Cactus Skincare sample pack - review

/
0 Comments

You may remember me posting about this in October (see here).

In short, I heard on the beauty vine that Cactus Skincare was sending out sample packs for the grand total of $5 with free shipping. Not one to resist such an offer, I ordered a pack and I've finally gotten around to trialling the products.


Just to re-hash, the samples are available here. You answer a few questions so Cactus can pick products based on your skincare needs (I chose ones to suit dry and sensitive skin). 

The samples should last five to seven days, and the company sends you an email with a regimen to follow and some info to help you get started.


I've set out some background on Cactus Skincare in my initial post, so in this review post I'll just comment on the products. 

If you'd like to learn more about the company, you can also check out its website. In short, it's an Australian family company - one of the reasons I was interested in trialling the products (I do like supporting home-grown brands). Basically, Cactus aims to provide natural products that work.


I received the Lemon Myrtle Cleanser, Nature's Anti-oxidant Creme, Intense Hydrating Creme and White Clay Mask. While the samples say they're 15ml in size, they're more like 5-7ml - so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Anyhoo, let's have a look at what I was sent:


According to the email from Cactus:

The Lemon Myrtle Cleanser (for morning and evening application) uses apricot kernel oil, which is molecularly structured finely enough that it can penetrate the skin deeply, taking with it the anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties of lemon myrtle oil. It will dissolve rancid oils without stripping your skin of its vital acid mantle.

My thoughts: I didn't like this at all unfortunately. While it smells wonderful, it doesn't feel like it cleans very well and seems to leave a film behind on your skin - hardly what you want from your cleanser! I've found myself having to cleanse again after using it, not only to wash makeup/grime from my face properly, but also to remove the remains of the cleanser itself.

The Nature’s Anti-Oxidant Creme (for morning application) will protect your skin from free radical damage and counteract the effects of that damage. It may also reduce the appearance of sun spots and freckles.

My thoughts: This smells strongly of lavender. That's not a criticism, just a comment. Unfortunately I wasn't a big fan of this one either - I think some would find it moisturising enough, but it wasn't for me. I had to add extra moisturiser on top because it didn't hydrate me enough. Again, it left me with a film on my skin, so I'm wondering whether this is a problem with the brand in general.


According to the email:

The White Clay Mask (for use once a week, preferably in the evening before going out) removes toxins and generally promotes even skin tone. Apparently you should see results after one application. Cactus notes that it can sting a little for the first minute or two, so maybe try some behind your ear first, just to make sure you're comfortable.

My thoughts: This is probably the best item in the bunch. It does sting a bit when first applied, so do be aware of that. It's only the best item of the bunch though because I didn't notice any negative aspects (eg leftover residue), but I didn't notice much positive stuff either. My skin looked a bit brighter after use (the same way it would if you'd splashed water on it), but it also felt dry so I had to apply heaps of moisturiser afterwards.

The Intense Hydrating Creme (for night application) is for restorative hydration; at night time, your skin is in repair mode and hungry for nutrients.

My thoughts: This one smelled pretty weird. I can't pinpoint the smell exactly - it was just a little off and quite overpowering. As with the day moisturiser, it didn't moisturise too well and I had to apply cream from another brand after use. This one didn't leave a film like the day cream did, however, so that's a plus at least!

Verdict

Well, I didn't think much of these samples, did I?!

Hoh well, you can't win them all. I've seen plenty of people rave about Cactus products online, so as always, different products work better for some people and not so well for others.

I'm glad I've had the chance to trial this brand though, so at least I can cross it off my list and know that the products aren't for me.

Have you tried any Cactus products? Let me know what you think if so : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.