February 2019 empties #3

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my third empties post for the month!

I'm super pleased to be hitting three empties posts for February, and indeed I'm going to attempt to hit three for March too - for the simple reason that I have makeup and skincare inventories coming up next month so I want to remove what I can from my collection before then.

In no particular order...


Sukin Soap Free Body Wash

Full review here. I like this product and I recommend it. Not only is it gentle on the skin, but it's also reasonably priced and you can often find it on special so it's one to keep in mind.

It's a clear gel that's very smooth, silky and almost velvety, and while it does lather up, it doesn't foam like crazy so I can tell that it doesn't contain any sulphates. It doesn't dry out my skin and instead leaves it feeling softly hydrated after use. It also cleans well enough that I've been able to use it as a hand wash in the kitchen and it will effectively take care of food scraps, oil, nappy cream dregs and also greasy sunscreen without issue. Repurchase? Maybe.

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water in Oil

This is an excellent product and I've given it an HG tag because it's the best micellar water I've used to date. Reason being, it removes makeup the best and it also completely removes my waterproof mascara - something that no other micellar water has managed to do until now. I've reviewed it here.

I think the addition of oil makes the difference: it cuts through gunk with very little effort and no rubbing. After use my face is soft, hydrated, makeup-free and ready for cleansing. The product also never irritates my dry, sensitive skin, so I find it to be very gentle. Plus it’s cheap and often available on special, and I can buy it from my local chemist or supermarket. Winning! Repurchase? Yes.


Natio Orange Blossom Body Wash

Full review here. This product was decent but it wasn't so amazing that I would buy it again so I'm pleased that I've finished it. It works into a light lather but it doesn't foam like crazy and I'm not surprised to see that it doesn't contain SLS. Indeed, it's a gentle kind of product that doesn't strip the skin but instead cleans it softly - so it should suit those with sensitive skin.

Too many body gels are too astringent for me and they have a tendency to dry out my body. This one doesn't, which is a huge plus for me personally. After use my skin feels soft, clean and supple, and while the product hasn't done anything miraculous for me, it's fine to use and it suits my skin type. Repurchase? No.

QV Gentle Wash

I didn't write a full review of this product because I mostly used it on the kids, so I can't speak to how it cleaned my skin - but what I can say is that it cleaned my two pre-schoolers' skin well without stripping it or drying it out.

It's one of those gentle body washes that lathers lightly and doesn't contain SLS etc, and while the experience of using it wasn't mind-blowing, it's a good product for sensitive skin or to use on children because it's so gentle and does the job. Purchase? Maybe.


BareMinerals Skinlongevity Vital Power Infusion 

Full review here. This is a really nice serum, and while it's not quite as good as my HG Lancome serum (reviewed here), they're similar in terms of effect - it's just that the Lancome serum yields stronger results. 

What I love about this BareMinerals offering is that it has a brightening effect so it boosts radiance, plus it plumps fine lines and wrinkles a little (at least temporarily) so it makes my skin look more even. 

I also feel that it firms and tones the skin, at least for a while after I've applied it. Indeed, my skin looks more healthy when I use this, and it feels softer and smoother so makeup glides on better, which is always a plus for me personally. Repurchase? Yes.

Andalou Naturals Clear Skin Willow Bark Pure Pore Toner

While I don't hate this product, I don't like it either and it irritates my skin so I would avoid this if you have sensitive skin. I've reviewed it here.

It's a standard toner that comes in a blue bottle and it smells like peppermint. From the moment I first used it, I knew that it wasn't for me because it felt irritating straight away and also left my skin with that cool, slightly sensitised feeling that I've come to associate with peppermint oil.

It also has a tightening effect (not in a good way) and it feels like it strips my skin, and while yes it's definitely good at removing dirt and makeup from my face, I feel like it's removing necessary oil from my face too and also upsetting my skin's natural protective barrier. Purchase? No.


Trilogy Gentle Facial Exfoliant

Full review here. I haven't had a lot of luck with Trilogy products in the past but I do enjoy this one and I recommend it.

It's quite a rich cream in texture and I think that helps ensure that my skin never feels dry or irritated after I've used it. Instead my face feels soft, clean and gently resurfaced, and lightly hydrated to boot. The exfoliating particles this contains are incredibly fine so it should suit those who don't like harsh exfoliants. But despite how fine they are, they work well because there's a lot of them and they slough off dead skin nicely without leaving my face feeling raw. Worth trying. Repurchase? Maybe.

Marc Jacobs Under(cover) Perfecting Coconut Face Primer

This is a nice primer but it hasn't struck me in any particular way so I wouldn't buy it again because it's expensive and I've used other primers I prefer. I've reviewed it here.

It's lightweight and while it feels reasonably hydrating when applied, I wouldn't rely on this for hydration: I've used other primers that do a lot more for my dry skin than this one does. I think what this product is doing is mostly sitting on top of my skin, rather than delivering nourishment. 

Still, it does have a smoothing effect and it offers a slightly dewy finish that looks pretty, plus it dries down to a tacky finish that's not too sticky and I do think makeup glides on well over the top. Repurchase? No.


La Mav Firming Eye Lotion

Full review here. This eye cream is decent for the price so it's one to consider if you're in the market for a basic eye cream that doesn't cost the earth. While it's not the right product for my 38yo, dry skin, I can imagine it working well for oily skinned lasses or those who are younger than I am.

It's a lightweight cream with no unpleasant scent, and it spreads and absorbs well, and I like that it's hydrating enough that my eyes felt comfortable while I was using it. I also like that it's nourishing enough for night use while still being lightweight enough for daytime, and it sits well under makeup - something I look for in my eye creams - so that's worth noting too. Still, it's not my favourite so I wouldn't use it again. Purchase? No.

Alpha-H Liquid Gold Firming Eye Cream

I really enjoyed this eye cream and I recommend it. Yes it's expensive, but I was able to buy mine for around $60 so it wasn't too bad in the end. I've reviewed it here.

It’s very lightweight but also very hydrating, and it has kept my dry skin feeling comfortable for the time I've been using it. It also spreads and applies well, and a little goes a long way so the tube lasted me ages.

Plus it keeps my dry skin feeling soft and nourished but not weighed down so I can use it both morning and night, and it makes my eye area look brighter and more awake when I apply it. I'm missing it now that it's gone but I'm also ready to try other things. Repurchase? Yes.

In sum

This wasn't a bad round of empties and I'm glad that I've managed to get a third empties post out for the month.

My favourite items in this lot were the Alpha-H eye cream, the BareMinerals serum and the Garnier micellar water. Everything else I can take or leave.

That's all from me. Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.