Project Dent 2018: Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eyeshadow Palette

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my next round of Project Dent!

I bought this eyeshadow palette about eighteen months after it was released in Australia, because it's permanent and I was in no rush to buy it - so I waited until I'd finished some shadows before adding it to my collection.

Since then I've used it a lot, although I must say that I've used ABH's Mario Palette more than I have this one, for the simple reason that I find those colours to be more useful for everyday wear.


Still, I do enjoy this palette and I'm looking forward to denting it. I'm also looking forward to reviewing it, since I haven't done that yet and I need to!

One thing to note is that the packaging of this palette is awful. Indeed, the packaging was one of the reasons why I delayed purchasing it. The good news is that it looks better in person than it does in photos, but it's still not practical because it gets very dirty, very quickly and there's no easy way to clean it.

Indeed, mine is covered in dust and fluff that I can't remove - which is why it looks rather grubby.


I love the look of this palette: I've always loved it.

When I first saw it, I thought it was the most interesting and cohesive palette I'd seen in a long time, and I still think that. Unlike some of ABH's other palettes (eg Prism and Subculture), this one is arranged well and it just makes sense.

I also love that there isn't a dud shade in here. Normally there's at least a couple of shades in palettes like this that I know I won't use, but all of these are useful. 

If I'm being picky, I would remove Tempera because I personally have no use for a matte highlight: I have hooded eyes so I don't highlight the brow-bone, and I can use my setting powder to set my primer so creams are always wasted shadows for me. I also think that Antique Bronze isn't the right colour for this palette - it's too flat and doesn't quite go with the richness of the other shades - but that's just my opinion.

Here are the first six shades, direct sunlight:


Same shot, enhanced for clarity:


You can see that I've definitely used all of these but we don't have any visible dents happening.

Golden Ochre, Raw Sienna and Burnt Orange are among my favourite shades in the palette and I use them almost every time I reach for it.

I do use Tempera because it's there but I don't need it, and I enjoy both Vermeer and Primavera but I tend to use the gold Primavera more because it's warmer and that's my preference.

The middle shades, direct sunlight (and we're repeating the two shimmers here):


Same shot, enhanced for clarity:


Let's skip to the last four because we've already talked about the shimmers.

Buon Fresco is one of my favourite shades and it might be my most-used shadow in the whole palette. I do love a good lavender, and matte lavenders are rare.

I've already mentioned that I'm not a huge fan of Antique Bronze because I personally feel that it doesn't have enough life, and you can no doubt tell that I haven't used Red Ochre or Venetian Red much. I would like to change that over the denting period.

Last up, the remaining shades (direct sunlight):


Enhanced for clarity:


We've already discussed the first two so let's skip to Love Letter and Cyprus Umber, neither of which I've used much. Again, I would like to change that over the denting period.

As for Warm Taupe, that's up there with Buon Fresco as my most-used shadow in the palette. This is because the palette is very warm so I often need Warm Taupe to pull back the warmth of my eyeshadow so it looks more everyday appropriate.

I've also used Realgar quite a lot because I love a good orange, although I would like to see it being used more over the next couple of weeks.

In sum

I'm really looking forward to denting this palette. Indeed, I may well dent it for more than my standard two weeks because there are plenty of colours to choose from and I would like to see all of them used at least a few times over the denting period. So let's say that I'll aim to wrap this up halfway through March.

I also hope to review this palette during that time, so stay tuned for that if you're interested.

I'm not sure how far I'll be able to take things over the next few weeks but I've heard that ABH shadows show progress very easily, so you never know, we might be lucky.

That's all from me. Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.