February 2019 empties #2

/
0 Comments

I'm hoping to get three empties posts done for both February and March, since I have my makeup and skincare inventories coming up next month and I want to remove as many items as possible from my collection before then. I'll see how I go.

The other thing I'm keen to do both this month and next is get my Project Pan list moving, because it was a slow start to the year and I want to make better progress on more stuff. Fingers crossed.

Anyhoo! Empties. In no particular order...


Garnier Colour Last Shampoo & Conditioner

Full review here. These products were fine but they didn't do anything amazing for my hair so I personally wouldn't buy them. 

The shampoo smelled lovely and fruity, and it washed my hair well without stripping it - plus it did a good job of removing any build-up from my hair. The conditioner smelled fruity too, although there was a chemical scent underneath that, which overtook the fruit.

What I found with these products combined is that my hair always felt heavy and coated after use, and it looked dull to boot. It's as though I could never wash all of the conditioner out - and I think that, of the two products, it's the conditioner I had issues with and not so much the shampoo. Purchase? No.


St Tropez Luxe Tan Dry Oil

This was a good product but it was expensive for a self-tanner and I would only ever buy it on special, and to be honest, I wouldn't even buy it on special again because it's not my favourite: I prefer Bondi Sands' tanning oil (reviewed here). I've reviewed this St Tropez version here.

It had a thin, light texture and a little went a long way so the bottle lasted ages. The product came out a warm brown colour so I could see where I'd applied it, which is my preference. Something that bothered me about this product, however, was the very strong ginger scent. It was so strong that I found it to be overwhelming, and it also lingered for hours after application.

I did however love the tan I got from this product. It wasn't orange (more of a golden brown) and it also lasted a week - despite the fact that I exfoliate my body twice or three times weekly - plus it faded evenly so it never looked patchy. Repurchase? No.

L'Occitane Almond Shower Scrub

Full review here. This was a lovely product and it was a pleasure to use, but it was also expensive and it wasn't the most effective scrub I've tried so I wouldn't buy it again.

It was a gel/oil hybrid with a sweet, almond flower scent. The texture was smooth and gorgeous, and I enjoyed putting it on my skin - so I definitely liked using the product for the experience alone.

As for the exfoliating grains, they were quite small and they were also sparse so I didn't get a super effective exfoliation from this product: it was more of a soft polish, which is fine if that's what you're after, but I prefer something with more punch. I also needed to use too much per application, so it wasn't good value. Repurchase? No


Batiste Dry Shampoo (Mamba)

This is a really excellent dry shampoo and I'm glad I found the range. It did exactly what it says it will do: made my hair look/feel cleaner and fresher, plus it added body and texture to boot. It's available in different scents and I've reviewed this one here.

It also worked if eg I'd used a product that left my hair feeling heavy and coated, so if I used a shampoo/conditioner combo that left a film, a few sprays of this would manage the issue well. Plus it made my hair easier to brush, added some shine and made my hair feel softer. Love. Repurchase? Already have.

Jergens Crema Deep Conditioning Body Cream with Shea Butter

Full review here. I really enjoyed this product and I would absolutely buy it again. It was perfect for my dry skin and I enjoyed the experience of using it, plus it wasn't super expensive so it's one I would recommend.

It was a beautifully rich, thick and creamy product with a gorgeous shea butter scent that was definitely there but it wasn't overpowering. I enjoyed using it for the scent and texture alone. I also liked that it was super nourishing and hydrating, but it didn't feel too heavy for my dry skin. Plus it spread and absorbed well, and a little went a long way so the tub lasted me a while. Repurchase? Yes.


Dermaveen Skin Renewal Face Serum

Full review here. I've used and enjoyed Dermaveen products before, but this one didn't work for me and I wouldn't use it again. It was lightweight and thin, and while I love a thin serum, unfortunately this one didn't absorb properly.

What I found while using this is that my skin always felt dry underneath it, although admittedly I have dry skin so you mightn't have this issue if you have normal or oily skin. I think what happened is that the product didn't sink in properly, and instead left a slightly sticky, white-coloured coating on my face, which is why it wasn't nourishing enough for me personally. Plus my moisturiser couldn't penetrate over the top so my skin felt dry for the whole day when I used this. Purchase? No.

Alpha-H Daily Essential Vitamin Mist

I really enjoyed this product but I wouldn't repurchase it except as a treat because it costs $50 AUD and I go through face mists too quickly to warrant that outlay.

Still, it was a gorgeous product (I've reviewed it here): it was incredibly nourishing, hydrating and soothing on my dry skin, and it added some soft radiance that suited my complexion. Having said this, I didn't like applying it more than once a day (twice max), because the more I applied, the shinier my face looked and that's when my open pores are most visible. Repurchase? Maybe.


BareMinerals Smart Combination Smoothing Lightweight Emulsion

I really enjoyed this moisturiser. I've reviewed it here. It was a thin, runny product that was more like a serum/lotion hybrid in texture, and it was cooling and soothing when applied. 

There was something about the texture that was almost a little oily, and it was hydrating and nourishing enough for my dry skin - although it's summer now so it mightn't be quite enough in the cooler months when my skin's at its driest.

After use my skin felt soft, smooth and hydrated, and the product had a slightly tacky finish that added some radiance and also worked well under makeup because it helped things adhere. Plus it was lightweight so it didn't clog pores, and it also left my skin feeling more supple. Repurchase? Maybe.

BareMinerals Pure Plush Gentle Deep Cleansing Foam

Full review here. This cleanser was a pleasure to use, but unfortunately it was drying on my skin so it's not one I would buy or recommend.

It foamed beautifully and the foam it created was wonderfully velvety, soft and rich - it was a really lovely feeling on the skin. I can see why they called it 'plush'.

The good news is that this product cleaned very well, and I had no complaints about how it performed: it was very effective. Having said this, unfortunately it had a high pH (between a 9 and a 10), and it felt astringent on my skin. Sure, it wasn't terrible, but if I used it once a day, I could feel my skin start to dry out. So for me, I couldn't use this very often and I wouldn't recommend it for sensitive skin. Repurchase? No.

In sum

This wasn't a bad bunch of empties, although I'm still glad that all these products are out of circulation so I can focus on other things.

The best items in here were the BareMinerals cream, the Alpha-H mist, the Jergens body butter and the Batiste dry shampoo. Everything else I can take or leave.

That's all from me. Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.