October 2018 empties #2

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my second empties post for the month.

I wrote one of these yesterday and I'm back today with my second, and by the end of the month I'm hoping to have a third one written so I can see another thirty items out of my collection in October. Fingers crossed.

So without further ado...


St Tropez Gradual Tan Classic Everyday Body Lotion in Medium/Dark

Full review here. This was a good product and I do recommend it in terms of effect, but it was also expensive for a self-tanner and I would never pay full price for it: you just don't need to spend this much to get a decent tan.

Still, it gave me a natural-looking, credible tan and although I needed to apply a lot per application, the tan lasted a week so I didn't get through the product too quickly. It also didn't streak when applied, although it wasn't a hydrating cream and I've used self-tanners before that not only give me a great tan but also moisturise my dry skin. Repurchase? No.

Thursday Plantation Nurture Oil

I bought this because it was on clearance in my local Priceline, and while it was ok, I don't think it was good value (even on clearance) since you're only getting 60ml for a body oil. I've reviewed it here.

While I found this to be a very nourishing and hydrating oil, it didn't do anything for scars or stretchmarks as claimed so I wouldn't buy it if that's what you're after. Also, you can apparently use it on the face - but even with my dry skin, it was far too heavy for that and I could only use it on the body. It was also very thick so I needed a lot per application, reducing its value even further. Repurchase? No.


Bioré Baking Soda Acne Scrub

Full review here. I haven't had much luck with Biore as a brand and I didn't like this product either. 

While it was pH balanced so it was gentle on skin, the exfoliating beads inside it were large, smooth and sparse - so it wasn't an effective scrub and I don't recommend it for that reason. My other issue was that it contains menthol, which I find to be irritating on my skin so in the end I had to use it as a body scrub. Just not for me. Purchase? No.

Batiste Dry Shampoo (Eden)

This is a really excellent dry shampoo and I'm glad I found the range. It does exactly what it says it will do: it makes my hair look/feel cleaner and fresher, plus it adds body and texture to boot. It's available in different scents and I've reviewed this one here.

It also works if eg you've used a product that's left your hair feeling heavy and coated, so if I've used a shampoo/conditioner combo that's left a film, a few sprays of this will manage the issue well. Plus it makes my hair easier to brush, adds some shine and also makes my hair feel softer. Love. Repurchase? Already have.


Dermal Therapy Hand Balm

I've received this twice now as a GWP, and both times it worked well for my dry hands. Full review here.

It was quite a thick cream that had an odd smell, but I could live with that because I only applied it once a day (before bed) and it made a real difference to my dry, over-washed hands (comes with the territory when you've got young kids). While I probably wouldn't buy it because I prefer hand creams that feel more 'special', it did work and it's something to keep in mind if you need something inexpensive that does the job. Purchase? Probably not.

Nivea Repair & Care SOS Hand Balm

Full review here. I didn't like this product at all and this surprised me because Nivea body and hand products normally work well for me, but I suppose you can't win 'em all.

It's a very waxy product that I couldn't use during the day because it left my hands feeling incredibly greasy and slippery after use, and I couldn't use it at night either because all it did was leave a thick coating on my skin without adding nourishment, so my hands felt really dry underneath it. In the end I used it as a foot balm, although it left my feet feeling dry too. Not for me. Repurchase? No.


Origins Ginzing Energy Boosting Gel Moisturiser

Full review here. I didn't hate this product but it didn't work for my dry skin so I wouldn't use it again.

While it smelled refreshing (like fresh oranges) and felt soothing on the skin, what I found was that it left a tacky coating on my face and didn't absorb properly, so my skin still felt dry underneath it and I had to put an oil down first while I was using it. I'm sure it would be fine for oily skin, but I need something with more punch. Repurchase? No.

Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream

I didn't like this eye cream at all and I wouldn't recommend it because it did absolutely nothing for me. I've reviewed it here.

It wasn't hydrating enough so I always needed to put an oil underneath it (are you sensing an Origins theme here?) and it also had light reflecting particles inside it, which served only to emphasise my eye hoods and the raised bags under my eyes. Not ideal. It also left a tacky coating on the skin, which may partly be why it didn't hydrate my eye area: that is, it wasn't absorbing properly. Repurchase? No.


Clarins Hand & Nail Treatment Cream 

Full review here. This hand cream was ok but it's overpriced for what it is and I've used better hand creams that cost a fraction of the price.

It was quite rich in texture and it had a very strong (artificial) scent. It spread and applied well, and while it did absorb, it also left behind a tacky residue and I could tell that not all of it was sinking in. 

For this reason it wasn't great for day use, and while I do think it was reasonably nourishing, it certainly wasn't the most hydrating hand cream I've used and I don't think you need to spend this much to get something that works. Purchase? No.

Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask

This mask didn't work for me at all so I ended up using the remains on my body because it wasn't doing anything good for my face. I've reviewed it here.

It's a charcoal-coloured mask that's more like a gel than a mud in texture and for some reason I had issues getting a smooth, even coverage from it. It was also uncomfortable as it dried down and after use my skin had that dry, stripped, squeaky clean feeling that told me it wasn't doing good things for my face. I'm glad that it's gone. Repurchase? No.

In sum

That's all from me.

It wasn't a great bunch of empties and the best item in here was the Batiste dry shampoo. Everything else I can take or leave.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.