisturisers that I don't like. And what do you know, it works beautifully as a paper face foundation!

The thing, though, is that as soon as I started doing this, the paper face became darker (even though I tried mixing in some whitening drops, which didn't work for some reason) - so of course I now have to use even more of my remaining shades to get the colours to show up on the darker 'skin'. Oh well, these powders are old and unloved anyway - and many of them have already been re-pressed - which is why I'm burning through them.

Moving on.

Here's how the right side of my palette looked last month:


And here's how it's looking now:


Now before you ask - 'What the hell happened?' - let me explain.

That purple pan (top middle) has been flipped over because once it was finished, I needed it immediately for a highlighter I'm also panning (on the side, the clue is that you saw it in last year's challenge). 

What happened is that a good chunk of highlighter lifted itself clean out of the pan when I accidentally knocked it, and since I needed to find a smaller pan for what I had left of the product, I used this one because it couldn't have been a better fit. I then re-pressed it into the pan and added some outside portions of said highlighter that I needed to re-press anyway. Bob's your uncle. You'll see the highlighter in my empties soon enough - I'm just working on the last remaining bits from the original pan.

How did I use the purple? First on my paper face as blush, eyeshadow, lipstick, you name it - and then (once I'd finished the pale green), I was able to use it as an all-over setting powder for my paper foundation mix because it didn't have a lot of pigment so it didn't turn my paper face purple.

As for my two unknown greens (also mixed myself from old shadows), you might have expected the teal to go first but I burned through the pale green, not only as a setting powder for my paper foundation, but also to set my eye primer. Again, it didn't have a lot of pigment and it had already been re-pressed twice, so it was very powdery and I was always going to get through it quickly with frequent use.

As for the teal, I've been using that quite a bit on my own eyes this month and also to do fun paper lip and eye colours. I expect that to be gone next month.

Bottom left: the oblong pan (Nars Sin) hasn't been used much this month but I'll start using it more now that I've panned other shades. Stila's Sunset was finished around ten days ago, which isn't surprising because there wasn't much left. Next to that is what's left of theBalm's Hot Mama and I expect that to be gone next month, too.

And finally, the orange Stila shadow, which I've used quite a bit mixed with the Burberry quad to get a more muted lid shade, and of course the pan I re-pressed that contained a mix of theBalm's Mary-Lou and Cindy-Lou

If you're wondering how I got through this much, if you look at January's shot, you should be able to see a huge dip in the centre of the pan that's large and travels up towards the top. I hit pan in this shade the day after January's photo, and the powder in the dip part of the pan was very thin so I expanded the pan super fast. But of course, all the hard work was done much earlier than this. I've been using this as my body highlighter (collarbones, shoulders, down the shins) and also as the highlighter for my paper face. Can I get through it within the next two months? I certainly hope so! We'll see.

Last up, the round pans along the bottom. Here's how they looked last month:


And here's how they're looking now:


The Becca cream shade I was able to kick out early because I used that as my setting powder for my whole face. 

As for the Ardency Inn shadows, the big news here is that I've hit pan on the purple Disco and expanded the pan on Rose Gold. I've used these a lot on my paper face because they're not without issue on my eyes so I much prefer them on paper! I'm still to review these, so stay tuned if you're interested.

In sum

That's all from me!

I hope you enjoyed this post and that you're going well with your own panning projects.

Speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.